GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC stinks but only with recirc on

Coondog

Weigh in on this - my AC stinks like feet when I turn it off after running it for a while (I usually do this at the end of drives to dry out the system before shutting off), but it will only stink if it's been on air recirculation. Otherwise, if I run the AC without air recirc there's no smell.

What's up with that? How do I fix it? Thanks!

Tone1

Ready to race!
Only with recirc in? Maybe wash your feet?

In all seriousness, not sure about that, good luck.

Coondog

Only with recirc in? Maybe wash your feet?

Haha someone at work made the same joke. I wish it was that simple...

It happens after turning off the recirc function. Like there's some moldy funky stuff in the line, but only when switching between recirc and non recirc. The smell fades in a few minutes after that

defcon5

Ready to race!
My MK5 had that. Pulled the cabin filter and tossed it in the bin, never to use one again. No more did my car smell like a dirty whore from the west side

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Coondog: Check whether you are getting water underneath the car with the AC switched-on (should happen if the AC is OK). If you see water dripping , then it's probably bacteria growing on the AC ducts and/or condenser coil. If you don't see water dripping under the car, you could have a blocked drain tube

Don

greypanter

Ready to race!
Coondog: Check whether you are getting water underneath the car with the AC switched-on (should happen if the AC is OK). If you see water dripping , then it's probably bacteria growing on the AC ducts and/or condenser coil. If you don't see water dripping under the car, you could have a blocked drain tube

Don
I have a similar problem, but only when I 1st start the AC, the smell goes away after 30 seconds or so. I never had any water dripping underneath the car. Pulled the the evaporator drain hose and it looks like it has never seen and water looks brand new with no sign of h2o. Went to my local dealer and they told me it's normal for some cars to not drip any water. I live in Utah temp is usually in the high 90 and humidity is usually around 30% which isn't too bad

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

greypanter

Ready to race!
@Op; have you already replaced the cabin air filter? If not that might be your issue, start there

Coondog

Thanks everyone. I did see some condensation dripping last night when it was a little more humid. Colorado's pretty dry so I don't see that often, but it rules out the drain hose. I bought some Klima cleaner and I'll pull the air filter and take a look when I clean everything out. I'll let you all know if it helps.

It's still funny to me that it really only stinks when turning the recirc on/off and actually seems independent of the AC. Gotta love the complicated mysteries of cars - these are the types of problems dealers will never fix

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Change the filter. You won't see visual evidence of mold. And make sure you use a carbon impregnated one.

Last edited:

Coondog

Sounds good. Can someone post a link to a recommended cabin filter? I can also just buy one from the dealer I guess.

Last edited:

greypanter

Ready to race!
Sounds good. Can someone post a link to a recommended cabin filter? I can also just buy one from the dealer I guess.
Am getting this one

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Mann might make it too. Both are VW suppliers. Doesn't mean they're identical to filters bought from a dealer. I think dealer charges $20? BTW, many dealers give a 10% discount to vets.