GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A3 Hatch vs. GTI MK7 Autobahn

afroman

So here I am, 17 year old looking for a first car.
I snowboard.

I'm trying to decide between an A3 Hatch and an MK7 (I realize I'm on a Vdub site). I'm leaning towards an MK7 but I want someone to tell me why an MK7 is a better choice (besides the fact that the interior on the MK7 kicks the A3 Hatch's ass).

I sometimes just feel like the GTI MK7 is too small. Idk. Help haha.

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
If Audi had the new A3 in a hatch here in the US, I would have bought that instead.

Despite owning my GTI, I saw a Red A3 yesterday and I realized I really do like that car. More than my GTI? Maybe...

The A3 hatch is a bit bigger than the GTI. It has more utility, in my opinion, because of that. However, in both cases, I'd probably say get a roof rack for your board and let the interior be for luggage and/or passengers. It will also be more luxurious, but aged a bit since the hatches aren't as recent as the GTI. That depends a lot on your tastes, and so does any comfort.

However, any A3 hatch you find will be most likely be used, and with used cars comes used problems, so keep that in mind. (CPO would be the best option for used, but all used cars are used for a reason.)

That said, no one can tell you what car you should by, they can only recommend them. I would recommend finding the cars you want to test drive, and let your heart and mind decide.

James75

Go Kart Champion
I snowboard.

I'm trying to decide between an A3 Hatch and an MK7 (I realize I'm on a Vdub site). I'm leaning towards an MK7 but I want someone to tell me why an MK7 is a better choice (besides the fact that the interior on the MK7 kicks the A3 Hatch's ass).

If you buy an Audi - you'll have to learn to drive very fast, very close to the person in front of you, often in a completely dangerous way (known as the 'Full Audi').

I'd find that tough, it's dangerous and everyone will hate you.

On a serious note, in the real world, I think the Golf will do everything you want to do.

Unless you really want a pop up sat nav and a MMI controller on the centre console.

James

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I test drove the A3 and the ride was terrible compared to the Golf, the seats were not that comfy either. It was an easy decision for me.

misaka

Ready to race!
I snowboard.

Then in all seriousness, I recommend a Subaru Forester. Going to have all the space you need for gear, more rugged interior, and a decent AWD system to get you to all the good snow.

afroman

Seventeen and you are considering an A3! Your parents need to hold out on you more. Get a 10 year old used Ford Ranger and put your board in the back and be happy.

I've been working for the last 2 years and have been saving Christmas money since I was 6. I am appreciative that they're only having me pay for 1/3 of it. I'm going to College next year and am going to be driving this for a while clearly. I'm going to make the investment now in a good car rather than some trashy truck that's going to give me problems
;)

Then in all seriousness, I recommend a Subaru Forester. Going to have all the space you need for gear, more rugged interior, and a decent AWD system to get you to all the good snow.

Honestly the reason I want a hatch is to avoid getting an SUV.

misaka

Ready to race!
I've been working for the last 2 years and have been saving Christmas money since I was 6. I am appreciative that they're only having me pay for 1/3 of it. I'm going to College next year and am going to be driving this for a while clearly. I'm going to make the investment now in a good car rather than some trashy truck that's going to give me problems
;)

Completely understandable, I loved my GTI, but I'll be honest, even though it was great in the snow, AWD is still better. As for investment for reliability for a long term drive, run.... lol, I love VAG products, but I'd be the last one to trumpet how reliable they would be in the long run. Since you will keep it for a while to drive in college, and you like the outdoors, maybe something wagony since you don't like SUVs? Only things in the US at the moment are things like the Subaru Outback or Audi AllRoad. If you can wait until 2015, you can get the Golf Sportwagen, possibly with 4 motion AWD, which would give you more space. I loved the practicality of a GTI, but it could have used a little more space inside back end. the Golf R will be fun with AWD, but again is in another price bracket and not that high on my reliability list

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
;)

I don't know, I have been thinking about buying a GTI but I think the "summer tires" will be bad in the snow. The all seasons on the standard Golf would be a lot better in my opinion. Sacrilege - buy the GTI and change wheels and tires with someone with a golf SE.

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
Test drive both and do what your heart tells you! I'm on my second gti and even though it has a few problems (being all new), i would still buy it again in a heartbeat, thats how much i love it!

My mom drives an Audi, dad a Porsche and my brother a BMW. Having driven all 3 that are crazy fast, theres just something about the gti that puts a grin on my face everytime! Just the start up and the drive are amazing, put ur foot down and dsg farts make u grin everytime :p

I also drove the audi and hated the ride and the interior, but i am biased as a previous gti owner. As for the gti being small...ive loaded a few IKEA flatpacks in there which were impossible in the BMW, its actually quite spacious!

You're already blessed with having these two choices, might as well make it count!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Gti is lighter than audi and has more room for seating, not to mention price. I wish i had parents like you, my parents almost bought me a mk5 gli with dsg when mk6s just came out. Although be careful out there, my mk6 just got totaled by someone your age, im sure youre a better driver than her. Especially when you go college, i would be apprehensive to take my car there but luckily the college i go to was 10 miles from my house so no rent etc. lot of my friends cars came out dented from hit n runs.

If you buy an Audi - you'll have to learn to drive very fast, very close to the person in front of you, often in a completely dangerous way (known as the 'Full Audi').

I'd find that tough, it's dangerous and everyone will hate you.

On a serious note, in the real world, I think the Golf will do everything you want to do.

Unless you really want a pop up sat nav and a MMI controller on the centre console.

James

We dont have that sort of audi stereotype in the US but i find it humorous as advice, although we do with bmws, audis are somewhat getting there

Seventeen and you are considering an A3! Your parents need to hold out on you more. Get a 10 year old used Ford Ranger and put your board in the back and be happy.

Come to community colleges in dc suburbs, everytime when i drove my mk6 gti around them i feel like im in a 1990 corolla, not to mention, gtr drivers, range rovers, 7 series etc, mostly either diplomat or middle east foreign exchange students

You'll get laid more if you buy the A3.

Not in the car right, op should slap an audi or even a bmw badge, they wont even have a clue :laugh:

afroman

Gti is lighter than audi and has more room for seating, not to mention price. I wish i had parents like you, my parents almost bought me a mk5 gli with dsg when mk6s just came out. Although be careful out there, my mk6 just got totaled by someone your age, im sure youre a better driver than her. Especially when you go college, i would be apprehensive to take my car there but luckily the college i go to was 10 miles from my house so no rent etc. lot of my friends cars came out dented from hit n runs.

We dont have that sort of audi stereotype in the US but i find it humorous as advice, although we do with bmws, audis are somewhat getting there

Come to community colleges in dc suburbs, everytime when i drove my mk6 gti around them i feel like im in a 1990 corolla, not to mention, gtr drivers, range rovers, 7 series etc, mostly either diplomat or middle east foreign exchange students

Not in the car right, op should slap an audi or even a bmw badge, they wont even have a clue :laugh:

Yeah the college I'm (hopefully) getting to is actually about 5 miles from my house so I'll be commuting back and forth.

I went with my parents this and test drove a Mark 7 GTI autobahn edition and test drove a certified pre-owned 2012 Audi A3 sport back and I loved the GTI. Safe to say I made my decision and will hopefully be getting it in a couple months :D