GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6" or 6.5" wide 15" wheels

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Thanks but I was now also asking about 7J because I'm considering wider tyres (225).

Last edited:

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Has anyone used 225/50/R16 tyres on 7J wheels ? Do they fit alright ?

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I daily drive and autocross on 15s.

I have three motivations to stay on 15s.
a. Even though our roads are good, my suspension mods create their own NVH and I don't wish to enhance it with low profile tires.
b. At autocross, the stickiest tires are around 23" diameter, compared to 25" stock. The smaller diameter is a huge pickup in torque for that activity.
c. Cost. For DD tires and autocross tires, tire cost is relatively small.

In the USA, it is very hard to find 5x112 in 15s with a width wider than 7". JNC is the only thing I've seen above 7". Please chime in anyone with others, I'm interested!

There are some choices in 7". I run old Passat spare steel rims for autocross with 205 50r15 200 (23" diameter). I have run this tire on 6" as well and I think you will be fine with pretty much any 205 on 6". 6.5" would be better. 7"s are perfect.

I may eventually size up to accomodate wider rims and tires, but 15s are working for me.

Last edited:

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Thanks, I'd rather stay at less than 1% difference from factory size. For 205 that would be 205/60/R15 (-1.2%). The trouble I've found is that almost no producer has performance tyres for 15", and I sure can't find any locally. Are any of those below any good ? They are the best tyres on 15" that can be found locally. The only ones I and another member have heard of are the Continentals CPC:

BFG g-GRIP GO
BRIDGESTONE B250 - 91 T
BRIDGESTONE T001 TURANZA - 91 H
CONTINENTAL ContiPremiumContact 5 - 91 H
CONTINENTAL ContiPremiumContact 2 - 91 H
CONTINENTAL VancoContact 2 - 95 T
DUNLOP SP Sport FastResponse - 91 T
DUNLOP SP BLUERESPONSE - 95 XL H
DUNLOP STREETRESPONSE 2 - 91 T
PIRELLI P1 CINTURATO VERDE - 91 V
Pirelli P6 Cinturato
Pirelli P1 Cinturato

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
If you want to stay within 1pct, you will have a much broader spectrum in 16s.