GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6" or 6.5" wide 15" wheels

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Wheels of 15-16 inch for a Golf 7

I'm looking for a set of wheels. I have a 1.8 TSI which will also have software, probably stage 2. For reasons of bad roads and comfort I am looking at 15" diameter wheels.

The question is 6 or 6.5 width ? And what tyre size to go with them ? 195/65/R15 or 205/60/R15 ? Does the 205 tyre on a 6.5" wheel perform better in any significant way than the 195 on a 6" wheel ? Should I even consider a 205 tyre, or will the 195 be just as good and cheaper ?

I want the car to be fast in a straight line and also very comfortable on bad roads. Handling should be sharp and relatively easy. Performance in corners is welcome but less important. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
How bad are your roads? I think with that power you would also want more responsive handling with something like 235/45R17 tires.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
No way. I managed to bend a 14" steel rim in two places in a crater type hole-in-the-road :) 15" is what I'm after. If I don't find anything I might consider 16", but I'd like to get some opinions on those 15" options.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Where in EU are you that potholes are that bad? The US has some really bad potholes and that doesn't stop people from putting rubber bands on as tires.

My stock 1.8TSI came with 15x6 alloy "Lyons" and 195/65/15 rubber. I upgraded to 17x7" Portos with 225/45/17 rubber and I don't believe the suspension works any harder or rides any harsher.

I can't imagine the stock 195s being able to handle a tune. They could barely handle the stock 1.8TSI.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Thanks for the advice. It's not just the craters, it's my comfort as well. I have back problems which have problems of their own, so a hard ride is out of the question for me on bad uneven roads, which there are aplenty over here even if I manage to avoid the bad potholes. One of the reasons I went with the Golf is its smooth soft ride.

So you say the 195 tyres on 15" wheels can't handle a tune ? :( Would a 205 tyre improve that in any significant way ? Like I said I might consider going to 16", but I would like to get some definitive opinions on 15" wheels first.

e3syler

Passed Driver's Ed
Don’t go down a size in tire width. The wider tire will give you a bigger foot print more traction and looks better. If you want comfort you’ll want to focus on the aspect ratio number. I’d go with 205/55r15 and run a lower air pressure for a softer ride. I run 225/40R18 with a 32psi and the ride is smooth on my 16 Gti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
195 would be my choice for a snow or rain tire. For a Stage 2 car, especially front wheel drive, I'd want at least a 225, preferably wider.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
As someone that was actually stage 1 with 195/65r15 tires, I say

Go with 15x7.5 or 15x8 with a 225 or 235/55 tire.

Now if you have the 1.4, 195 tie should be fine but if you have the 1.8, definitely get a wider tire

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
So you're saying the width of the tyre is the primary factor, and sidewall height is less important ? So a 225 tyre on a 15" wheel would be better than a 205 or 215 on a 16" wheel to put down the power ?

Subito

Ready to race!
I have 205/55-16 Conti DWS06 tires on my 16x6.5 inch wheels and love both the traction and the comfort, very smooth ride.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Well the widest 15" wheel I can easily find locally has 7". How would a 225/55/R15 tyre sit on a 7" wide wheel ?

e3syler

Passed Driver's Ed
225 is the max for that size. I’d go with a 205 or 215.
What size Tyre does the vehicle recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
I know it is the max, that's why I asked what's it like in practice. Factory tyres for 15" are 195 on 6J wheels, while I'm considering 7J wheels (can't find any wider for 15").

Last edited:

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Apparently the max width I can easily find is 7J for 15" as well as 16" wheels. For those who have had 225 tyres on 7J wide wheels, either 225/55/R15 or 225/50/R16, how do they fare in practice ?

Last edited: