GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

50k miles valve cleaning exploration time

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Berrymans B12? I think i may have some of that, hmm...

It also eats seals, so be careful how you use it. CRC on the other hand was design to attack carbon while being easy on the seals.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
I attempted to get my bore scope in through the MAP sensor. While it fit i could not see enough of where the camera was. Maybe my LED's aren't bright enough but it did make it in and down to the valve area.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I quoted 4 hours for the job when I turned wrenches. Used a walnut blaster. Did wonders. Granted, that was when the Mk7 first came out and I left the trade before any reached any such mileage.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Good old old schoolers...
Without a oil analysis you will not be able to tell one way or another.

I've been doing changes every 7.5k miles since all the research I've done points to 10k miles being just fine for those that don't thrash on their cars.

If you're hard on your car (several Italian tune UPS on every trip) bump it down to 7500. If you regularly take the car to track events then 5k or so. If it's a track only car change it more often than that.

Again, get a oil analysis to know for sure.

VWR has one of the best oil catch cans available. Though not for the reason that you would generally buy one. With a stage 1 or higher car it becomes necessary to pick one up. If you track the car (especially road course tracks) it's mandatory to have it.

Reason why:
The VWR Oil Catch Can System also takes the track & motorsport experience of these engines to correct the problem of oil build-up in the top of the engine during high-G braking.

FWIW I do 7,500 with three track days a year as my own oil analysis has come up looking good. YMMV based on driving style, ambient temp ect, ect.

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
The Focus guys have a system to keep their intake valves clean. I looked into it when I had to do the carbon cleaning on my MK6. It's a water/methanol mix that is injected via a throttle body spacer and it does an excellent job.

I did my MK6 at around 50k. Symptoms were rough cold idle and occasional misfire codes for cylinder 2.

The buildup was heavy and very difficult to remove. I was soaking the valves in carbon cleaner and was using picks and wire brushes in a drill to remove the build up. It wasn't oil...more like lava rock. lol

Unless you're starting off with a clean system, I'm really skeptical that you can remove build up by running something through the system. Just plan to do it every 40-50k. It's a fairly easy job after the first time. ;)

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I just sprayed 3 cans of crc and now my engine farts black smoke. Map sensor shit the bed, and my turbo blade is micro polished. :).

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I just sprayed 3 cans of crc and now my engine farts black smoke. Map sensor shit the bed, and my turbo blade is micro polished. :).

Why not spray the entire 6-pack while you were at it? Geez, 3 cans??? Sometimes more in not better.

How did you administered it? The safest way is to unplug and remove MAP sensor and spray it directly into the manifold. I bet you did it trough the air intake, didn't you?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Why not spray the entire 6-pack while you were at it? Geez, 3 cans??? Sometimes more in not better.

How did you administered it? The safest way is to unplug and remove MAP sensor and spray it directly into the manifold. I bet you did it trough the air intake, didn't you?

He is kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Quick update, sorry no picture to post at the moment, although I did take some pics. I was able to get an endoscopic camera close to the #3 intake valves, through the MAP sensor bung, but was not abke to get a full view. However, I could see enough to know that at 3000mi on the odometer, there is definitely already a light buildup of crud. Probably wouldn't have made it out with the grainy camera image, except for the cleaned or cleaner zone up on the valve stem... Although, the valves seemed closed? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was some buildup. I guess there is some kind of swirl control flap in the intake runner? I couldn't get past it with the camera...

Pretty convinced that, assuming solvents can help a lot, I'll tap or drill the molded port-injector blank ports. Probably can't be done with manifold in place...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Quick update, sorry no picture to post at the moment, although I did take some pics. I was able to get an endoscopic camera close to the #3 intake valves, through the MAP sensor bung, but was not abke to get a full view. However, I could see enough to know that at 3000mi on the odometer, there is definitely already a light buildup of crud. Probably wouldn't have made it out with the grainy camera image, except for the cleaned or cleaner zone up on the valve stem... Although, the valves seemed closed? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was some buildup. I guess there is some kind of swirl control flap in the intake runner? I couldn't get past it with the camera...

Pretty convinced that, assuming solvents can help a lot, I'll tap or drill the molded port-injector blank ports. Probably can't be done with manifold in place...

Sadly this doesn't surprise me.

There is a flap in the intake manifold. I couldn't seem to get my scope by it when i attempted this.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Searched for "Injector bung plug" and apparently these can be purchased...

http://thedubshop.com/14mm-fuel-injector-plug/

I'm contemplating using a dremmel and vacuum to carefully open the ports without removing manifold. I could use a small vacuum tube to suck out any debris that falls into the runners, but trust that whatever small manifold plastic shavings get into the motor, won't really hurt it... Dremmel because grinding will hopefully create fine dust that will be less likely to cause damage, more likely to combust.

Would need a dummy fuel rail to hold the plugs against boost pressure...

PS: trying to find close up images of interior of the manifold. I found the part number, and some images, but not super clear. Ideally I'd be able to hold a manifold assembly in my hand... Maybe a junk yard?? Or maybe a dealer might have one by chance? This is to plan out the drilling/cutting procedure.

Last edited:

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
OK, some updates. I've done a few things.

I tested the CRC intake valve cleaner on a cold valve on the bench that had some carbon crusting. After an hour it seemed to do very little. I'll perform more testing with other specimens, and at elevated temp.

I re-inspected my #3 intake valves with the endoscope. This time, I used a hand vacuum pump (Mity-Vac TM) to actuate the intake runner flapper valves. Very simple to do. Now I was able to insert the camera all the way in. I took photos and video, but for simplicity, here are a few pics. 2987mi, I dont baby the car, and flog it regularly, but I do drive easy for economy most of the time.

I think my next task, after more detailed analysis of the solvent power of the various chemicals, will be to administer frequent and regular treatments of the CRC into my #3 runner via the MAP port, and see if there is any noticeable improvement. I'm thinking once every 200-500 miles. This assumes the chemical testing suggests it's worthwhile.

Note, I'm quite sure the valves are closed, even though they appear to be open. I took video of the valves while pushing the car in gear - the valves did not move.

Last edited: