GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

400 crank hp

Davey Jones

Ready to race!
On the R I would think a stage 2+ tune, downpipe, intercooler and intake may get you pretty close. Would need a new clutch if you are manual.

matimer

Ready to race!
What new tune are you talking about? The e85 tune? They already have a stage1 and stage2 tune for the Golf R. They just need to unlock the ECU.

matimer

Ready to race!
They already have a stage 2 tune which made 382HP at the crank if you're interested ( according to their website). The e85 tune should be interesting. I haven't heard of their water meth injection tune.

I still think it's going to take awhile to release. I think their top priority right now is unlocking the ECU.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
I read on their Facebook page that they are doing something different with their existing MK7 Golf R tunes. Apparently their turbo upgrade for the A3/GTI platform makes more power than the Golf R tune and the Golf R has many more upgraded/forged internals.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I read on their Facebook page that they are doing something different with their existing MK7 Golf R tunes. Apparently their turbo upgrade for the A3/GTI platform makes more power than the Golf R tune and the Golf R has many more upgraded/forged internals.

APR made over 400hp/400tq with the IS38 tune on a GTI/A3 and they are going to take what they learned here and apply this to the R tune in the near future too. The Golf R has nothing that is forged that the GTI doesn't have too FYI.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
APR made over 400hp/400tq with the IS38 tune on a GTI/A3 and they are going to take what they learned here and apply this to the R tune in the near future too. The Golf R has nothing that is forged that the GTI doesn't have too FYI.

Oh wow ok! What is different inside the R motor then? I thought it was a better head, strong rods and Pistons or something?

Mahojda80

Ready to race!
Think I'm just gonna wait, save up for an upgraded clutch then let all hell break loose with the Stage 2 Tune!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Oh wow ok! What is different inside the R motor then? I thought it was a better head, strong rods and Pistons or something?

Rods/crank/block/sleeves/bearings/mains are identical, R's pistons have different oil colors in them and slightly lower compression (made of the same metals though)... those are the only components that determine how much power a motor can hold. The R and GTI head castings are the same, but the R head is made of a different alloy, the exhaust cam is made to make more peak TQ but less midrange and torque, and the exhaust valves are different too.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Rods/crank/block/sleeves/bearings/mains are identical, R's pistons have different oil colors in them and slightly lower compression (made of the same metals though)... those are the only components that determine how much power a motor can hold. The R and GTI head castings are the same, but the R head is made of a different alloy, the exhaust cam is made to make more peak TQ but less midrange and torque, and the exhaust valves are different too.

In addition to what RJ mentioned, I believe I read that the valve springs are different too.

I'll try to do some digging to find it.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
In addition to what RJ mentioned, I believe I read that the valve springs are different too.

I'll try to do some digging to find it.

You are referring to the valve spring seat rings located on the head that the exhaust valve springs sit on... they are stronger because the exhaust cam has a taller and more narrow lobe that it applies more pressure to the spring and head in that particular area. Not needed with the GTI head because its cam is tuned for a wider power band so it's not as tall and does not apply as much pressure to that area.