GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
That's a neat version of a third hand. Never heard of them before. Not a terrible price either for what it can do. I'm assuming you can use any magnetic surface besides the included one?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Have you guys seen the new K1 max from creality?

https://store.creality.com/products/k1-max-3d-printer?utm_source=Creality&utm_campaign=6a14d96ecd-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2023_08_11_09_01_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-3cbb92e0c0-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]&mc_cid=6a14d96ecd&mc_eid=04c5f8752e

300x300x300mm build plate, 600mm/s printing, lidar, AI to watch for print failures and obstructions, and all for less than a prusa mk4.

If this is the future of 3D printers I can't wait.
This is really nice. I hope the actual product is as nice. LiDAR is probably not going to be as widespread as you think. It has limitations with bed surface and such being a factor. It’s a great step, for sure. I wonder if they’re using a fork if Spaghetti Detective or if they designed their own.

IMHO, Prusa is slipping in quality and just trying to ride off the Mk3 success. Bambu is putting out a decent alternative in the same price range and the Prusa XL is riddled with problems. They release half baked products that aren’t Mk3 based and then let the end user sort it out so long as they’re shipping a product.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
The parts are still rolling in for my Mercury One.1 build. Had to build an enclosure for my E3V2 to print the parts. After a lot of wasted filament, I have it dialed in pretty well I think. I also built a bench where the printer will live. Here are some intermediate pics until I finish printing everything and then I can start building it.

71356844106__6C434991-8EC5-4432-BA8C-0A65A317C20F.jpeg

I actually have doors on this now. Much easier.

IMG_6735.jpeg

This was all material I had, so I used it. Only thing I didn’t have were the feet. You can actually see the doors I cut for the enclosure on the left.

IMG_6727.jpeg

A little color way teaser.

I’ve bought new tools of course too. Some nice Wera Allen drivers, a Brother label maker that prints on heat shrink and I picked up supplies for a DIY soda blaster. I am hoping to test that tonight.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Looking good. Even your wooden structure is miles better than the hack job I did w/cardboard boxes when I was first learning about 3D printing.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Looking good. Even your wooden structure is miles better than the hack job I did w/cardboard boxes when I was first learning about 3D printing.
Thanks. It was also cobbled together from scrap. I only purchased one piece of MDF and the piano hinges. I’m a material hoarder for stuff like this. The MDF, hinges and feet still set me back about $60. The hinges are kind of crap too.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
For building enclosures, do we really have to move the PSU to the outside of the enclosure, or is that just internet over-worrying?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
For building enclosures, do we really have to move the PSU to the outside of the enclosure, or is that just internet over-worrying?
I don’t see why you would have to, but I don’t see why you can’t move it to the exterior if there’s enough slack. I wouldn’t go through the trouble. A lot of these companies sell enclosures that slide the whole printer right inside.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2965407

Nvm, found one. Just have to find a local spot to print it

I can print it for you and ship it for a small fee.

Mine is inside the enclosure but if you buy a prusa enclosure they have you move it to the outside. On long prints everything does get hot so maybe if you are doing 8+ hour prints with 110 degree bed temps it would matter.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Mine is inside the enclosure but if you buy a prusa enclosure they have you move it to the outside. On long prints everything does get hot so maybe if you are doing 8+ hour prints with 110 degree bed temps it would matter.
Perhaps. I haven’t heard of this before. I’ve seen Prusas in enclosures too. For the price of a new PSU I would rather keep it where it’s at and have to replace it than move it.

For instance:

I was getting some gnarly Z banding on parts out of nowhere and making it weirder was it was apparently random as it was where it wanted to be on the part. I tried different parts, different slicer settings and then realized my belt mod was printed in PETG and was likely was failing.

71447498582__32B06266-A447-49C9-A6BF-BEE48B6EF875.jpeg

So I grabbed the Z stepper and sure as shit, it was loose. I tightened it the best I could to reprint the parts I needed. When I went to get the files, he had redesigned them, so now I need three new parts and I have a fucked printer.

If I had to keep disconnecting all the PSU connections during that to remove the printer, I would have just set the whole thing on fire myself.

IMG_6756.jpeg

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
If you buy an OE Prusa enclosure they have you mount the PS on the outside. Probably just to be on the safe side.

IMG_0816.jpeg

My printed solid enclosure that has everything inside it has been great but I have not done any prints longer than 5-6 hours in it. Will it shorten the lifespan of the PS? Possibly, they don’t like heat. Am I worried enough to move it outside the enclosure, no.