GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2023/2024 maps for Discover Media (MST2) and Discover Pro (MHIG/MHI2)

cornblatt

Car(s)
2020 e-Golf
I figured out how to add the necessary FEC to enable map updates on my 2020 eGolf 9.2" MHI2 MIB2.5, and thought I'd post some details here in case anyone else has the same issue. What I did was:
  1. Prepare a 4GB SD card with M.I.B. downloaded from here (https://github.com/Mr-MIBonk/M.I.B._More-Incredible-Bash).
  2. Add the patches to the SD card; the patches are downloaded separately from the M.I.B. utility (patches were from mibsolution.one).
  3. Check the individual folders inside the patches folder to make sure there is one for the exact Software Train Version of the unit in the car. In my case, I had Software Train Version MHI2_US_VWG13_P3662_1 but there was only a patch for MHI2_US_VWG13_P3662 (without the _1), so it would not work. I contacted one of the M.I.B. developers and they told me it was safe to rename the patch folder on the SD card to just add the "_1" so that it matched the version of my car.
  4. Still in the patches folder, inside the folder for the appropriate software train version, look for the file addFecs.txt and make sure this file contains the new FEC(s) to enable (e.g. 09310099 for map updates).
  5. Now that the SD card has all of the necessary things on it, install M.I.B. exactly according to its instructions. There are 3 steps: Install, then do a backup, then select "Flash Patched Image | Add FECs | CP/AA Coding".
  6. If this succeeds, the new FECs will be working! I checked in the service mode menu under 'Installed Codes' and the new FECs were showing there.
After this, I was able to successfully load the 2022/2023 P87 North American maps. The map update took forever to install, and right after it loaded, some alarming messages appeared (e.g. 'The navigation database is not available') and it wouldn't let me enter new destinations into the navigation system. I left it for a few minutes, then did a reboot from the green engineering menu, and it worked perfectly afterwards.

Thanks again to everyone here for pointing me in the right direction to get this working!

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
For those with NAR Harman MHI2 units, I grabbed the latest 2023-2024 update from mibsolution and applied it to my unit today without issue.

IMG_5128.png

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For those with NAR Harman MHI2 units, a delightful discovery: MIB3 High maps appear to be fully compatible with MIB2 High units. I grabbed the update from mibsolution and applied it to my unit today without issue.
Nice, didn't know these were our out. The compatibility isn't too surprising. MIB 1 and 2 use(d) the same updates.

Last edited:

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
For those with NAR Harman MHI2 units, a delightful discovery: MIB3 High maps appear to be fully compatible with MIB2 High units. I grabbed the update from mibsolution and applied it to my unit today without issue.
Those are MIB1/MIB2 maps. File name might be confusing (P336_N60S5MIBH3_NAR_2023-2024.zip) but those are not MIB3 maps.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Those are MIB1/MIB2 maps. File name might be confusing (P336_N60S5MIBH3_NAR_2023-2024.zip) but those are not MIB3 maps.
Thanks for the correction; fixed my post. The file name with MIBH3 was present in the older map names as well, so not sure why I let that confuse me 🤷‍♂️. Definitely a confusing naming structure from VW, but can't say I am surprised after their choices with the Delphi software train versioning. Nice to see they are continuing to support MHIG/MHI2 maps for now.

git443

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 e-Golf
I figured out how to add the necessary FEC to enable map updates on my 2020 eGolf 9.2" MHI2 MIB2.5, and thought I'd post some details here in case anyone else has the same issue. What I did was:
  1. Prepare a 4GB SD card with M.I.B. downloaded from here (https://github.com/Mr-MIBonk/M.I.B._More-Incredible-Bash).
  2. Add the patches to the SD card; the patches are downloaded separately from the M.I.B. utility (patches were from mibsolution.one).
  3. Check the individual folders inside the patches folder to make sure there is one for the exact Software Train Version of the unit in the car. In my case, I had Software Train Version MHI2_US_VWG13_P3662_1 but there was only a patch for MHI2_US_VWG13_P3662 (without the _1), so it would not work. I contacted one of the M.I.B. developers and they told me it was safe to rename the patch folder on the SD card to just add the "_1" so that it matched the version of my car.
  4. Still in the patches folder, inside the folder for the appropriate software train version, look for the file addFecs.txt and make sure this file contains the new FEC(s) to enable (e.g. 09310099 for map updates).
  5. Now that the SD card has all of the necessary things on it, install M.I.B. exactly according to its instructions. There are 3 steps: Install, then do a backup, then select "Flash Patched Image | Add FECs | CP/AA Coding".
  6. If this succeeds, the new FECs will be working! I checked in the service mode menu under 'Installed Codes' and the new FECs were showing there.
After this, I was able to successfully load the 2022/2023 P87 North American maps. The map update took forever to install, and right after it loaded, some alarming messages appeared (e.g. 'The navigation database is not available') and it wouldn't let me enter new destinations into the navigation system. I left it for a few minutes, then did a reboot from the green engineering menu, and it worked perfectly afterwards.

Thanks again to everyone here for pointing me in the right direction to get this working!

I am considering doing this as I'm in the exact same situation (same car). What are the downsides of using M.I.B. to add the FEC code? My car is still under warranty. After M.I.B. is installed and the FEC added, does a soft code show up in the 5F module when scanning with VCDS/OBDeleven?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I am considering doing this as I'm in the exact same situation (same car). What are the downsides of using M.I.B. to add the FEC code? My car is still under warranty. After M.I.B. is installed and the FEC added, does a soft code show up in the 5F module when scanning with VCDS/OBDeleven?
M.I.B. may generate a Software Version Management Error (SVM) code in 5F after it is installed; however, M.I.B. has a function to clear the fault. Beyond that, it's technically possible for a dealer to notice but unlikely.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thanks everyone. Followed the instructions from cornblatt above and everything worked out great, although I managed to get a later version of the maps?
Latest version of maps was released after Cornblatt's instructions, I would imagine Cornblatt has updated again and has the same 2023/2024.

That FEC is for "lifetime" updates, so you'll be able to update as long as VW puts out new versions. Assuming you downloaded from MIBsolution, they tend to get rid of the old versions so they only thing you'll see whatever is current.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I wonder if us MST2 folks will ever get a map update at this point; I think the latest for NAR is still 2021.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I wonder if us MST2 folks will ever get a map update at this point; I think the latest for NAR is still 2021.
Given the time since the last update and that VW isn't selling cars with MST2 anymore, the probability doesn't seem very high :(. I am honestly surprised that there continue to be MHI2/MHIG map updates. At least there's maps through Android Auto or CarPlay.

Last edited: