GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
I had two stalls when I first got the car last weekend. First pulling out to the dealer lot (cold engine), second after driving three hours home and pulling in for gas.

I haven’t stalled since. Been using 93, can’t see how there would be a fix in that, but maybe I’m lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My 2016 DSG gti has done as you describe on the odd occasion, I don’t think it’s the same issue, worth mentioning (if you’re not already aware) that DSG cars with stop/start DO sometimes cut out before a complete stop, this seams to be dependent on brake pedal position/pressure and is mentioned in the owners manual, would it be possible for you to upload the video here also? Would be interested to see it.

He said that he had start/stop turned off so that's irrelevant.

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Adding one more voice to the choir. 2019 GTI SE with DSG (Bay Area California). Build date 6/19. Bought car with 10 miles on odometer. Car has less than 300 miles on it, and have had stalling incidents over the last three days. All occurred at low speeds when rolling to a stop, with car in manual mode of DSG and Auto Stop turned off. In first incident A/C was on; last two series of stall episodes with A/C off. All occurred at "normal" engine operating temperature. First stall episode was during normal stop at last stop sign before home. Thought that one was maybe fault with Auto Stop (even though it was turned off at the time). Next two days, purposely tried to induce stall (slow rolling speed in 1st or 2nd, then a normal stop), all with Auto Stop turned off. First incident of stall, the engine just died (manual restart light came on). All subsequent induced stalls, car had momentary rough idle, then a shudder and then the engine died, "manual restart" light came on. Induced stall occurred after 30-40 attempts, and then repeatable after first stall on that drive. In total, witnessed 6 stalls in three days. Took video on last stall episode and taking that, with posts off this forum, to dealer next week. When I called to make service appointment, advisor wasn't aware of any such problem. Will update to the forum as this evolves. Also NHTSA site won't recognize my VIN, so will call them on Monday to register complaint. Really hoped a DSG equipped GTI wouldn't become a part of this discussion, but there's support in numbers.

not technically an approved oil for the emissions choked 2019s, but try this oil (it's still VW 504.00 cert)

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...thetic-motor-oil-1-quart-550043041/11356222-P

Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 1 Quart AKA - Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0w30. which is one of Shells best Euro oils.

Last edited:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Adding another poss 2p's worth, what engine size does the stalling issue occur, sorry if it's been mentioned ? Can't be bothered to trawl through all the replies but if a 1.5 litre is it connected with the VW 2 clyinder deactivation system whilst under minimal load ? Also, if the engine can be stalled at will, has anyone tried with the bonnet up or even just open, like in a garage, obviously not whilst driving (!), just to be able to hear what happens to the engine when stalling. Just a couple of thoughts....

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Adding another poss 2p's worth, what engine size does the stalling issue occur, sorry if it's been mentioned ? Can't be bothered to trawl through all the replies but if a 1.5 litre is it connected with the VW 2 clyinder deactivation system whilst under minimal load ? Also, if the engine can be stalled at will, has anyone tried with the bonnet up or even just open, like ina garage obviously not whilst driving (!), just to be able to hear what happens to the engine when stalling. Just a couple of thougts....

2.0 liter

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Just did another 1000 miles round trip from DC to Ann Arbor, MI. Car functioned flawlessly. Averaged 35 mpg with a fully loaded car and 3 people. Now at 5,000 + miles since the last stall. I’ll continue to report back periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Start/Stop tends to turn itself on again - depending on how it was turned off.

When my start/stop was connected the car would not shut off at a stop after using the start/stop button until the next time the car was started.

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
So I guess I’ll add my story to this thread. Bought the car in Dec; stalled once in Jan (less than 1k miles) but chalked it up to my getting used to the clutch take up. Happened a second time last week, after doing an oil change (around 9k miles), and then happened twice this morning on the way to work. Happened another couple times on the way home, so I decided to stop at the dealer. Made an appointment for next Friday for a scan, figured there was no rush since there isn’t a fix, and it was the easiest day for me to take off. I thought maybe it was only happening with the clutch in so I adjusted to let the clutch out as soon as it was in neutral, but it seems to happen either way, since I reproduced it 2-3 on the way home from the dealer.
It is definitely a safety issue since it seems to be happening when in neutral whether the clutch is in or out. They definitely need a fix soon.

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
So I guess I’ll add my story to this thread. Bought the car in Dec; stalled once in Jan (less than 1k miles) but chalked it up to my getting used to the clutch take up. Happened a second time last week, after doing an oil change (around 9k miles), and then happened twice this morning on the way to work. Happened another couple times on the way home, so I decided to stop at the dealer. Made an appointment for next Friday for a scan, figured there was no rush since there isn’t a fix, and it was the easiest day for me to take off. I thought maybe it was only happening with the clutch in so I adjusted to let the clutch out as soon as it was in neutral, but it seems to happen either way, since I reproduced it 2-3 on the way home from the dealer.
It is definitely a safety issue since it seems to be happening when in neutral whether the clutch is in or out. They definitely need a fix soon.

That's a new scenario, I think - no stalling for ~ 8K miles, then an oil change seems to brings it about again? Can you tell us what weight/spec oil was used?