GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
So those of you with the stalling issue, have you found a way to drive so that it doesn’t? I mean it seems like keeping the revs above 1k is really the only way, which means keeping the clutch slightly engaged when at a light; just enough to keep the car from moving but not enough to have the gear engaged. (Not sure if I’m explaining that well at all.)
I am asking because I’m not getting the scan at the shop until next week, and I assume there won’t be a fix suddenly coming down the pipe. We can’t keep driving these cars like this where they randomly stall. So do we start trying to initiate a buyback, even though I would prefer a fix? Just trying to figure out what the options are.

So those of you with the stalling issue, have you found a way to drive so that it doesn’t? I mean it seems like keeping the revs above 1k is really the only way, which means keeping the clutch slightly engaged when at a light; just enough to keep the car from moving but not enough to have the gear engaged. (Not sure if I’m explaining that well at all.)
I am asking because I’m not getting the scan at the shop until next week, and I assume there won’t be a fix suddenly coming down the pipe. We can’t keep driving these cars like this where they randomly stall. So do we start trying to initiate a buyback, even though I would prefer a fix? Just trying to figure out what the options are.
My dealer put 5w-40 in it and it seems to help.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. I don’t know really know anything about oil, curious how it impacts the car, gas mileage, etc

theres threads on it here, on vwvortex, and on BITOG.

basically, thinner oil is for a couple points in fuel efficiency at the expense of protection, especially in warmer climates. people are successfully running a traditional 5w40 and i'm hedging with a 0w30.

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
theres threads on it here, on vwvortex, and on BITOG.

basically, thinner oil is for a couple points in fuel efficiency at the expense of protection, especially in warmer climates. people are successfully running a traditional 5w40 and i'm hedging with a 0w30.

Good deal, thanks. I may push for that with the dealer, although from what I’ve gathered in research, a scan won’t show anything, so i’ll have to work on reproducing the issue.

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Good deal, thanks. I may push for that with the dealer, although from what I’ve gathered in research, a scan won’t show anything, so i’ll have to work on reproducing the issue.

for sure. just be aware these new 508.00 oils supposedly have a green dye for identification. it's plausible that if there's a warranty issue and parts are sent back to germany for analysis, they could determine that you weren't using an approved oil (only 508 oils are "approved" for 2019 gti, no longer 504 or 502 oils). interestingly, the Golf R and others still use the older oil. it's BS, but warrantys and all..

Interesting. I don’t know really know anything about oil, curious how it impacts the car, gas mileage, etc
My gas mileage went from struggling to get 27 mpg at 65 mph, too I'm accessing 33 mpg a tank after oil change and them resetting all adaptions.

The ECU was learning terrible things when the requested and actual timing were way off.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
for sure. just be aware these new 508.00 oils supposedly have a green dye for identification. it's plausible that if there's a warranty issue and parts are sent back to germany for analysis, they could determine that you weren't using an approved oil (only 508 oils are "approved" for 2019 gti, no longer 504 or 502 oils). interestingly, the Golf R and others still use the older oil. it's BS, but warrantys and all..

Yeah that’s why I decided to go with OEM Castrol for my first change, playing it safe. So just make sure I’ve got a 508 5W-40, got it. Curious if the dealer will do that next week, even though the engine sticker specifies 0W-20. If I’m lucky I can get the new oil and a computer flash. I guess we’ll see.

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah that’s why I decided to go with OEM Castrol for my first change, playing it safe. So just make sure I’ve got a 508 5W-40, got it. Curious if the dealer will do that next week, even though the engine sticker specifies 0W-20. If I’m lucky I can get the new oil and a computer flash. I guess we’ll see.

that's the thing. 508 spec is the first spec ever to ONLY come in 0w20. they don't make an "approved" oil thicker than 0w20 for this car; which is laughable for hotter climates like AUS or ME. but that's VWAG for you. i think the EA888s in the Macans are the same. FWIW i talked to a respected local Pcar indy who just uses 0W30 also..

also should add that if you're outside of Cali and have higher sulphur content in your fuel, you want to be careful going more than 5K on oil changes with some 504 oils.

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I traded in my 6MT and went for a DSG Rabbit (avoids stalling issues coming up and my wife can drive it now).

I have about 250k of stickshift driving under my belt, but the newer the car the less enjoyable the shifting became. Working against the delay valve, odd rev mismatching (some days idle just wants to drop faster than the delay valve will let you get into gear) and the impact of AC on killing lowend performance moving through a hilly area.

DSG completely bypasses all of those problems. I can drive in manual mode, use sport mode to smoke cars from stop lights, or keep it in D and pretend I'm brain dead dropping kids off at daycare far sooner than my brain has the proper amounts of caffeine in place.

Lack of footwork takes a bit to get used to if you want that in your day to day grind.

Honestly, this is what I’m leaning towards if they don’t find a fix soon. Is the buyback initiated with the dealer or VWofA?

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
I traded in my 6MT and went for a DSG Rabbit (avoids stalling issues coming up and my wife can drive it now).

You really really dont believe DSGs are affected I guess. I'd rather believe your other statement that if manual stalling root cause is found, the corrective action will also be applied to dsgs.

It's only happened once to us in 6000 miles so hoping you're right and we all dont get 20 stalls in a day at the 20000 mile mark.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
You really really dont believe DSGs are affected I guess. I'd rather believe your other statement that if manual stalling root cause is found, the corrective action will also be applied to dsgs.

It's only happened once to us in 6000 miles so hoping you're right and we all dont get 20 stalls in a day at the 20000 mile mark.

After rolling through all of the GTI and GLI complaints it’s like 2-3 vs 160+. If it’s a similar issue for both, the failure rate is fractional by comparison.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

If you do get another stall I would disconnect the start/stop connection by the battery to rule that out as a cause for the stalling.

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
After rolling through all of the GTI and GLI complaints it’s like 2-3 vs 160+. If it’s a similar issue for both, the failure rate is fractional by comparison.

Agreed, the ratio is so far off, DSG vs manual.

I just really like the GTI and not much else appeals to me. I looked at the Veloster N which seems very cool, but the looks and lack of boot space turn me off. I’ve always liked the WRX as well, but doesn’t seem as nice as the GTI. And then of course the Golf R, but it is probably out of my price range, depending on how the buyback works.

Last edited: