GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 G Street Nationals Dashboard

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just to make sure - you're talking about long pressing the button as "all the way off," right?

I ask because, when I ran at that local, I had used VCDS to flip a bit such that I'd get the ESC Off warning light with a long press, rather than the factory default ESC Sport setting. So when I said "all the way off" I meant that I'd made the configuration change.

Without the VCDS bit flip, my car definitely gets pissed off with me when I try to drive it like I did my dearly departed GS Focus ST from a few years ago. I didn't realize how frustrating this car is to drive in GS form until I tried the bit flip, and now I kind of wish I hadn't.
Yup. Long-pressing- all the way off.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
Same here. After seeing what @xXDavidCXx has done in STH using the larger FSB, I’m all ears and willing to experiment in GS.

I realized now that throwing the biggest rear sway bar I could find at what I perceived as the problem wasn’t the answer. I did that before I even got decent tires, an alignment, or even trying different tire pressures. I love the feel of it, but did I make the car slower?

What is a solid plan for GS? (assume there is testing and turning at each step)
  1. Full alignment with max front camber (~.9 degress), 0 or 1/8th rear toe out (minimal camber)
    • Also play with tire pressures. Dependent on wheel/tires used, type of surface.
  2. Koni Yellow Sport struts
  3. 034 23.8mm adjustable front sway bar
    • Move to more aggressive rear toe out to balance additional front stiffness, get more rotation
Is this a GS version of David’s STH recipe?

Questions I’m asking myself.
Is GS too frustrating due to fighting the stability control nannies that cannot be disabled under the current rules? How would this impact daily driving, especially in rain/snow?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Is this a GS version of David’s STH recipe?

Questions I’m asking myself.
Is GS too frustrating due to fighting the stability control nannies that cannot be disabled under the current rules? How would this impact daily driving, especially in rain/snow?
I think it will work.

I’m not sure what you are asking though.

Is this setup bad in the winter? You don’t drive your GTI in the winter.

I would get a “winter” alignment and take out any rear toe-out, if it mattered.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Is GS too frustrating due to fighting the stability control nannies that cannot be disabled under the current rules?
I think this rule is going to change in the very near future.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
I'll probably be making some trips back and forth to Lincoln this winter. Can't keep the GTI as a garage queen forever! :)

So how funky would that huge front sway bar be if alignment is set back to stock?

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I suspect you won't notice. Tire traction when conditions get poor will be the limiting factor. Doubt you could put very much load into the tires even with clear roads.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I'll probably be making some trips back and forth to Lincoln this winter. Can't keep the GTI as a garage queen forever! :)

So how funky would that huge front sway bar be if alignment is set back to stock?
Just swapped front bars on my R (granted, with a big ol rear bar too). Huge pain in the ass. I haven't driven in anger in part due to chasing down a nasty clunk (finally found it thankfully) but fast back road work it feels nicely planted. I'm running more or less stock alignment but with 0 toe front and -2.1 camber rear. Haven't driven much in wet yet but don't feel anything that would make me think it will act up in snow. Maybe need to be a bit quicker on reaction times.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I've posted my setup way back when. The car hasn't changed, the current available tires have and I don't know how that plays into it. The car worked great in that time. The current owner confirmed that after Nats 2019 he found that the H&R bar was actually broken(not sure how) so he replaced with another and he thinks the car drove way better now.

Is the car ultimately slower than Si, ESC warts and all, maybe. I don't think its as far off as most thinks. And the ESC warts from a lot of the chatters I am hearing from the SAC is potentially going away.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
My sense is that a top tier driver having a great event could probably still get it done in a GTI. But a mediocre driver like me is facing an uphill battle.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
I’m with you on this, and fully understand that there is nothing I can do to the car that will make me competitive locally or at Nats. But I do want a car setup so that as I become better it has the potential for me to be as competitive as my ability permits. Putting logic aside some of the mods will be just because I want them! In the end STH is my likely landing place even though I won’t invest huge amounts of money.

So Build plan
  • Koni Yellows
  • Front sway bar (return rear to stock) with toe out in the rear for rotation
After that I’m into STH mods
  • Wavetrac (my car doesn’t have the LSD)
  • Front camber mounts (SuperPro)
  • Tune (APR, Unitronic I don’t know)
  • Wheels
  • Consider move to coilovers to drop ride height.
That is about as far as I would plan to go and think it would be a fun car with reasonable mods.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I’m with you on this, and fully understand that there is nothing I can do to the car that will make me competitive locally or at Nats. But I do want a car setup so that as I become better it has the potential for me to be competitive. Given that I made a mistake and bought a car without the LSD, there is a ceiling on what it is capable of.
I had (and still have) no LSD the last time I ran Nats in GS, and while I'm not sure I ever would've won the car was definitely competitive (well within trophy spots). You could sell it (or build it) and take the L (which isn't even that bad with the used car prices these days) or take the opportunity to extract the most out of it given the circumstances.

If you feel like you've done everything and just aren't happy with the car or where it'll take you, then I don't think anyone would fault you for wanting to try something different

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
@bfury5 Thanks for that perspective, and you are right. I like that my car weighs in under 3,000 pounds even with the DSG. Love the color, and everything about it. Even without an LSD the car has more capability than I can take advantage of right now.

So I’ll start with things that bug me like the rear struts as I’d like a firmer ride and less bounce on Nebraska’s concrete highways.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
FWIW Koni rides like poop on any setting other than soft, at least on my Proparts revalved stuff. I pretty much only ever turn them up for events, and if I get lazy and didn't turn them back before I start my drive back I will hate myself for the duration...