GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GSW 4Motion. IS20 swap. APR IS20 91 octane. Faulty wastegate...twice?!

S1uma1

Car(s)
2018 GSW
Need some help.

So had an APR dealer install a used is20 into my 2018 GSW (45K miles). Turbo is L revision with ~40K miles per seller.

Car ran great for a few days, then EPC light came on when going up hill @2500 RPM in 6th gear. Power cycling removed the light. If would come back on sporadically under same condition until one day, the check engine light also came on. Took it back to installing dealer and the following fault code was read:

P00AF00 - Turbocharger/supercharger boot control 'A' Module. Performance (static Fault) - MIL ON

Dealer said I had a failed wastegate so they swapped in my IS12 wastegate.

A few days later, same thing. EPC w/ check engine light.

Called APR and they said nothing can be done...its a wastegate issue and the internal gears fail.

I can't be dropping hundreds of dollars every few weeks to have my car run...obviously.

Any suggestions?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Wow, that's unlucky. Don't go outside in a thunderstorm after you get struck by lightning, it'll get you again. I guess my best advice would be to try a third? Do you have a turbo blanket or anything else that would be near the wastegate that might be interfering with it?

S1uma1

Car(s)
2018 GSW
Nope. At the shop right now... Wastegate voltage at ~4v. Enough to trigger fault? Tech researching the issue. Sent him link to wastegate adjustment video by Apr

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
Nope. At the shop right now... Wastegate voltage at ~4v. Enough to trigger fault? Tech researching the issue. Sent him link to wastegate adjustment video by Apr

If you're not using an IS38 wastegate actuator, that video's information will be completely wrong for your car.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
IS12 wastegate actuators are iffy, mine went out after 10k miles on the APR Stage 1. I would get a good aftermarket actuator, maybe Forge, and call it done. I bought the IS20 kit from ECS for my upgrade to IS20, but with the boost we are getting I would not be surprised if the factory actuator still couldn't handle the pressure.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

It's not just the voltage. If the arm is sticking the action on the whole assembly is erratic and acts differently when hot, cold, humid, dry... voltage is erratic.

The voltage can look great day 1 only to be different on day 2 because the arm rested in a different spot. Day 2 EPC light. Day 29 siezed arm.

Hopefully yours isn't a sticky arm.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
IS12 wastegate actuators are iffy, mine went out after 10k miles on the APR Stage 1. I would get a good aftermarket actuator, maybe Forge, and call it done. I bought the IS20 kit from ECS for my upgrade to IS20, but with the boost we are getting I would not be surprised if the factory actuator still couldn't handle the pressure.

I didn't know forge made an actuator for this car? I thought mamba was the only option?

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
I found a part, searching again it is CTS, see link below. It is the same actuator for the IS12 and IS20 from what I read, although the local VW shop said the IS12actuators seem to be less robust. The factory part is using plastic/composition gears apparently, at least on the IS12. Not my material of choice for something attached to a turbo. I will pull the actuator apart on my IS12 this weekend if I have opportunity.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII--1.8T_Gen3/Search/SiteSearch/wastegate_actuator/