GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks for the link. This is helpful. The O-ring swap appears simple enough.
Debating whether I go back to the racingline plate for my Audi event at VIR.

I need to get this fixed before tracking down the boost bleed off. I didn’t think or question my shop who did the pressure/smoke test. Busy day at work and I was just happy that they had found the source of the problem.
Thanks for setting me straight. Also think my shop jumped to the obvious without going further.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
most catch systems block off the head oil return, the apr one doesnt, so that may be part of it. The apr plate seems like good design, but almost everyone I heard use, it has had leaks, which puts me off of it. I'm still trying to decide on a plate myself.

I'm hoping APR gets it sorted at some point. I'm using BL factory plate and cheap CC. Seems to be working OK at this point.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
What has APR said when folks have reached out to them on this issue?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Looks like APR is aware based on the FB post linked about - I bet it gets sorted in short order.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
APR is making it right and sending me a replacement. The shop that smoke tested my car is an APR Dealer.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I noted last year my wheels' center caps were all v. loose after the weekend - I take it from getting hot? I'll probably just remove them this go around.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I noted last year my wheels' center caps were all v. loose after teh weekend - I take it from getting hot? I'll probably just remove them this go around.

I melted a set in the 18 S. Best to remove them.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I removed center caps and valve stem caps during track season for years. Wound up leaving them off year round.
I'm going to do the same - you check your air so much why bother having them on there!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I leave both on for me street wheel tire setup and remove for track setup.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
The guy on FB sent me his larger o-ring for the APR CC plate but haven't installed it yet, last time I was at the track I had some oil weeping out of the return tube area where it meets the plate but nothing major. Taking that thing apart is going to be annoying. That APR CC/plate was paired with an iAbed baffled oil pan so probably less than what others have seen. Also compared to my previous Spulen v2 plate, the amount of oil in the CC after a hard track day was minimal so I'm a fan although the Spulen kit was nicer in overall fit/finish.

@Mini7 You using any sort of watter wetter or coolant treatment with any luck? That's something I haven't tried, have a 16 row modified Racingline oil cooler and my oil temps stabilize around 260f on the track. Also did your hood louvers affect your cooling performance out there?

Reactions: q74

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I like that the APR CC has less oil collected than the Racingline system. I also got my iABED oil pan installed. That took an extra 1L to fill plus most probably another 0.5L in the oil cooler. it’s good to have the extra oil capacity on track.

Im not using any water wetter and not likely too.
It’s hard too say how much the vents contribute to the cooling system by evacuating the the stalled hot air behind the radiator. Vents/19-row oil cooler/ Aux radiator meant that oil temps didn’t get over 254F on a 86F day at VIR and that was with the AC running and without the additional oil capacity. I don’t anticipate having cooling problems going forward. Temps are going to peak at 65F this weekend at VIR.

On the street my oil temps are not getting over 150F. So I need to block off the oil cooler. I also have a 215F thermostat kit where I can swop from my current 185 stat to a 215F thermostat. That will help oil temps on the street in Winter.

Reactions: q74

tigeo

Autocross Champion
All set for HPDE weekend at VIR.
20211104_104144.jpg