GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Here are some data of the pulls showing the higher boost figures.

34DDC9E4-F039-4232-BA58-1A5E8684FF77.jpeg
DF02E3CB-0D01-46FD-8E8B-96F34C761908.jpeg
D249FA39-8965-4465-881F-DAE2CE4F063A.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Just installed my iABED baffled oil sump and added about 7liters of Amsoil. This comes highly recommended and based on oil the research I’ve done, it’s good oil.

From the packaging and the brochures, it appears that these oil pans are made by Moroso. Not sure if Moroso makes there stuff in the USA still but it a seems like iABED has contracted Moroso to makes his oil pans. I was happy to see that.

89BBCF3C-E112-40AD-A0CD-27B7565B5D62.jpeg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Why not their Euro 40W oil? Should have a higher HTHS.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I got both. Plan on using the 40w in Summer.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There really is no a reason to switch oils with a 5W40 - the hot temp viscosity of a 30 vs. 40 weight is irrrelevent to the temp changes in most parts of the U.S. as ambient will have a nearly zero impact on the viscosity of oil at operating temps. Now a 0 vs. a 5 winter rating could have some merit if you live where its routinely below 0 for cold starts.

Last edited:

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
There really is no a reason to switch oils with a 5W40 - the hot temp viscosity of a 30 vs. 40 weight is irrrelevent to the temp changes in most parts of the U.S. as ambient will have a nearly zero impact on the viscosity of oil at operating temps. Now a 0 vs. a 5 winter rating could have some merit if you live where its routinely below 0 for cold starts.

Once warmed up, yes, but when it gets cold, it takes forever for the oil to warm, with an aluminum pan and an extra litre of oil, its just going to be even worse. I do the same thing (switch to 5w30 in winter).

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ambients have dropped in Charlotte. Temps on the highway are only getting to 160F. I’m going to have to block off my oil cooler in the Winter for street driving.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ambients have dropped in Charlotte. Temps on the highway are only getting to 160F. I’m going to have to block off my oil cooler in the Winter for street driving.
Can you get a higher temperature thermostat for the oil cooler?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Holy crap....160 after sustained driving? So that oil cooler does work...ahahahahaha. I have a neat plot of some data I have been collecting w/r to oil temps in my wagon...this is a IS38/Uni tune, 3 different oils I have been collecting data on. I have collected these data over a period of time on the same commute (all highway) at the same speed (70mph), at the same time (driving time since start to collect reading), and going the same direction (to handle the slope as it’s downhill to work and uphill home…a 150’ elevation difference and I do note higher temps on my return trip at the same ambient). Elevations are in the 100-250’ msl range. I’ve controlled the variables to the extent that I can. Slope is basically the same for all 3; if you went to a 30W you'd expect the lines to shift down a bit.

Capture.JPG

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Did you run data at VIR? What was your Vmax on the back and front straight?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Did you run data at VIR? What was your Vmax on the back and front straight?
I did not - I looked at my oil temps a few times and recall 250 or so? Maybe higher? My max speed on the back straight before my brakes died was 130mph. I think this year I'll just put on my offroad screen on the infotainment that shows oil temp so it's easy to see.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Can you get a higher temperature thermostat for the oil cooler?
I have a 215F thermostat internals kit that I can swap into my thermostat. Got it it for this possibility. It will help for the street. Not sure how it would impact track temps. Hopefully I have sufficient headroom built into my cooling system that it doesn’t impact track temps negatively.