GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 - 2015 Mustang GT... What would you choose if you had to?

So like a few other guys on here, I'm considering trading my GTI up for a Mustang GT 5.0. The mpgs are nearly identical between my stage 2 GTI and what I could expect out of the 5.0. Only difference is I can actually use 87 octane without recourse. Beauty of having a NA motor I suppose... that and no heatsoak, and turbo lag.

So with that in mind, I've seen the numbers between the 2014 and the 2015 mustang which are nearly identical with the exception of weight. Apparently the new independent rear causes the weight to pop up quite a bit, but the performance handling is still on par. While I can sit on this thought for another 2 years, I really have a soft spot for american muscle, and you simply can't argue the 5.0 as being anything short of beastly. Plus american cars have also been cheaper to modify, so I would assume a couple bolt ons and maybe a tune if necessary could boost those numbers up even higher for far less than trying to get there with the GTI on a FWD platform. I love the GTI, but practicality is not an issue any longer, MPGs are not an issue any longer, so there's nothing really gluing me to the VW brand anymore, especially with all the issues it can bring about past warranty.

My question sits on the table, should I bother trying to trade my GTI for a slightly used 2013-2014 GT with the features I want, or wait 2 years and try to trade up for the 2015 model with the better handling and brakes? I'd likely opt for the automatic trans as I hate driving MT in the day to day roads around here, and I know the new 2015 offers the flappy padels... but no triptronic or M mode unfortunately... not sure if that's also an option on the 2013-2014 models, but that's ideally what I'd be going for. I love the killer brembos, and the independent rear. One review even compared the handling to the that of the GTI, and who could deny that exhaust note?

Pretty sure my first mod would be an exhaust kit if I do get one. Good lord.

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I wouldnt get a stang with an auto, either manual or get something else like a 135&. Id personally get 13-14 etc w/ brembo n track package. Theres not much needed to mod this car except louder exhaust n tint.

I wouldnt get a stang with an auto, either manual or get something else like a 135&. Id personally get 13-14 etc w/ brembo n track package. Theres not much needed to mod this car except louder exhaust n tint.

Eh... 135i? I6 twin-scroll sounds like fun, sure, but I'd want to tune it, and put and exhaust on it, etc and if I did that, we're looking at premium pricing for a BMW parts line up. Especially insurance costs too. I'm 29 and not married, so my rate would be high with the BMW I'm sure. Not to mention better numbers with the GT, better sound, and I'm not looking like I bought a woman's car. I like the performance of a 135i but I'm not a fan really of the tiny front end. Always looked off to me.

I want the flappy paddle auto on the 2015 essentially which is the closest I can get to my DSG right now. I'm not a big fan of MT especially after so many years of own an SRT-4. Got so tired of it. I'd love the luxury of setting it and forgetting it or tearing through gears at my leisure. I just prefer it in a triptronic mode. Gives my right hand something to do.

Plus, deep down I really want to get a playlist of AC/DC and White Zombie together and play that as loud as I can while shredding the back wheels at 5000rpm in the v8.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
A 5.0 will get far worse mpg then your gti. So don't be delusional about that.

If you can get the right 2012+ 5.0 for 30k then by all means do it.
But that means gt premium plus recaro plus brembos/track pack and manual. That combo is really hard to find.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
Plus, deep down I really want to get a playlist of AC/DC and White Zombie together and play that as loud as I can while shredding the back wheels at 5000rpm in the v8.

get a 5.0 with full exhaust and you'll be in muscle car heaven

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
IIRC 2015 Mustang is the first year for Auto w/ Flappy Paddles. Previous gen. Mustang did not have paddles. Previous Gen. Mustang 5.0 = Raw but the newer one will be more refined for everyday driving, better MPG, better suspension setup, better interior....just get the new gen. hahah

IIRC 2015 Mustang is the first year for Auto w/ Flappy Paddles. Previous gen. Mustang did not have paddles. Previous Gen. Mustang 5.0 = Raw but the newer one will be more refined for everyday driving, better MPG, better suspension setup, better interior....just get the new gen. hahah

Yeah very likely what I'll do unless they add a manual mode to the AT shifter in 2016. I'd prefer a tiptronic like adjuster over the flappy paddles. I'm just going to hold onto the GTI for 2 more years probably, unless something better comes along.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The old mustang needs a LOT in terms of suspension mods before it's competitive in ride quality and road holding. It's more plush than the gti, but busy on anything that isn't smooth. Also, it's numb. I'd go for the '15 simply because it has the suspension mods the 14 and prior needed in a package that looks better (IMO, obviously).

butchered by autocorrecr

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion

Raw? Maybe unrefined but not raw.
My friend's GT feels like sitting on couch cushions inside of a bathtub on air suspension. Only thing raw about that car is the F150 rear suspension and monster V8. The ride itself is pretty boaty and not very confidence inspiring. Serious brake dive. Serious straight line speed.

I'd imagine the track pack fixes some of this, but not all.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Neither.

1998 Cobra convertible with a supercharger, exhaust, lowered with caster camber plates and a short throw. I'd also find one that is 1 of 6 for its combo.

Yep. That is what I would buy.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Neither.

1998 Cobra convertible with a supercharger, exhaust, lowered with caster camber plates and a short throw. I'd also find one that is 1 of 6 for its combo.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Neither.

Pfft. Good luck finding one.

;)