GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T Which is the best plug&play (JB1 or Powermodule)

coachfraley

Ready to race!
I searched, but I didn't find much info. on the "head to head" between the JB1 and the Neuspeed Power Module. I would be getting the device for the 1.8 golf motor. Aside from just comparing raw HP #'s and cost, does one device work more smoothly than the other...does one use superior technology? Thanks in advance for any input.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
JB4>JB1>>>powermodule

This isn't just my opinion, it's also the forum consensus. The JB4 is the best because it's basically a JB1 with added functionality, monitoring, and customization (i.e. moar powah), and the JB1 is objectively better than the Neuspeed Powermodule.

riambink

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed but I’d also say the power module is a decent budget option given you can get them for ~$200 used. A true set it and forget it option. If you want to play around with boost settings/want further upgrades on power down the line, go for the BMS options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I’ve used all 3 (NPM, JB1, JB4) in that order. The NPM doesn’t increase fuel rail pressure as boost is added and is thus inferior to the BMS offerings. You can feel the difference in smoothness between the NPM and JB1, and the JB4 is even better.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Budget aside, you want what’s safest. JB4 would be that option map 1&2 are set and forget

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I had a NPM for awhile and it was great. really increased the smile factor of the car. I had it for about half a year and got myself addicted. Sold it to fund JB4.

So, if you wanna dip your toe in the water, the NPM can be had quick and easy and fairly cheap.

If you think you'll want to tweak settings or are looking to do any other future mods (turbo, DP etc) I'd say get the JB4.

coachfraley

Ready to race!
I think this would be my only power mod. I want to keep the car stock (hence the piggyback). I would rather spend more money on suspension mods if anything.

I'm not quite sure if I understand the real benefit of the upgrade to the JB4. If I am not modding further, logging, etc...would I be better just going JB1? Or does the JB4 actually perform better on map1?

BTW...thanks for all the replies!!!

AND...Can we get the JB's in CA?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I think this would be my only power mod. I want to keep the car stock (hence the piggyback). I would rather spend more money on suspension mods if anything.

I'm not quite sure if I understand the real benefit of the upgrade to the JB4. If I am not modding further, logging, etc...would I be better just going JB1? Or does the JB4 actually perform better on map1?

BTW...thanks for all the replies!!!

AND...Can we get the JB's in CA?

The JB4 will do a better job at monitoring and keeping your AFR safe. Just buy a used one from the classifieds. There are a few for sale. All MQB JB4 units work on all Golfs. So you can buy a unit from a GTI or R and it will work on the 1.8. BMS just uses different numbers for tracking purposes

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, a JB4 is only a slight improvement to the JB1 when used as a set and forget piggyback, but the JB4 really shines when you want to go further. A JB1 would probably be sufficient for you in the short term, but a JB4 can take advantage of non-warranty altering power items such as e85 fuel, etc. Worst case scenario a JB1 can be converted to a JB4 with BM's $125 conversion kit.

You can buy a JB1/4 in CA, just not through BM directly. I think Black Forest Industries, USP motorsports, and a few others ship them to CA.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
the Dinan device is $299 and provides a full bluetooth interface along with a free android app for changing predefined maps.

Downside is lower potential as the highest boost map tops out at 4psi and there is no ability to edit the maps, only switch between them via bluetooth.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
You get what you pay for. JB4 has the b st support by far and is the safest piggy back there is. I wouldn’t by anything less. App is $28 and you can find used ones regularly with the data cable

Davisflyer

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had the JB1 in my Audi A3 1.8 (same engine as yours) for almost a year and love it! Much quicker than stock. The reason I chose to go with JB1 over 4 was the install was much cleaner and I won't have any evidence of tampering if I have to take it into dealer. Also noted that my MPG has increased. Before JB1 I averaged just over 26 MPG, now it's just over 30!

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
JB1 = 3 harness connectors
JB4 = 3 harness connectors + OBD port plug + AFR wire tap to primary O2 sensor
---
NPM = 2 harness connectors

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I have the NPM on my Alltrack. It's definitely worth the $200 I spent on it used but it definitely leaves more to be desired. Power output is not as linear as an ecm tune which is what im used to. Car doesn't really pick up until 4k rpm or so when it ramps up boost.

If I were to do it again, which I will at some point, i'll go for either APR tune of JB4 and tinker with the mapping. The NPM is a good stepping stone for the price.