GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI 150hp tuning options

Bart1

Hi Daner,

that would be great,

as i mentioned, i'm not interested in 0-80 or 0-100.
I am interested in going from 60 km/h to 120 km/h, simulates overtaking a car, that has to go as fast as possible to keep it safe.

If possible, can you video that in 3th, and in 4th gear?

Not sure if the car can hit 120 in third, if not, please stop before that speed, don't want you to break anything...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Daner,

i have driven about 4000 km in my 150 hp 1.4 TSI, i can 't wait till it hits 7500 km to have it tuned.

The 150 hp is ok, but the torque of merely 250 sucks. Not interested in 0-60 times, but in 40-80, you need torque to do this.

In first and second gear the car seems to be fast, but once in thrid, feel as if it lacks all power. Manual 6 speed.

As you complained & I pointed out in the other thread you started, you do not regularly run on 99ron (Shell nitro) & you do not have the MODE button.

I recon that if you used VCDS & looked in the admaps of the central electronics & engine modules you might find the car is set to "ECO or NORMAL" modes, where as a car with the button would have that particular parameter set to "input via button" type of setting.

You need to have a look & have those settings set to SPORT.

Mine is as fast (if not faster) as a MK4 GTI (1.8T 180BHP)...I know as I have driven them...

PS with the turbo there is NO point in revving beyond about 5000RPM, so change up into forth about 4000RPM & floor it...no problems...my old Nat asp 1.4 would still sing right around to 6200RPM...

Last edited:

gtchris1

Ready to race!
ive had mine set to individual over the last week(just sport for engine) and you can really feel the difference in response.
it could also be that its been run in and lossened up now ive done just over 5k.
the more and more i drive my car the more impressed i am with this tsi engine.plenty of umph for me.
i also considered a remap for mine but to be honest ive decided against it now.
for me personally it has more than enough for me like i said.

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I'll film some roll-ons in third and fourth when I can, but it might be a few days.

In the meantime, I highly recommend that you pay attention to golfdave's advice. Using the highest octane fuel that you can find will make it possible for your engine to develop more power, and there is definitely enhanced throttle response to be had in sport mode, which should be accessible to you with a quick and simple change of settings using VCDS. He is also absolutely correct about there being no need to bounce off redline with this powerband. I have had lots of fun over the years with vehicles (both two and four-wheeled) that reward that kind of use, but this is not one of them.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just had another look in my Admaps & in module 19 (CAN gateway) there are parameters for "driving profile selection"...

As the button just replicates what is shown on the infotainment screen, you should be able to activate the MODE function via the module 5F "infortainment electric"

If could be "vehicle menu operation display pdc" & the associated lines...

Here in the Netherlands One of the best VAG tuners in the world (according to many petrolheads) offers a software upgrade for mk7 1.4TSI models that wil run a 190/200hp / 300/340nm. Depending on what octane the car runs. I can asure you, it's fantastic. BUT.... If you buy an 1.4TSI DSG, the first thing you have to get is an DSG Software upgrade. Because the double clutch is probably the weakest link of the car because of the poor factory settings. Standard the car will be in 7th gear at 45-50 Miles an hour.... Those settings will burn up the 1st and/or second clutch in a very short time. That's a Major problem with the DQ200 DSG Gearbox. After such an upgrade the DSG runs so much better, really great.
Not the SW is weak but the HW. No flash will change anything on this.
Same with the manual MQ250 btw. With 300 Nm or even 340 Nm the
clutch will slip sooner or later.
For some reason the current Polo GTI with its 1.8 TSI and DSG comes
with only 250 Nm instead of the 320 Nm of its MT counterpart, which
has the MQ350 gearbox and a much stronger clutch.

Bart1

Hi all,
reaaly appreciate your replies.

So i guess VCDS is the software tool at the dealer right?

Anyhow, i've gone thur all the menues over and over again, the MODE setting is not in my car.

By now i have tanked 98 ron, thats the highest available around here.

I'll check to find even higher Q.

Indeed now after some 4.5 K, the engine seems to be imp[rooved, which i really hate as it means the cars software keeps the power a bit down. That is probably why VW in their Belgian brochure specify that the engine reaches full power at 7.5K.

YEsterday, drove behind exactly the same car as mine, color match, rims , only it was a TDI, the letter i was red, the TD was silver, no idea how much power that car has, but mine could not follow that car when we took of at a traffic light.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi all,
reaaly appreciate your replies.

So i guess VCDS is the software tool at the dealer right?

YEsterday, drove behind exactly the same car as mine, color match, rims , only it was a TDI, the letter i was red, the TD was silver, no idea how much power that car has, but mine could not follow that car when we took of at a traffic light.

VCDS is not the dealer tool, it is one of the best computer programmes available to us non VW dealers which gives VW tool like levels of diagnostics & programming..

& if you can't keep up with a 1.6TDI then you have something VERY wrong with your car as I would have left a 1.6lt TDI standing still,...well the driver would think he was in reverse....:D

gtchris1

Ready to race!
Coming up the against the 2.0tdi should be close but not a 1.6.
Saying that i had a play with my mates gtd and that wasnt a million miles away.
It wasnt till about 3rd gear he was slightly pulling on me.
(Had him of the start tho ha!!).

Last edited:

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Bart,

Filmed a roll-on in third today. Fairly flat ground, slightly curved on-ramp, dry road, 16 degrees C, less than 100m elevation, just under half a tank of gas, no passenger, sport mode, full throttle.

60 km/h corresponds to just over 2400 rpm, so at 120 it is spinning at about 4900. This is well within the meatiest portion of the power curve. According to the video, my car does this in 8 seconds flat. To me, this seems pretty much in line with the factory estimated 0-100 time of 8.6 seconds.

Bart1

Daner,

so i did 3 testruns this weekend.

Result is very very astonishing,

i expected a real bad laptime, but,

60 to 120 ; just below 9 seconds each time.

This means, my car performs as it should.
This means , me not very happy with this poor performance
This means tuning has to happen, or sell the car.

As the car is brandnew, depreciation of the car is terrible, i would loose approx 5K euro by selling it now, so i will have to keep it and get it tuned.

Here is my problem; my other car is a 12 yr old Volvo diesel, 136 hp, 320 Nm, does this in barely half the time...

Gear ratio, max torque at 2000 RPM both impact this result.