GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI 150hp tuning options

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I'm in the process of ordering a 2016 Golf Sportscombi GT here in Sweden (aka Variant, Estate, or SportWagen, depending upon the market). My wife insists on a manual transmission and we need a trailer hitch, so the R is not an option. 4Motion might be good to have here in the Frozen North, but we have done just fine with FWD for years now and we don't rack up enough mileage for the fuel economy of the diesel to outweigh the additional purchase price, so we are focusing on the benefits of the smoother, lighter, potentially better handling 1.4 TSI version, optioned up with DCC. Of course I would rather have a GTI wagon with the Performance Pack and all that entails, but VW has not seen fit to make that available, so this is as close as we can get.

That being the case, I've seen that ABT has a tuning upgrade available for last year's 140hp version of the 1.4 TSI that takes the horsepower up to 170 and raises the torque from 250 to 300. They do not yet list a comparable update for the current 150hp version (neither with nor without ACT), and they need me to provide a VIN before they can tell me if they have something that can work with my car (which has not yet been built), so I will just have to be patient with that.

In the meantime, I'm interested in tips regarding power upgrades from other tuners for the 1.4 TSI 150 engine. Not interested in boy-racer sound or markedly reduced reliability, just some extra urge.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I was in your situation, (I don't tow though) & looking at the ABT ecu as I thought that the car would not be powerful enough according to the printed figures.

I was wrong, even with four adults in the car it really flies!! the key factor is torque from 1,500rpm!! So I just fill the car with Shell Nitro super plus unleaded, & saved myself a lot of £££££

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks Dave. I will run it for a few months in stock condition before considering any engine changes next summer, so we'll see. Going with Steps 1 and 2 of the underbody trays that you detailed straight from delivery though. Also going with the Dynaudio and R-Line Exterior and Interior packages. Was hoping to go with OZ Ultraleggeras for summer wheels, but they are a bit pricey here in Sweden so we'll probably stick with the Salvadors that come with the R-Line package. Looking forward to it!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Best to wait until after 2000 miles or 2500Km & the engine is worn in!

Also I would suggest the bigger battery upgrade as with less mileage but heavy use eg, lights heated seats etc it is worth fitting the biggest battery if VW do not fit it to yours.

linky here:-

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

However if the car has stop/start feature you will need VCDS to programme in the new capacity.

Also fit RGM Ltd. door sill & rear bumper sill protectors as cheaper , bigger & better than the VW ones!

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I am sincerely hoping that this one will be a keeper, so it will be run in by the book. The fact that for the first several months it will be on winter tires, in winter conditions, should help reduce the temptation to push too hard, too soon.

The battery upgrade definitely looks like a winner, but I'll wait to see the capacity of the model delivered before making a determination there. I'm also having the dealer fit it with an electric block heater along with a 240v outlet and electric heater. We have a power outlet where we park our car and we've used that combination to good effect in our current car. Not as good as a warm garage, but much better than nothing.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I am sincerely hoping that this one will be a keeper, so it will be run in by the book. The fact that for the first several months it will be on winter tires, in winter conditions, should help reduce the temptation to push too hard, too soon.

Same thing happened to me, collected mine last October, so winter alloys & tyres on, only this summer managed to push the car! & it's good!!

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Same thing happened to me, collected mine last October, so winter alloys & tyres on, only this summer managed to push the car! & it's good!!

Of course, it also gives me several months to consider replacing the unused factory R-Line package Summer alloys (17" Salvadors) with something lighter. Might end up depending on how much I can get for the OEM rims. Sticking with 17" in any case. Road quality up here makes lower profile tires a losing proposition.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Of course, it also gives me several months to consider replacing the unused factory R-Line package Summer alloys (17" Salvadors) with something lighter. Might end up depending on how much I can get for the OEM rims. Sticking with 17" in any case. Road quality up here makes lower profile tires a losing proposition.

I got Team Dynamics Prorace3 (five spoke for winter) & Team Dynamics Prorace 1.2 for summer. Both in 17" so same OEM sizes
They were 2kg lighter each wheel than the VW Dijon's the car came with!

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Didn't think the 150bhp engine was available in the Estate form factor. At least, it wasn't when we were looking for ours.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Didn't think the 150bhp engine was available in the Estate form factor. At least, it wasn't when we were looking for ours.

Not in the UK, has been available in Germany etc since last year, which is why I delayed my order for about 3 months to wait for the changeover to 2015 models in hope & VWUK still don't get the 150PS engine.................

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting to see how different models and options are apportioned worldwide. Can't get the GTD Variant/Estate/Sportwagen/Sportscombi in Sweden, but things like headlight washers and seat heaters and app-connect are standard. You have to go with the GT to get the higher -powered version of the 1.4 TSI (140hp for 2014, 150hp for 2015). The vast majority sold here are DSG. Have checked with a half-dozen dealers and none have a GT TSI with a manual to test drive - not in a hatch or an estate.

I realize that we have a great range of options as compared to the US, but wouldn't it be fun to have unfettered access to the complete MQB platform parts bin?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I realize that we have a great range of options as compared to the US, but wouldn't it be fun to have unfettered access to the complete MQB platform parts bin?

Golf R estate with 6speed manual gearbox, tow hitch, & tungsten silver metallic please..............

All options not made for UK R estate!!

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
Golf R estate with 6speed manual gearbox, tow hitch, & tungsten silver metallic please..............

All options not made for UK R estate!!

Agreed, but I'd settle for a GTI steering box, the XDS+ differential, the more rigid and lightweight Audi TT RS underpinnings, and the best brakes that will fit inside of 17" rims.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Agreed, but I'd settle for a GTI steering box, the XDS+ differential, the more rigid and lightweight Audi TT RS underpinnings, and the best brakes that will fit inside of 17" rims.

NOT a bad choice!!!!!;)

Also forgot the R would need the Audi Aluminium subframe/wishbones etc as it still has the pressed steel ones!.............:mad:

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Isn't the 140PS only Euro 5, the 150PS Euro 6. Post 1 September, all engines must be Euro 6.

With computer controlled manufacturing, we should be able to specify almost any option.