GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about VCDS

duong1994

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys,

I currently own a 2016 Mk7 GTI (US). I saw a lot of cool tweaks for it using VCDS software. But I got so confused as there're lots of models on the website (some of them are like $800+). So my question is what must I buy? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi Guys,

I currently own a 2016 Mk7 GTI (US). I saw a lot of cool tweaks for it using VCDS software. But I got so confused as there're lots of models on the website (some of them are like $800+). So my question is what must I buy? Thanks.

The $250 Micro-CAN.

duong1994

Passed Driver's Ed
The $250 Micro-CAN.

Is this the one? They said something about 2016 models might not work :(

LI_GTI_Guy

Ready to race!
I was wondering this myself. The wifi hex-net is considerably more expensive...so what is it that the hex-net can do that the standard micro-can can't for 2016s?

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Also note that there is an alternative now called OBDEleven that is a wireless obd dongle which interfaces with an android app and provides the same functionality of the vcds/micro-can. OBDEleven can be had for about $60. I don't have either, just letting you know the options in case you didn't realize there was an alternative

duong1994

Passed Driver's Ed
I was wondering this myself. The wifi hex-net is considerably more expensive...so what is it that the hex-net can do that the standard micro-can can't for 2016s?

Well, I guess now they can change the name to "Micro-Can't" haha. Putting the horrible pun aside, I'm still confuse about which to buy. The hex-net looks really cool but I would rather spend 600 bucks for a downpipe or something like that...

duong1994

Passed Driver's Ed
Also note that there is an alternative now called OBDEleven that is a wireless obd dongle which interfaces with an android app and provides the same functionality of the vcds/micro-can. OBDEleven can be had for about $60. I don't have either, just letting you know the options in case you didn't realize there was an alternative

Wow that's really cool but I have an iPhone though..

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
From Ross Tech website

As of April 15, 2016, we have learned that some 2016 and newer MQB based models may contain certain modules which are not accessible with the HEX-USB+CAN.

For 2016 and newer, our recommendation is the HEX-NET.

I suspect most things will work with the Micro Can cable apparently some modules cannot be addressed with it though. Probably not a big issue. All of them can do the same things as far as mods. Hex-Can and probably Hex-Net allow for Turbo mode when logging (faster sampling rate). Micro cable is for 2005 and newer, Hex goes back to 1995 and forward to 2016. Hex Can is unlimited use, Hex Net wifi can only be used on 10 different cars.

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Wow that's really cool but I have an iPhone though..

What a lot of guys have been doing is just buying a compatible android tablet off amazon for about $40 and using that for OBDEleven. With that I'll stop pushing either for fear of being accused as a salesmen lol.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I was told by Ross-tech that for 2017 MY cars i would need the 'Beta' (development) version of their software.

I have a Micro-can cable thats a few years old now and they advised me that the Beta software will work but that my cable, once used with it, would have a firmware update that would render it not useable with earlier versions of VCDS. Now as my car is a BW22 (2017) car i had no choice - however all was fine and I made all the usual tweaks no problem.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was told by Ross-tech that for 2017 MY cars i would need the 'Beta' (development) version of their software.

I have a Micro-can cable thats a few years old now and they advised me that the Beta software will work but that my cable, once used with it, would have a firmware update that would render it not useable with earlier versions of VCDS. Now as my car is a BW22 (2017) car i had no choice - however all was fine and I made all the usual tweaks no problem.

Version 16.8.0 and higher requires you to update the firmware on the cable.

craigsix

Ready to race!
had my traction control disabled today for 27 bucks at bob hindson racing while i was getting my apr stage2 and dsg tune done. i figured why not while i was there they said if i slam my brakes real hard it will still kick in.