GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1/4 Mile Time - DSG vs. Manual

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
It’s totally a state of mind. I’ve only driven two DSG cars: Mk5 & 7 GTI - both were test drives

I can see the appeal - heavy traffic, physical injuries, want to be faster...etc. And I fully get that, but I was really bored.

edrex

Ready to race!
I can see that driving around a city day to day is a little more boring in a dsg where a manual gives you more to do to keep busy. But if tearing up back roads is “boring” if you aren’t shifting gears you’re overthinking it and concentrating on the wrong aspects of the drive. MT or DSG, these cars are a blast to drive!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I can see that driving around a city day to day is a little more boring in a dsg where a manual gives you more to do to keep busy. But if tearing up back roads is “boring” if you aren’t shifting gears you’re overthinking it and concentrating on the wrong aspects of the drive. MT or DSG, these cars are a blast to drive!

I disagree. What I love about driving is the process of it.

It’s why I prefer my French press to a Keurig in coffee terms and my Leica M2 film camera to my old Canon 5D3 in camera terms. Like I said, it’s a state of mind.

In an age of instant gratification, why do you think vinyl is still a thing? Nostalgia is just one answer.

Last edited:

surrealjam

Ready to race!
The auto is quicker but I owned one for 2 years and regretted it so my current car is a manual. I just found the times I cared about 0-60 was precisely the two times I used launch control and went "Oh OK. 6 seconds, now I know".

Completely a personal choice though so arguing over which is "better" is pointless.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Interesting you say this. I personally would rather have an electric car than an auto gas one and keep my 6MT R as my fun car (which it already is along with my CRV).

I would love to keep my GTI for a fun car and just get some piece of junk for my daily work commutes. But since the GTI is my DD, I would pick it over an electric any day of the work week.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I disagree. What I love about driving is the process of it.

It’s why I prefer my French press to a Keurig in coffee terms and my Leica M2 film camera to my old Canon 5D3 in camera terms. Like I said, it’s a state of mind.

In an age of instant gratification, why do you think vinyl is still a thing? Nostalgia is just one answer.

You sound like an old soul.
I drive a DSG and have a record collection I listen to occasionally.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I still have my 2000 TransAm Firehawk with a 6 speed manual to keep me in tune with my manual loving tendencies. But I am open to new technology and admit the DSG is a damn fine "slushbox". The paddles and nearly instant response certainly help when I want to feel more in control.

Some of you should give up your cell phones for the old rotary dials if you really want to be "traditional". ;) :D

NH_MK7R

This is why I absolutely despise these forums. My thread was originally trying to get SOLID QUARTER MILE TIME DIFFERENCES between manual and DSG.

This thread has been completely hijacked and turned into a classic manual vs auto debate, with electric cars and cyclists sprinkled in.

This was my last attempt at using the forums. Between this and getting attacked for every post I have made (for some reason or another), I can safely say I will not be returning. It’s like trying to control a room full of preschoolers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burner1

Ready to race!
This is why I absolutely despise these forums. My thread was originally trying to get SOLID QUARTER MILE TIME DIFFERENCES between manual and DSG.

This thread has been completely hijacked and turned into a classic manual vs auto debate, with electric cars and cyclists sprinkled in.

This was my last attempt at using the forums. Between this and getting attacked for every post I have made (for some reason or another), I can safely say I will not be returning. It’s like trying to control a room full of preschoolers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2/10th difference .

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/golf/2018/2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-first-test-review/

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Good thing you didn't ask about oil change intervals. :eek: