GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0W-20 VW 508/508 oil analysis/comparison

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I was always taught that if you have the choice between say 4w40 and 0w40 to go witht eh 0w because it would be better for the cold start. I mean afterall at the end of teh day they're both at teh same operating parameters when hot.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
That’s fine, who do you believe is an authority on the topic then?

Easy.

3FC66497-CAFC-489E-B64C-50A541E5CEA1.jpeg

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
It’s the same one.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
So now you guys have peaked my curiosity. Nonegiven you said Fuchs would be your preference but you wouldn’t use it? I assume you mean in a tuned car. What are you using currently that you recommend? I recently totaled my 2016 GTI where I used Liquimoly 5w40. I replaced it with a 2019 GTI and noticed the new 508 spec recommendation. Where is everyone leaning on the new cars? I have like 900 miles so I hadn’t serviced it just yet.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
So now you guys have peaked my curiosity. Nonegiven you said Fuchs would be your preference but you wouldn’t use it? I assume you mean in a tuned car. What are you using currently that you recommend? I recently totaled my 2016 GTI where I used Liquimoly 5w40. I replaced it with a 2019 GTI and noticed the new 508 spec recommendation. Where is everyone leaning on the new cars? I have like 900 miles so I hadn’t serviced it just yet.
Again, I'm talking about the 0w20 508 oils in the study. Our cars were spec'd for 502 which includes a few 0w30s, some 5w30s and a bunch of 0w40 and 5w40 oils. Too thin of an oil will accelerate thrust bearing wear and increase the chance of crank walk.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
I understand, I’m asking your thoughts on the 2019’s “requiring” a 508 spec. I will be Uni stage 2 shortly as I’m moving parts from my wrecked car to the replacement. I noticed the new spec when I swapped the air intake the other day. Just wondering if anyone was deviating from the new recommendation and which oil they were using.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
There were changes to the oil pump and a few other things to run the thinner oil in the 2019s. For those, I'd run the two that I recommended early in the thread.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I understand, I’m asking your thoughts on the 2019’s “requiring” a 508 spec. I will be Uni stage 2 shortly as I’m moving parts from my wrecked car to the replacement. I noticed the new spec when I swapped the air intake the other day. Just wondering if anyone was deviating from the new recommendation and which oil they were using.

I have stayed with the 0w-20 so far. I have a Jb4. I change my oil at 5k

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
FWIW I’m not deviating from spec but I’m also not tuned. Staying with factory Castrol 0w-20 for now. LM has one oil that qualifies. Liqui Moly Top Tec 6200 0W-20

Last edited:

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
There were changes to the oil pump and a few other things to run the thinner oil in the 2019s. For those, I'd run the two that I recommended early in the thread.

Do you own liquimoly or Fuchs? From all the data linked to this thread, can you just copy paste the graph showing what makes these two products so superior for the 2019s? If you dont have any data, can you just state a 'just in my opinion' disclaimer so people arent confused?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Lighten up Francis. Forums are full of opinions.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@CFB_GTA .. per data in this thread Mobil and Fuchs are best.

Everything else is opinions. I wouldnt use any of the oils tested and listed in this thread. But all of them will get the job done in a daily oem specced commuter as will any other synthetic.

So perhaps youre spending too much time dwelling on this, if your car is stock and used as a daily.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Stija still out here giving his views about a car he doesn’t even own, I see. Anyone reading this thread, Stija doesn’t even own a mk7, nor has ever owned one. He has a Subaru, so everything he says is based on Subarus. I know, who frequents a car forum for a car they don’t even own and gives people input that could damage their car...

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Yes, VW is the only manufacturer using DIT engines. And its not like all other DIT manufacturers recommend 0w20 now.

How would owning one make me better or more knowledgeable on the subject?

Owning one must feel like Avatar jumping on a flying horse when getting in a Vw...one w the universe right away. Wouldnt know, im taller than 5’7”.

Input that could damage their car? Hardly. Better advice than anyone who has ever recommended liquimoly or motul products.. as per data in this thread. Funny stuff.

Last edited: