GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. drshark

Bilstein B6 suspension & chasis rebuild

Al, Thanks for interesting update. No mention of the dogbone? Speaking of which, I just added to our past private conversation—let’s get together next month… Shawn
  2. drshark

mk7.5 R space saver spare

Went five years without the spare. Then, on my first long distance trip, about 30 miles out the low pressure sensor came on. Added 5 lbs air with the compressor; nothing more has happened since. Not sure I would have continued on without the spare in the back. And yes, hopped in the car the...
  3. drshark

Golf R and Dolly Sods

P.S.: lots of other places to hike around there if you really feel like you're in too deep. Thinking of Plan B...
  4. drshark

Golf R and Dolly Sods

We went in the R in 2019; hiking for a couple hours and left. I don't remember it being terrible dirt roads to drive on. Maybe it's just where we were in the park...
  5. drshark

hood vents really work!

Holy moly, Al--a five year old thread! o_O Hood vent update: we had a day this winter about 0 F. I drove around for quite some time without the thermostat kicking on (i.e., 200 F.). Not saying it's a good thing. The hood's actually an aesthetic choice for me. As are the drilled rotors... Shawn
  6. drshark

New Golf R Owner mk7.5

My only advice is to go slow: enjoy the process. Research and shopping--that's an integral part of the tuning experience. Spread it out over the years. Maybe you'll move to a cold place (and suddenly wheels and snows matter) or a hot place (an oversize intercooler). Even if it's used, keep the...
  7. drshark

How Trouble-Free Has Your Stage 1 Tune Been?

I clicked on "Unitronic no problems", but wanted to say: we went to the Middle East and Ethiopia for 3 months in 2018. Came back and the R ran like total crap for ten minutes (engine and electronics). But I'm guessing that's not the fault of the tune... Btw: rented a Stelvio while we were in...
  8. drshark

034 Dogbone Insert

Al, I had mine in for a week. Hated the vibrations that both rose up through the seats and via the air into my ears. Still have it in a box somewhere, do you want it? Shawn
  9. drshark

Help with suspension/chassis mods

Al, I couldn’t help thinking: would it be enough just to take out unsprung weight? Get lighter wheels, rotors, and calipers. That might give you enough better compliance, handling, & ride. While not on the scale you’re talking about, I just got new drilled rotors from Brake Performance. Really...
  10. drshark

Who's R has traveled furthest (not highest mileage)?

The current thread about highest mileage R got me thinking about a different question. Rather than the most mileage, how about R's that have been driven to distant destinations. (Putting the car on a truck, train, boat, or a plane doesn't count.) That is, who's R has driven to the farthest...
  11. drshark

tell us your partner-approved mods

Here's a new take on the old "what have you done today" or "what are the best mods" thread. It occurred to me after my wife waxed lyrical about the last two things I've done. So, Tell us about how your spouse/partner/significant other enthusiastically supported mods or upgrades To start...
  12. drshark

TTRS clutch installed

Backstory: Unitronic Stage 1+ installed last month and instantly burned the OEM clutch, as expected. So, after research, I decided to go with the Audi TTRS stock clutch, rated about for about 30% more torque. Here’s first day observations... Torque holding: several near 10/10 pulls without...
  13. drshark

time for a new clutch

Day 3 of Unitronic Stage 1+ tune; a last gen M3 roars up behind me. First light: he takes off and I follow hard to the next light, now beside him. Second light: first real pull with the new tune. Rats, I don't shift soon enough and hit hard off the limiter. It's so much faster through 1st...
  14. drshark

Stage 1 tunes: drop-in clutch disk?

Has anyone with a Stage 1 tune tried a drop-in high friction clutch disk (e.g., South Bend’s)? My clutch guy suggests this should be plenty more torque capacity to handle a Stage 1 tune. This would be a lot cheaper and remain rather OEM-feel. P.S.: played stop light racing with a last-gen...
  15. drshark

estimate of %R's with ECU tune?

Now that I've put the Unitronic Stage 1+ on my R, I started wondering: has anyone put together a reasoned estimate of the percentage of R's that get a tune? And maybe a prediction of the final fraction (maybe, MK 6 numbers)? Just wondering... Shawn
  16. drshark

Love my Unitronic Stage 1+!

Just installed the Unitronic Stage 1+ tune yesterday. Here's several quick observations: 1) Power linearity Once past the initial spooling up RPM, the car pulls and pulls with steadily increasing urgency. With the (near) elimination of turbo rush I am SO reminded of the I-6 in my old BMW...
  17. drshark

"Inspection Now!" ???

The R is telling me to get an inspection. But it's 20 months old (i.e., between one and two years) and has 18,000 miles (i.e., between 10,000 and 20,000 miles). So, it shouldn't be simple counting leading to the maintenance demand. Is there some "soft" idiot light action going on here? Is...
  18. drshark

No infotainment screen (doesn't light up)

Ok, turned on the car to come home and no screen. The touchscreen works if you blindly push on the right spots. Merely turning the car on and off doesn't bring it back. Is there some other way to reset? Other than the obvious disconnect the battery... Thanks. Shawn
  19. drshark

Ideas: wife wants "bad girl" car

The other day, we're sitting at a stoplight and a Jeep Wrangler pulls up next to us. She says, "that's kind of what I want--either a 'bad girl' car or I'll settle for a grandmother car like everyone else". I'm 56; we were classmates in college. You do the math for her age... So, what...
  20. drshark

Advanti Svelto+245 PS4 pictures

Ok, finally got around to cropping and re-sizing pics. So, here you go... Advanti Svelto: 19x8.5 45mm, 21 lbs (-3.5 lbs vs. OEM) 245 35 19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 8mm spacers on rear wheels (none on front) Absolutely no rubbing with the top screws removed on the front wheel well liners. That...