GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 Dogbone Insert

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I know that a lot of you have thrown on 034's lower dogbone insert. Have any of you done first the lower insert and then added the upper insert? I'm asking because 034 says that doing both top and bottom minimizes wear on the rubber in the bushing, but was leery about increasing NVH too much. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I've had the lower insert in 2 different GTIs and both of them bent without the upper piece. Definitely recommended, along with an upgraded pendulum bar

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
How much more vibration did you wind up feeling?

I'll let you know - I'm installing 034 upper insert, APR lower insert, and APR pendulum bar on my Alltrack Wednesday night. OEM upper mounts (car only has 5K).

My experience on my last car was too unusual to really provide useful feedback lol, extraordinary circumstances. Basically no matter what I did my NVH was high, but my drivetrain slop was not reduced. Found that poor workmanship at 2 separate renowned, trusted shops led to stripped bolt holes on my frame where my engine and trans bolted up, and no matter what I did the engine and trans just weren't well secured.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I did just the lower 034 dogbone (?) on my R initially. It's paperweight/glue gun cooling stand now.

I switched to ECS pendulum mount with their new inserts that comes with their kit and it seemed to do fine for me.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm running the upper and lower mount, with the stock pendulum bar. No idle NVH change, even with the AC on... and that's in my TDI. A little noise when taking off in first (manual) but I don't find that it's being converted to vibrations in the car. That noise became less after a few hundred miles. I can't speak to longevity, only been running them for about 3k and haven't been under the car since so that remains to be seen but I wouldn't worry about added NVH.

drshark

Ready to race!
Al,
I had mine in for a week. Hated the vibrations that both rose up through the seats and via the air into my ears. Still have it in a box somewhere, do you want it?
Shawn

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've had the upper and lower in for a few months. I get some driveline shudder when starting out in first or reverse, but I also use a very low rpm engagement. No change in idle vibrations or in gear nvh though, and if I pay attention to keep revs up a little, it's really never an issue. It did greatly help with driveline slop though and I do plan on adding BFI engine and transmission mounts when I do the clutch and rms in a few months.