GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 tunes: drop-in clutch disk?

drshark

Ready to race!
Has anyone with a Stage 1 tune tried a drop-in high friction clutch disk (e.g., South Bend’s)? My clutch guy suggests this should be plenty more torque capacity to handle a Stage 1 tune. This would be a lot cheaper and remain rather OEM-feel.

P.S.: played stop light racing with a last-gen M3 tonight; a close match. Bounced off the limiter for the very first time. Man, first gear goes by REALLY fast with the tune!:cool:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Has anyone with a Stage 1 tune tried a drop-in high friction clutch disk (e.g., South Bend’s)? My clutch guy suggests this should be plenty more torque capacity to handle a Stage 1 tune. This would be a lot cheaper and remain rather OEM-feel.

P.S.: played stop light racing with a last-gen M3 tonight; a close match. Bounced off the limiter for the very first time. Man, first gear goes by REALLY fast with the tune!:cool:

I’d highly suggest going with DKM stage 3 twin disk, ECS clutch line & bleeder block.

Stage 1 makes very close to stage 2 torque, and a clutch install is NOT something you want to do twice.

Yes the pedal is heavier, but engagement and characteristics are closer to stock than pretty much anything out there. Plus, plenty of headroom for more power, and very cost effective overall

drshark

Ready to race!
I’d highly suggest going with DKM stage 3 twin disk, ECS clutch line & bleeder block.

Stage 1 makes very close to stage 2 torque, and a clutch install is NOT something you want to do twice.

Yes the pedal is heavier, but engagement and characteristics are closer to stock than pretty much anything out there. Plus, plenty of headroom for more power, and very cost effective overall

Holy-moly! 600+ ft-lbs! Why Stage 3 clutch, not Stage 2? And, any SMF/DMF comments?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Don’t get caught up on “stages”. They effectively mean nothing, especially when it comes to a clutch. The torque rating is what matters. They’re all rated by crank torque, so “stage 2” clutches rated at “400 ft lbs” is really like 340ft lbs at the wheels.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37662

^^^awesome thread on this clutch, there’s also one that’s R specific (the thread, not the clutch)

Abilor

Passed Driver's Ed
Don’t get caught up on “stages”. They effectively mean nothing, especially when it comes to a clutch. The torque rating is what matters. They’re all rated by crank torque, so “stage 2” clutches rated at “400 ft lbs” is really like 340ft lbs at the wheels.

^^^awesome thread on this clutch, there’s also one that’s R specific (the thread, not the clutch)

Dude, thanks for this.

Dr.Bora

Passed Driver's Ed
disc is also not the weak point, its the pressure plate.

the TTRS clutch will hold up as well.
my buddy has that with his mabo 560 turbo kit making 400 wtq

drshark

Ready to race!
disc is also not the weak point, its the pressure plate.

the TTRS clutch will hold up as well.
my buddy has that with his mabo 560 turbo kit making 400 wtq

That’s perfect! I was hoping someone would chime in with that kind of story. I find you just can’t stop that little voice insider your head that says, “shouldn’t you be safe and get the extra-strength fill-in-the-blank”?

Now just waiting for parts to come in...

Shawn

Dr.Bora

Passed Driver's Ed
Just make sure that you inspect the flywheel for heat spots and grooves.
if the factory clutch isn't slipping yet chances are the flywheel is still in good shape

drshark

Ready to race!
Just make sure that you inspect the flywheel for heat spots and grooves.
if the factory clutch isn't slipping yet chances are the flywheel is still in good shape

Good point; I talked to the installer to make sure...

Shawn

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie

Holy Hell Thanks, I didn't think of this... I was thinking a clutches torque rating was based on the torque at the wheels... Damn now I have to rethink this...