GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup @ 80k - Before and After Photos

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Has anyone documented the borescope procedure for Getting a good look at all 8 valves? Iirc, the flaps and other things are an impediment. Do you need an above average scope?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anybody who was running a PCV delete OCC system had to do the cleaning with mileage as low as some of you have posted? I've had my OCC since the car was new and I'm at 55,000 miles and no misfires or other symptoms.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Has anybody who was running a PCV delete OCC system had to do the cleaning with mileage as low as some of you have posted? I've had my OCC since the car was new and I'm at 55,000 miles and no misfires or other symptoms.
If you don't me asking, which one?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I tried to bore scope mine and couldn't. Between a cheap scope and the flaps it was impossible to find my way to the valves.

Sorry for the lack of an update. It's now been 3 months and I CAN CONFIRM that per my OBDeleven, I have not had any misfires since the cleaning!

I'm pretty thrilled, and I think this means that for my specific car, the carbon was 100% causing the misfires and the cleaning fixed it. I'm now at approximately 83k miles (3k miles after cleaning).

I had severe.misfires starting at 45k. I changed the plugs and coils, even tried a fuel injector cleaner. I was even going into limp mode at times and had a very rough idle. My dealer removed the carbon and now car is running like new.

Stija says you're wrong. Lol

Over 50k on mine, never ran an OCC until very recently. Valves were very clean. They all had small donuts of carbon around the stems, but the heads of the valves and the ports themselves looked great.

Top tiers fuels and a hard life seem to work well. Now MPI and E85 will clean it right out.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I tried to bore scope mine and couldn't. Between a cheap scope and the flaps it was impossible to find my way to the valves.

Over 50k on mine, never ran an OCC until very recently. Valves were very clean. They all had small donuts of carbon around the stems, but the heads of the valves and the ports themselves looked great.

Top tiers fuels and a hard life seem to work well. Now MPI and E85 will clean it right out.

No doubt the MPI and ethanol is helping a lot.

eajr

Go Kart Champion

I have babied my Gti for the majority of its life, with some occasional (and somewhat limited) spirited driving. My dealer instructed me to drive it harder more often to prevent further carbon buildup :D

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Now, yes.

When I saw the valves it was during the MPI install.

How much can we expect MPI to clean these valves off. Will they slowly wear down the carbon, or if its too thick it will still need manual cleaning?

I have MPI, planning on maybe installing this weekend. Will get a look at the valves then.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Sharing my experience since no one in my family seems to appreciate how nice it feels to have shiny valves.

1st photo - buildup after 115k, stock. Worst cyl.

2nd photo - buildup after 5k of MPI (inc. hybrid turbo, LPFP). Noticeably cleaner.

3rd photo - after blasting (diff cylinder but all ended up the same)

IMG_0639.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

IMG_0580.jpeg

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Curious, what MPI injectors are you using?
CTS/APR or something like PR?

Bosch 0280158040 (~1000cc) in an otherwise OEM setup (minus the harness).

I think those kits all use similar injectors.

Looks like mpi did a great job in just 5k.

For sure - was pleasantly surprised. Track time might have accelerated the process as I think my tune has MPI come on at 5k rpm, I rarely get there on the street.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
@yakev724 Curious as to why you decided against wallnut blasting/manually cleaning the values when you went MPI. I've been holding off on my carbon cleaning until I'm ready to go MPI.