GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
Exterior looks mostly ok to me, except for the lower grille area. Are those large fog lamps behind the honeycomb, or very small lamps - one in each cell?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Everybody should reserve judgement until you see it in person. You really can't tell from pictures.

I often say that I need to see a car in person to truly tell.
But there is no way, that giant underbite is going to look good in person.
That, along with the stoner eyes headlights.
I haven't been "this guy" before, but they killed this car exterior styling and interior wise.
And they killed it at a time when most other manufacturers are really upping their game inside and out.
VW led the way for a while - not anymore.
Performance will likely be better, but that's not enough for me to get past those looks.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
So it's basically the same engine and transmissions, with the addition of 25hp and a little tq. That being said have we heard anything about them beefing up the 6spd to handle the additional power since The MK8 is basically a stage 1 Mk7, power wise

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
So it's basically the same engine and transmissions, with the addition of 25hp and a little tq. That being said have we heard anything about them beefing up the 6spd to handle the additional power since The MK8 is basically a stage 1 Mk7, power wise
Haha. You know the R has the same clutch, right? If anything, they'll have probably made the Mk8 clutch even worse.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I often say that I need to see a car in person to truly tell.
But there is no way, that giant underbite is going to look good in person.
That, along with the stoner eyes headlights.
I haven't been "this guy" before, but they killed this car exterior styling and interior wise.
And they killed it at a time when most other manufacturers are really upping their game inside and out.
VW led the way for a while - not anymore.
Performance will likely be better, but that's not enough for me to get past those looks.

So, it's still a box. You could line up a Mk6, 7 and 8 and 97 out of 100 people couldn't tell them apart. The other 3 would own Golfs.

i happen to think the Mk6 is much better looking than the slab sided, boring Mk7 design and many of the Mk8 tweaks bring back the better parts of the Mk6. But those last few sentences would have put my wife to sleep.

bcgti

Ready to race!
I like the look and don’t mind the interior.

But for me, at this point in my life, I feel the lack of an electrified drivetrain (for NA) makes this irrelevant. If you had free money to invest right now would you honestly feel oil/gas is the smart choice?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I like the look and don’t mind the interior.

But for me, at this point in my life, I feel the lack of an electrified drivetrain (for NA) makes this irrelevant. If you had free money to invest right now would you honestly feel oil/gas is the smart choice?
I think one of our two cars will likely be EV, but that's the wife's problem. Mine will continue to have three pedals.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
That generic-looking engine cover looks like they cut cost by 75%... goes nicely with the prop rod in place of a strut.

Clearly the bean counters have ravaged the poor GTI.. will be interesting to see what else has been cheapened.

This was one of the first things that caught my eye when I was looking though the pics in the link I posted. I like how the MK7 is.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
So happy with my GTI MK7.5 .
But the MK8 my grow on me and want to see it in person before I make a final decision
in 2024. By then who knows a mid re-fresh may clean this front end mess up.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Haha. You know the R has the same clutch, right? If anything, they'll have probably made the Mk8 clutch even worse.
If thats the case, why does the GTI clutch fail when power is added, but the Golf R clutch is generally ok if power is kept stock? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I have a DSG so I haven't done much digging into this

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
The little shifter is ridiculous and looks bad, and why would you put capacitive buttons on a remote? Anyway, the rest is fine, it looks great, the digital cluster as always is nice in the VW / Audi stuff.

I actually like the little shifter for the DSG. It's not something that you spend much time with, anyway, and it does clear up a lot of space, which I think any owner would appreciate pretty quickly. They are all going that way, anyway. ....I kinda like this interior more than I did from the standard 2020 Golf reveals. I think I could definitely get used to it.

And hell, I kinda like that plaid, too. The front seats looks comfy as hell.

EDIT: (days later, lol) so yeah, now that I look at that video, I agree with others that the plaid looks particularly cheap. I actually like the pattern and the design of the seats overall, but enough video and you can see the machine-printing in those plaid swatches....that just, eh cheap. damn. It looks more obvious? I dunno.

I think the straight-on rear shot is the best view of the car. quarter-rear and the rest...eh. It has that pointy bubble ass that is becoming a thing with the Japanese hatchbacks. I don't really like that.

Think that raises my eyebrow is no adaptive suspension for the models being sent to the states? wtf?

Last edited:

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Think that raises my eyebrow is no adaptive suspension for the models being sent to the states? wtf?

I noticed that as well, but I'm skeptical. Have they even decided on feature allocation for the different trim levels yet? Adaptive suspension was always reserved for the Autobahn trim anyway.