GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI SE: How would you mod with $5k? $10k? $15k?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
This is crazy talk, my pedal feels great. Very responsive and feels as real-time as possible.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So stock is a linear pedal feel, where the pedal tuners are the exact opposite of a linear pedal feel, and create pretty much a flat\dead zone from like 35% - 65% pedal input?
Yes...linear with respect to accelerator switch voltage output to accelerator pedal movement - NOT, throttle movement which is what folks are generally talking about in this discussion. I have a graph of that in that thread shown below. I hypothesize that the pedal box would straighten this line out and be the mythical "linear" throttle eveyone wants but I have never spend anymore time playing with it...maybe one day I'll do it. To do this, I used live data on my OBDEleven to see the variables and held the pedal at the various % positions in the first columm then recorded the %throttle that I had to generate this.

59ba9903b970bdd6f3c6fa785518317e.jpg

A pedal tuner just forces all of the throttle forward so you get it with v. little pedal travel - I have a BMS pedal box and run it on max possible...it's very touchy and you get most of the throttle in the first ~35% of pedal input like you pointed out then it's flat the rest of the way i.e. pushing the pedal more doesn't do anything else for you. The term "linear" is used but it's misplaced in this discussion. What folks want is to make the pedal more touchy. This can also be handled on the tuning side with torque request - the open source guys can play with it to achieve a similar results. The pedal box is basically a JB4...it's "tricking" the throttle to be more sensitive. I really like it but I turn it down when others in my family drive it so they don't send it through the garage and into my living room.

There is another one (OBDEleven app or change) that is called "increased engine responsiveness" but really that's the "audi" mod as I call it (and it's referred to that elsewhere) - you litterally change the manufacturer in the long coding from VW to Audi. I tested that too and didn't see any differences but at least it's in the engine control unit. It knocks out your cruise control so at least *some* plausibility that it is impacting the throttle in some way.

Last edited:

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Standard is38 turbo + hpfp + sneeky canned e48 tune = very affordable ~400hp

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
But its cooler and more stealthy to have a modded GTI. Only other car-people would know that something is up. To me its so funny to get challenged by someone, and then just gap them and the dumbfounded expressions are priceless. S3, R. TTS, and others are what I call "expected fast." If you go fast in those or otherwise horsing around, people don't care because they know those cars are already fast. Plus the 5- oh is more likely to notice you. I've chased a Cayman, and M3 and others through surprise speed traps at 90+, and never get pulled over because the po-po too busy looking at the other car that more looks the part.

Unfortunately, you're still driving a GTI.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately, you're still driving a GTI.
I'd be quite happy bee-bopin' along in my (insert German luxury vehicle here) and getting gapped by someone in a GTI.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
There is another one (OBDEleven app or change) that is called "increased engine responsiveness" but really that's the "audi" mod as I call it (and it's referred to that elsewhere) - you litterally change the manufacturer in the long coding from VW to Audi. I tested that too and didn't see any differences but at least it's in the engine control unit. It knocks out your cruise control so at least *some* plausibility that it is impacting the throttle in some way.
I tested this (for someone looking for a tweak to increase throttle response) on my TDI, 6MT. No change in throttle response and it didn't even mess with my cruise control.
https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/35210/#post-296266
That person ultimately bought a pedal box.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Hey All! Let me know if this is a redundant question as I’m a newbie to the GTI modding world.

I have a 7.5 GTI SE automatic with 20k miles. It’s stock except for an off the shelf Cobb stage 1 tune and a K&N air filter - see? I said I was a newbie.

I’m trying to figure out a budget for the build and while I could swing $15k in upgrades over the next year I’m curious how an experienced tuner would spend their money. Also, I don’t have a garage or access to one so I will need a shop to do the upgrades.

Looks are important but I’m more concerned with performance. I know I want new wheels, tires, and coilovers.

If you were me, how would you spend $10k to $15k ranked in order of performance?

Thank you in advance for your help.
A little late to the thread but feel free to check out my build thread. I haven’t spent much on labor as I’ve installed everything myself - the fmic and BFI engine/trans mounts. I also have a lot of tools and a quick jack. For me, building the car myself has been a huge enjoyment and has saved a ton on labor costs.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I spoke with the OP at length this afternoon & after really diving into what was most important for how he’d be using the car (& keeping it long term) this is the list I came up with to meet his goals.

I had some downtime at the airport, so after investing a decent amount of time into this list I figured I’d share it here for anyone else who may be interested. Without context of our conversation I’m sure there’s stuff other forum members would tweak, but based on picking the OP’s brain this is my recipe for success.

Baun Performance LLC

-FMIC $900
-V2 3” DP $1,800
-Less Aggressive CBE $2,000
Or
-Valved CBE $3,000

Parts total: W/o Valved $4,700
W/Valved $5,700

Labor (install FMIC, DP, CBE,
BFI dogbone insert, & Rear Sway bar) $500

———————-Total $5,200~$6,200———————

OEM IHI is38 $1,208
KIT-IHIIS38KIT.JPG
[URL='https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-turbocharger-upgrade-kit-is38-ihi-kit-ihiis38kit']Audi VW Turbocharger Upgrade Kit (IS38) - IHI KIT-IHIIS38KIT
[/URL]

H&R RSB $352.63
H_RRearSwayBar26mmMK7FWD_1024x.png
[URL='https://www.bmptuning.com/products/h-r-rear-sway-bar-26mm-mk7-fwd?pr_prod_strat=use_description&pr_rec_id=3e6992fe9&pr_rec_pid=2493918478454&pr_ref_pid=2493919133814&pr_seq=uniform']H&R Rear Sway Bar 26mm MK7 FWD
[/URL]
Moog endlinks $34.54 (sold individually @17.27)
[URL='https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,2018,gti,2.0l+l4+turbocharged,3442079,suspension,sway+bar+link,7580']2018 VOLKSWAGEN GTI 2.0L L4 Turbocharged Sway Bar Link
[/URL]

Bilstein B14 Coilovers $1,160
BIL-47251588.jpg
[URL='https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-pss-coilover-kit-bilstein-b14-47-251588']Audi VW PSS Coilover Kit - Bilstein B14 47-251588
[/URL]

SuperPro LCA $653 ($53 more than from ECS tuning,
Because ECS isn’t worth the risk of awful customer service).
SuperProSupaloyFrontLowerControlArmsMQB_1024x.png
[URL='https://www.bmptuning.com/collections/mk7-gti-2-0t-i4-mqb/products/superpro-supaloy-front-lower-control-arms-mqb']SuperPro Supaloy Front Lower Control Arms MQB
[/URL]

APR is38 $500~750

APR DSG Tune $500

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 $800
mi_pilot_sport_all_season_4_full.jpg
[URL='https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+All+Season+4&partnum=24YR8PSAS4XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Golf+GTI+SE&autoModClar=&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Golf+GTI+SE&autoModClar=']Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 for 2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI SE
[/URL]

Local Tennessee shop labor estimate for
suspension, LCA, turbo, tire & tune installation
$1,275

Approximately $13,000 total parts/labor.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
I spoke with the OP at length this afternoon & after really diving into what was most important for how he’d be using the car (& keeping it long term) this is the list I came up with to meet his goals.

I had some downtime at the airport, so after investing a decent amount of time into this list I figured I’d share it here for anyone else who may be interested. Without context of our conversation I’m sure there’s stuff other forum members would tweak, but based on picking the OP’s brain this is my recipe for success.
Nice list for a well-rounded street driven car! 👍

I didn't talk to him, but it might be worth adding a more aggressive street pad and higher temp fluid as well. E.g. Hawk HPS 5.0 and Motul RBF600. These can be done whenever it's time for a brake service. Also, the stock engine/trans mounts will probably be pretty warn after a couple years at that power level. BFI stg 1 mounts might be a down the road upgrade as well.

Some people are probably gonna take issue with spending $13k for "only" those upgrades. But you've choosen quality parts that shouldn't cause headaches a couple years down the line. I'd say if he wanted to bring the price down, I'd look at keeping the stock DP and doing a CSS/TCR muffler. Add a res delete for more volume if desired. EQT is supposed to be coming out with a stock DP IS38 tune soon'ish, probably this year.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nice list for a well-rounded street driven car! 👍

I didn't talk to him, but it might be worth adding a more aggressive street pad and higher temp fluid as well. E.g. Hawk HPS 5.0 and Motul RBF600. These can be done whenever it's time for a brake service. Also, the stock engine/trans mounts will probably be pretty warn after a couple years at that power level. BFI stg 1 mounts might be a down the road upgrade as well.

Some people are probably gonna take issue with spending $13k for "only" those upgrades. But you've choosen quality parts that shouldn't cause headaches a couple years down the line. I'd say if he wanted to bring the price down, I'd look at keeping the stock DP and doing a CSS/TCR muffler. Add a res delete for more volume if desired. EQT is supposed to be coming out with a stock DP IS38 tune soon'ish, probably this year.

Absolutely, BFI mounts are on the list I just forgot to add the link (dog bone insert is going in while I have it on the lift, per usual as that’s my minimum recommendation).

I’ve got 131k on my complete set of BFI stage 2 & they’ve been flawless. I highly doubt any other brand has hit that milestone or more.

I 100% agree on the brake upgrades as well, I’m pretty sure I sent him this video, but if not it’s here:
Since he doesn’t have any plans to track it in the immediate future he might as well wait till it’s due for brake to upgrade pads

Sound wise he wants it to be substantial so keeping the OEM DP is out (we discussed this at length).

I actually kind of talked him out of the 400whp goal and down to the conservative is38 APR tune I run because heat management is a compounding issue for track day fun. Could also go EQT, but just selling his current Cobb AP would almost pay for the APR tune (which has been flawless on my car).

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
@GTI Jake what about EQT is38 & tune? You can get good package deals on that setup and you have an Accessport.
Agreed, this is probably the better move now that FCP has raised the price and less favorable warranty terms.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
@GTI Jake what about EQT is38 & tune? You can get good package deals on that setup and you have an Accessport.

He can sell the AP & pay for the APR tune.

APR is the only tuner using a second set of independent sensors as R&D tools. I’m a fan of EQT for guys who’ve got a setup that requires flexibility for a growing mod list, e85 blends, ECT, but at the end of the day APR is still the king of set it & forget it reliability.

Agreed, this is probably the better move now that FCP has raised the price and less favorable warranty terms.

I stand by FCP lifetime warranty is the only way to buy a is38. Idc how new & improved brand XYZ is38+ is, a turbo is a wear item and it will need replacement eventually.

He’s like me, planning to keep the car forever. A few bucks here isn’t significant, but a whole additional turbo in the future is.