GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI SE: How would you mod with $5k? $10k? $15k?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
They're not even that cheap anymore... in 2019 I paid $492 for a set (without install) and now they're $700.
Last month I paid $750 for falken 615s including install.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
They're not even that cheap anymore... in 2019 I paid $492 for a set (without install) and now they're $700.
Last month I paid $750 for falken 615s including install.
It's amazing how expensive all rubber is now. I just paid over 1700$ for ps4s for my wife's Q7 and the tires on my bicycle were 190$.

Years ago on the gti i moved to 17s for the dramatically cheaper rubber and ability to fine tune your tire's "spring rate" with pressure more with the taller sidewall, but now even 17s in a 245, 255, or 265 are getting wildly expensive. I think my set of ps4s was $1k or so in 245/40/17...worth it for those tires on the street though. They're incredible at tuning out the high frequency vibrations that the mqb cars seem to be prone to.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I’d probably do the APR turbo that comes with bundled tuning. If not, IS38 or Vortex, Baun FMIC or a D088. Suspension depending on your use, BFI insert.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I did try that and didn't notice a difference, that's why I assumed maybe it needed a DSG tune? The bimmer had a DCT which was very reactive.
B/c that change does absolutely zero w/r to the throttle.

75pa1z.jpg

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I ran that change in OBD11 for a while in 2018... later I kept noticing after going over the speed bumps in my apartment parking lot the throttle was funky and made it difficult to smoothly re-engage the clutch.
Then I remembered the change I had made weeks ago and switched it back and from there I no longer had the issue anymore.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That change actually changes how quickly the steering switches over to/from dynamic/normal when you change the drive mode from sport/race/normal if you have that option in your MQB. I mean...it's in the steering control module. I spent a ton of time logging this and really trying to figure it out.

Get a pedal box and then you'll see what "direct" throttle actually feels like.

pedal box.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That change actually changes how quickly the steering switches over to/from dynamic/normal when you change the drive mode from sport/race/normal if you have that option in your MQB. I mean...it's in the steering control module. I spent a ton of time logging this and really trying to figure it out.

View attachment 276256

I’m completely lost with this information.

Where’s the stock line? What’s “direct”, a coding change via VCDS?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

View attachment 276256
Maybe your car is different because you have an inferior transmission

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I’m completely lost with this information.

Where’s the stock line? What’s “direct”, a coding change via VCDS?
The change folks say gives you better throttle sensitivity is found here (VCDS/OBDeleven..makes no difference):

Steering Assistance control unit
adapatations
Driving profile switchover

2 choices - 1) incremental, controlled over time (default) and 2) Direct, controlled over threshold value (what folks change it to)

On my graph, this is what I am referring to with the various lines. I also logged a pedal tuner (BMS) and clearly you can see it changes the voltage output of the accelerator switch for any given amount of pedal over stock. Folks change this or use the OBDEleven app called "throttle pedal response" but this is what that app (or macro) is changing for you.

I logged the change under driving profile switchover to see what it was doing and in an MQB that has driving modes (sport, race, eco, etc.) when you change that setting and then hit your driving mode button, it changes the physical amount of time it take for the steering to switchover...it's in the steering module afterall so that would make sense. Direct is instant when you change and indirect has a bit of a delay. I have a big thread over on vortex where I logged this and really tried to nail it down...nothing I could see had any impact of that change on the throttle sensitivity. Post #79 is a summary:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/logging-direct-throttle-vcds-obdeleven-tweak.9392853/

Sorry to derail the thread.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Maybe your car is different because you have an inferior transmission
MQB is MQB I hate to say w/r to what these changes do for you.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

View attachment 276256

So stock is a linear pedal feel, where the pedal tuners are the exact opposite of a linear pedal feel, and create pretty much a flat\dead zone from like 35% - 65% pedal input?