Attachments

• 54F56BC6-B97D-4ECC-B8F9-FC57102F8EF1.jpeg
    54F56BC6-B97D-4ECC-B8F9-FC57102F8EF1.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 61

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Finally got around to having my buddy up (sans family) and 'we' knocked out the BFI mounts. By which I mean me, while he had a beer and we caught up. Good times.

I don't know if I was just super lucky, or if I'm a far better mechanic than I thought I was -- the install was easy. Transmission side went super smooth, hardest part about the engine side was figuring out how to safely support the engine. Found torque specs via a ShopDAP video, BFI's website didn't have anything for the engine side. Spec seems awfully low to me, something like 34-44 ft-lbs depending on which bolt. But it hasn't fallen out yet, so that's a plus. Initial reaction is there's very mildly more NVH (mostly noise) than with the Powerflex insert alone, however there does feel like a notable reduction in drivetrain movement. I also did a set of delrin shifter bushings and realigned the shifter, it feels much better now than before. Noise from the SMF is more pronounced now at lower RPMs, I'm likely going to take it to the shop that did the clutch kit install to have them verify the noise is normal alongside having them do the VAQ service.
How did you handle getting to the nuts under the wiring harness? I did mine about a year ago (just the insert) and remember it being a bit of a pain in the ass with those bolts. I have the full mount sitting ready for install and wondered if you may have any tips.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Dang bro. Iirc you're from Hialeah no? That last rain spell y'all got in Miami was crazy. Is it possible that the gasket meant to seal up the roof and the antenna went out on you and allowed that leak to happen? I'd stat there

Sorry that happened. That freaking sucks.
we been having alot of rain lately down here in south FL. It's that time of the year. I'm honestly not sure. I do creek the windows down alot when it rains maybe water went that way and caused it?

Check the if the accordion style grommets between hatch and body are fully attached/sealed.
What is accordion style grommets? Is it the two black plastic pieces?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
we been having alot of rain lately down here in south FL. It's that time of the year. I'm honestly not sure. I do creek the windows down alot when it rains maybe water went that way and caused it?

What is accordion style grommets? Is it the two black plastic pieces?
Also Check your 3rd brake light and sharkfin, those are common water entry points for headline too.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Guess I don’t understand the issue. Depending on engine codes, cams are available for purchase. I may be new to VW but seems like engine internals would follow simple bolt ons.
Genuinely want to learn, so if you know more about stoichiometry than me, feel free to help out. Otherwise, see you. If you had to look that word up, I get why my question about a cam would confuse you.
Man, I get they were kinda harsh - but coming in and saying stuff like this when you've got a people on these forums who are building their own cars, tuning their own cars, on a platform you don't know all that well is a bit much. I'm very much a rookie when it comes to cars in general - but if you're thinking cams -> more oxygen -> more combustion -> more power, most people will ask you why you aren't just turning up the boost....

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Guess I don’t understand the issue. Depending on engine codes, cams are available for purchase. I may be new to VW but seems like engine internals would follow simple bolt ons.
Genuinely want to learn, so if you know more about stoichiometry than me, feel free to help out. Otherwise, see you. If you had to look that word up, I get why my question about a cam would confuse you.
GTI/Rs have VVL/VVT. I don't believe I've seen anyone do a cam swap for internal building on a Gen3 Ea888. Most of the Stoich is handled ECU wise, SOI and End SOI can all be adjusted electronically, as can your cam positions and such.
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/the-definitive-guide-to-mk7-gti-ea888-engine-gen-3

"
Upgrading the factory engine connecting rods and pistons with forged versions can allow you to more safely exceed the 400 horsepower range provided that the fueling and turbocharger are similarly upgraded. Popular parts brands include Integrated Engineering, JE Pistons, and Mahle Motorsport, while Integrated Engineering also offers complete, pre-built short and long blocks. IROZ Motorsport offers a number of hybrid and big-turbo options for the Gen 3 EA888 engine in the Mk7 GTI, which, when paired with United Motorsport tuning and fueling upgrades, can produce 800+ horsepower. DBV2 is another popular ‘hybrid’ turbo company which offers upgraded versions of the factory IS38 turbocharger, with custom turbine and compressor wheels offering more airflow and horsepower potential in a factory housing.

When it comes to increasing power on the Mk7 GTI, the only real limit is your budget. The number of performance tuning options is staggering, and no matter how you plan on using your GTI or whatever your horsepower goal may be, there is an option on the market to help you achieve that goal. "

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
He has a 19 GTI. VW gave them nice access holes for the bolts in the harness holder. When someone says they just knocked out the tranny mount you know they didn't have to mcguyver some shit together to make it work.
Well ain't that a bitch. I'm pretty sure I have that 16mm crow's foot around here somewhere

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I ignored it and dailied the Outback. I've become a lesbian.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I ignored it and dailied the Outback. I've become a lesbian.

Mail me your unused intercooler. Or if you come up to NY again, bring it and I'll meet you somewhere. Promise no murder.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Jay is flying to down to help install. All I had to do was promise him a matching leopard skin speedo.

Damn bro you gonna get murdered.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
How did you handle getting to the nuts under the wiring harness? I did mine about a year ago (just the insert) and remember it being a bit of a pain in the ass with those bolts. I have the full mount sitting ready for install and wondered if you may have any tips.
Honestly I yanked the plastic out of the way, and got in there with a flex head 3/8" for the two body mount bolts towards the engine, and the two closer to the fender I was able to get to with a socket and extension. It was mildly annoying, but not as awful as I was expecting. Idk, it sounded like without specific flex sockets it'd be nearly impossible, but the job didn't go badly at all. I will say though, it was very convenient to have ratcheting wrenches and pass-through sockets, otherwise I would've been spending more time realigning the wrench.

Flex head ratchet definitely made things easier though, I think one could get away with just that and an extension.