GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think folks need to keep APR's target audience in mind here - the folks that want to be able to switch maps/fuels will likely go with Cobb or a flex option like United. Some folks have E85 around or may not travel with their car and can handle a tune that is hard to switch to regular gas.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think folks need to keep APR's target audience in mind here - the folks that want to be able to switch maps/fuels will likely go with Cobb or a flex option like United. Some folks have E85 around or may not travel with their car and can handle a tune that is hard to switch to regular gas.
Agree with this to an extent. The audience is clearly the plug-and-play-set-it-and-forget-it crowd, I feel that has been APR's bread and butter for years now. The valet option on the MKV was handy though if you were going to let a friend borrow the car or something and didn't want all that power on tap for a novice driver.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I just think it’s odd that apr has these e85 and these race fuel tunes. Yet tunes aren’t switchable and there’s no device to allow one to flash at home. What would even be the point?
We don't charge customers to change tunes. Some dealers don't either. We intend to bring at home flashing to market in several forms and are actively working on it.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
found someone with an APR bench backup. Arin is telling the "truth" about knock sensitivity, in that they don't touch the detection itself. But they do modify the spark retard during knock, and the knock factor. So the timing the ECU pulls by default is not what it will pull on an APR tune. Like I said, word games.
Not sure if you really stole our tune or not, but there are no word games in my post. Go re-read my post. The stock tune does not use the knock adaptation. We do. The factory simply uses a heavy pull and long delay. We use a sensible one because we're properly using the knock adaption, again, which the factory does not use. We don't use mini-pulls / quick decays like many do. We do not de-sensitize the knock sensors either. We add LSPI protection events as well.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Agree with this to an extent. The audience is clearly the plug-and-play-set-it-and-forget-it crowd, I feel that has been APR's bread and butter for years now. The valet option on the MKV was handy though if you were going to let a friend borrow the car or something and didn't want all that power on tap for a novice driver.
It is 100% their audience - folks here seem to miss that part. These type of features aren't critical to them selling their product as others have that market taken care of. It's always nice to have all options but from a business standpoint, it doesn't make any sense if that only gains them a few sales b/c then you are spending money to compete with companies (like the Cobb AP folks - EQT for example) that have that market cornered effectively. To me the value would be a flex option like United and IE.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If I’m buying used. I would’ve left the car alone for at least a year before modding cuz u just never know.
Each day that passes the car gets incrementaly less reliable at some point so folks wait for years to mod b/c of the warranty but in fact they would best to mod from a reliability standpoint as soon as possible to take advantage of the fact that the car is in it's most reliable state/least worn early in it's life.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Each day that passes the car gets incrementaly less reliable at some point so folks wait for years to mod b/c of the warranty but in fact they would best to mod from a reliability standpoint as soon as possible to take advantage of the fact that the car is in it's most reliable state/least worn early in it's life.
I feel this is the way to go also. Don't wait to enjoy the car.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
RE: Turbo on Reddit – I spoke to the support team to get more info about the reddit post. This is the first failure we’ve seen. We replaced the turbo right away, without seeing it, no charge. When we got the turbo back, we disassembled and inspected. The turbine and compressor wheels were still contained. The bearing assembly showed signs of oil starvation which we believe caused the shaft to snap.

I would not run an engine with a low oil pressure issue. That may be related to why the turbo failed in the first place, based on what we’ve seen, and can and most likely will cause issues with the engine, bearings, etc. I think this needs a deeper dive to figure out why the engine is seeing low oil pressure in the first place.

Our team is happy to help and work with your dealers.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I feel this is the way to go also. Don't wait to enjoy the car.
buT mUh waRRAnteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If I’m buying used. I would’ve left the car alone for at least a year before modding cuz u just never know.

Meanwhile, me when I buy an R with 65k miles after one week: Eh fuck it #YOLO

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Does that standpoint really exist when buying used? Cuz to me it doesn’t. U dunno wtf the last guy did. U dunno how he treated the car. And qualifying for cpo status really isn’t hard or expensive either

in 8k miles (bought new aug2020) I’ve changed my oil 5 times. Already flushed the brakes and performed the lsd service too

not saying my car is pristine but I tracked it twice. And that’s my point. On paper my car fax would look like my car is an immaculate example of a 2020 autobahn GTI when in reality it’s been abused like a mother fucker