GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST40 Brake Pad Reference Guide

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Figured since most of us who took advantage of the StopTech BBK sale a few years back are about due for pads I’d start a thread with information on what/where/how much to streamline shopping for replacements.

My goal is to use FCP Euro’s lifetime warranty, so the work around there is Porsche 944 Turbo shares the same pads as the ST40 (I’m sure others as well, and this may be the case for the smaller ST41 (chime in of you know).

Link to FCP DS2500 in ST40 Fitment:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-performance-brake-pad-set-ferodo-racing-fcp560h

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=9853

I’m surprised nobody’s chimed in with good information, this is a absolute pain in the ass.

So above I linked PFC brakes Z rated for ST40, which are American made right down the street from me in Clover, SC which is a BIG plus for me (I try to buy American made and support local when I can).

Problem is they don’t do any over the counter sales, and I’m having trouble finding rear Golf R pads in the same compound (hence the link that isn’t PFC site, which also doesn’t do any direct sales).

I’ve called them, and they’re completely absent helpful employees from what I’ve seen after several calls, emails, and follow up calls to other representatives based on their suggestions…every single one of them had a massive lack of interest in helping me buy some pads (ST40 aka 944 Turbo front & R32 Mk5 aka same as Mk7R/PP GTI after some PN digging).

Wrapping back around to exploring FCP Euro, their awful website has been massively frustrating too. They have completely different products offered depending on what year 944 Turbo you search, and I still have yet to find anything for the front that matches what they offer for the R32 in the rear.

Full disclosure, I love the Stop Tech 309 pads on my car now, so those or something comparable would be great, but again FCP doesn’t seem to carry them for either end of my car (Stop Tech 308, which is the Street pad vs 309 being slightly more aggressive Sport).

End rant for now, but if you’ve been down this road please throw your two cents in as I’ve invested tons of time over the last few months and still haven’t come up with a winning combination to suit aggressively driven daily/some mild track use.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Welp there goes my plan... I was planning on purchasing from ZeckHausen when that time comes. I've done some casual digging myself on the ST-41 and agreed... it's a massive pain in the ass. There's very little info out there.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I agree about the Stoptech 309 pads. They are great. Use them on the street and a few track days. They were great on track too.

I use the 308 on the rear since they don't make the 309 for stock TSI 288mm brakes

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I agree about the Stoptech 309 pads. They are great. Use them on the street and a few track days. They were great on track too.

I use the 308 on the rear since they don't make the 309 for stock TSI 288mm brakes

Maybe I’ll put a product request in with FCP for the 309s in 944 Turbo and R32 fitment. It worked for the DTR turbo going up on the site.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Cool thread I'll chime in, been using the st40 for a few years, stock gti calipers in the rear. Finding the right pad can be tedious, the tires you're using play a big factor as well. I use rs4 tires which are 200tw.

The only street pad I used with them was the stoptech sport pad, they were meh. Not a lot of bite and were just ok. I run only track pads now even when I drive it on the street.

Combos I've tried:

Carbotech xp10 front, xp10 rear
The car felt un balanced during hard braking and during trail braking on a track.

Carbotech xp10 front, xp8 rear
It was recommended by a buddy to step down to a less aggressive pad in the rear, definitely helped and the car felt good and balanced again but I felt like I wanted more bite

Carbotech xp12 front, xp10 rear
This has been the money combo for me and the car feels great. I can outbrake a lot of cars on the track and it just feels perfect. So much that I haven't wanted to try anything else, I've had about 10 sets of this pad combo and will continue. I get about double the rear pad life than I do the fronts. They're good on rotors too, I've changed the outer rings 4 times and rebuilt the pistons/seals twice. The st40 kit is awesome. Super easy to rebuild and change pads quickly, takes 2 mins each side.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Feel like the XP12/XP10 is really extreme. Even with just the Stoptech 309 pads, RS4 tire traction is the limiting factor at least it felt that way, but I'm not that experienced and what I'm feeling could just be the pads glazing or overheating.

That being said, I'm going to try the xp10/xp8 combo next time. Not advanced enough for more than that right now.

So when searching for pads for the ST40 kit, do you just search 1990 Porsche 944 Turbo?

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Feel like the XP12/XP10 is really extreme. Even with just the Stoptech 309 pads, RS4 tire traction is the limiting factor at least it felt that way, but I'm not that experienced and what I'm feeling could just be the pads glazing or overheating.

That being said, I'm going to try the xp10/xp8 combo next time. Not advanced enough for more than that right now.

So when searching for pads for the ST40 kit, do you just search 1990 Porsche 944 Turbo?
It's definitely a track setup and is probably too aggressive for a car that sees primarily street use. I doubt you're exceeding the traction limits of rs4 with 309 pads. I don't feel like there's any traction limits even with xp12/xp10.

They're definitely loud and annoying so keep that in mind...I've had people yell at me telling me to fix my dangerous brakes...if only they knew.

Low speed driving is jerky because they bite so hard.

It's such a common caliper that most places offer a specific section for st40 pads

Last edited:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
It's definitely a track setup and is probably too aggressive for a car that sees primarily street use. I doubt you're exceeding the traction limits of rs4 with 309 pads. I don't feel like there's any traction limits even with xp12/xp10.

They're definitely loud and annoying so keep that in mind...I've had people yell at me telling me to fix my dangerous brakes...if only they knew.

Low speed driving is jerky because they bite so hard.

It's such a common caliper that most places offer a specific section for step pads
Do you run the 2-piece rotors? Or the 1 piece?

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Where do you get your replacement rings? Thinking about snagging @ckuhns ST40, but can't find those rings.
A buddy of mine owns functionwerks.com I just reach out to him and he hooks it all up way cheaper than anyone I've found. His name is Joshua, tell em VW Jay from Chicago referred you and he'll prob hook up a discount

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
A buddy of mine owns functionwerks.com I just reach out to him and he hooks it all up way cheaper than anyone I've found. His name is Joshua, tell em VW Jay from Chicago referred you and he'll prob hook up a discount
I appreciate it man! Thanks a ton.