GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST40 Brake Pad Reference Guide

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well. Was going to go XP10 F and XP8 R, but thought WTH, go big (or at least bigger) or go home.

Just ordered XP12 F and XP10 R per Jay recommendation.

In hindsight and reading about what tire slip vs brake overheating feels like, it's more likely my 309 brake were overheating vs tires slipping.

Got to the point where my braking point went from 160ft to 220 on COTA back straight.

So can't wait to see how they do next track day.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just wanted to give a short term impression of the DS2500 front pads on my car (ST40 BBK).

Definitely an improvement over StopTech 309 pads.

-Zero noise hot or cold

-great pedal feel, linear all the way down to a predictable lock up point

Overall I have zero complaints outside of them being on the higher end price wise, which is almost moot if you plan to utilize FCP’s lifetime warranty. I’ll definitely be pulling the trigger soon for my rear Mk5 R32 pads as well.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just wanted to give a short term impression of the DS2500 front pads on my car (ST40 BBK).

Definitely an improvement over StopTech 309 pads.

-Zero noise hot or cold

-great pedal feel, linear all the way down to a predictable lock up point

Overall I have zero complaints outside of them being on the higher end price wise, which is almost moot if you plan to utilize FCP’s lifetime warranty. I’ll definitely be pulling the trigger soon for my rear Mk5 R32 pads as well.

I wish FCP carried track oriented pads. That would be an amazing deal.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Does anyone run the Hawk HPS pads? I have the HPS pads up front and the HPS 5.0 (non PP) on the back. I have been pretty pleased with their performance thus far. I think that they offer better bite than the stock pads that came with the kit and they seem to be kind on the rotors with little to no noise. My only complaint is that they dust a fair amount, but that is to be expected for a performance oriented pad. I only street drive the car.

turbovw1

Go Kart Newbie
Does any know if there is a replacement pad that produces less brake dust than the Stoptech pads?

Car is daily driven and minimal spirited driving.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I know this is a pad thread, but what is everyone using for replacement rotors?

Also, what else should I be replacing when the time comes?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I know this is a pad thread, but what is everyone using for replacement rotors?

Also, what else should I be replacing when the time comes?
I use stoptech slotted rings. They come within the motorsport hardware which I don't like because they'll float and are very loud and annoying. I buy the street hardware which uses locking washers that don't loosen up.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I did a bunch of research because I couldn't conceive of paying full price for the coated 355x32 ST rotors. What I found out...what everyone here probably already knows...is that all of ST's 355x32 AeroRotor (normal one...NOT Wide Annulus AeroRotor) replacement rings are the same, they just change the rotor hats to accommodate different cars/kits. I ended up buying ones that were listed for a Cayman kit, and non-coated (screw it), and they were like $250 each off eBay. They didn't come with the hardware kit, but mine were in good enough shape that I just reused them.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I did a bunch of research because I couldn't conceive of paying full price for the coated 355x32 ST rotors. What I found out...what everyone here probably already knows...is that all of ST's 355x32 replacement rings are the same, they just change the rotor hats to accommodate different cars/kits. I ended up buying ones that were listed for a Cayman kit, and non-coated (screw it), and they were like $250 each off eBay. They didn't come with the hardware kit, but mine were in good enough shape that I just reused them.
Do you have a link

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
EDITED MY ORIGINAL POST TO ADD IN "AERO ROTOR, (NOT Wide Annulus AeroRotor)"

The EBAY links below are what I bought. Looks like the price went up, but ~$550 for 2 new rings is still pretty good. If you reference these part numbers on the Zeckhausen website they come up as this https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_5554&products_id=14331, which is the "StopTech Racing" kit. I spoke with a StopTech CS person and this rotor is the exact same shape as the "Street AeroRotor", but the Race part means a) no zinc coating (not corrosion resistant) and it comes with the MAX-Float race hardware (which you don't want to use because your rotors will clang around and sound like they are broken if they aren't up to track operating temps).

So if you have to save a few bucks (me :cool:), if you can live without the corrosion resistance from the zinc coating, and if you can reuse your hardware, this can be an economical way to replace your rings. At least it worked for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166317810402?epid=7030401435&hash=item26b95062e2:g:hP8AAOSwjkVZgKnx&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0JiDMqIeyOUm3hrl+xrnuZCYR2qZo7z4OAjOWtaQ96zW7kvPzEErQXBg13haFiZOvFZRrrRCIK5CptI8MMG0rza3uSgWd/U3ClNRzcg2q6LftvYF13UZuOCxJ9wILN5VMopVqXErSQ+N9YUsh9WVPonhIGYLR7W2kgWHFpQTPtqpq7Y4wyHMMBU8eKDwZ6XisLgVRIKDh6bSiBfJkU/ipB7HI3Pyxj4OilaMqgu+xFRAKvZjMIidmYkSVQtR2ChcT24JarepGCDf81dtkz9VM20=|tkp:Bk9SR8K_yOfSYg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134717579263?epid=1330951995&hash=item1f5dcb1fff:g:ivsAAOSwRoZZgKn4&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4Ne1ik1l3Q1EPQipaL4SA1mpqvi8TX0F0BQ+vSmyBcPDvufMWZYq9aGua4W/pNf0w3AzM2m1G8dkjDoc+sg1TwV92hWIKmKTszUT+qCVCISMgPywULtQxwBE2iePWfqmdE47otDPpP3tRajCoqJZ0omwKzwvOiItbdliAv4VP+ziTH4TshRd6xiV2QEtqG2AEVESL4UxEoInTAd6LjLUN2IwEK/Bu0GpKUJ5kHYiErMOE29RcGRp51yFMhuqbw0USopbu4ozFr1Dm2OWrYYBw/hqoj9aNaK88uCGnA4gWsWO|tkp:BFBMwr_I59Ji

Looks like BuyBrakes.com sells them for $332 with free shipping too. https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech-31.737.1101.87-disc-brake-rotor
Can probably throw the MAX-Float mounting kits on eBay and get $100 back too, or offset the cost of fresh street mounting kits (~$70 per side).

Did a quick Google search for those part numbers. A few places list them for $240...I'd just call and double-check they are actually in stock prior to the order. Seems like the places that sell and then direct ship from StopTech take FOREVER to get the product sent out. YMMV

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Thought it was 86 87, but not 100% sure