GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST40 Brake Pad Reference Guide

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Figured since most of us who took advantage of the StopTech BBK sale a few years back are about due for pads I’d start a thread with information on what/where/how much to streamline shopping for replacements.

My goal is to use FCP Euro’s lifetime warranty, so the work around there is Porsche 944 Turbo shares the same pads as the ST40 (I’m sure others as well, and this may be the case for the smaller ST41 (chime in of you know).
Any pics of them installed plz?

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
My goal is to use FCP Euro’s lifetime warranty, so the work around there is Porsche 944 Turbo shares the same pads as the ST40 (I’m sure others as well, and this may be the case for the smaller ST41 (chime in of you know).

I have a ST41 from the sale. I think the ST41 Stoptech 309 pad part # is 309.06080. According to the product page below, 1986-1989 Porsche 944 Turbo shares the same pad.

https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech-309.06080-sport-brake-pads-with-shims-2-wheel-set

I think the ST40 Stoptech 309 pad part # is 309.06090. According to the product page below, only the 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo shares the same pad. I’m not sure if ST40 and ST41 can use the same 944 pads.

https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech-309.06090-sport-brake-pads-with-shims-2-wheel-set

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I have a ST41 from the sale. I think the ST41 Stoptech 309 pad part # is 309.06080. According to the product page below, 1986-1989 Porsche 944 Turbo shares the same pad.

https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech-309.06080-sport-brake-pads-with-shims-2-wheel-set

I think the ST40 Stoptech 309 pad part # is 309.06090. According to the product page below, only the 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo shares the same pad. I’m not sure if ST40 and ST41 can use the same 944 pads.

https://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech-309.06090-sport-brake-pads-with-shims-2-wheel-set

Thanks for that info, but if you're basing it in the buybrakes site, it's not very accurate. I put in my car model and bought the pads and they were the wrong pads. I checked again to confirm and sure enough, i received the right product that was filtered by model, but it was wrong. They refused to refund or exchange saying it was my fault for not measuring. 🤣 Granted i had them for 6 months before needing to change them out, so i understand them not wanting to exchange or refund, but they wouldn't admit it was wrong and to change it on the website.

Tldr : buybrakes site may not be accurate with fitment

So if anyone needs rear stptech 309 pads for a mk6 golf, let me know. Just pay shipping.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Any pics of them installed plz?
275841FD-832F-45EB-9A75-F200226E3913.jpeg
A9D57A4F-747B-4B55-B80C-6B048BC641E5.jpeg
A51B10AF-8A64-4DE4-BEBC-AB3ADD3259EC.jpeg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
About to pull the trigger on DS2500 for all for corners (FCP lifetime warranty).

I’ve heard tons of great reviews & a hand full of bad ones. Anyone got $0.02 to throw in on that

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
About to pull the trigger on DS2500 for all for corners (FCP lifetime warranty).

I’ve heard tons of great reviews & a hand full of bad ones. Anyone got $0.02 to throw in on that
Friend ran them in his wrx. But he had the sti awd and hubs and brakes swapped in

they don’t stop well in the cold till u put a tiny bit of heat in them

if u ever ran jurid pads (my fave brake pads ever!) it’s like that but not as bad

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Naw I use srf exclusively. It's soo much better
Literally every single cat has been telling me that. Not a single person had anything negative to say about it. It’s like everyone decided to try it one day and fell in love with castrol

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Friend ran them in his wrx. But he had the sti awd and hubs and brakes swapped in

they don’t stop well in the cold till u put a tiny bit of heat in them

if u ever ran jurid pads (my fave brake pads ever!) it’s like that but not as bad

I putt around on cold tires/oil/transmission fluid anyway. I’m religious about proper warm up and cool down time (no WOT below 180F oil temperature).

My biggest thing is I plan on keeping this car with this brake setup forever so using FCP is the long game limiting pad choices.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I putt around on cold tires/oil/transmission fluid anyway. I’m religious about proper warm up and cool down time (no WOT below 180F oil temperature).
I too get the horn honked on me for driving like an old lady till the oil hits 180f 😂

the pads are good. You’ll like em. A wee bit aggressive and they chomp a bit on rotors but not as bad as the yellows

with jurid pads in the winter. As soon as cold start was over and I started moving the car forward I’d lightly drag the brakes a tiny tiny bit from 1-5mph and hold 5mph for 2-3 seconds. Just so I could make my initial stop at this stop sign near my garage exit.

I’ve seen your videos. You’re gonna want to make a variation of that before u get to that road in front of your workshop (maybe) but only for the winter

did u decide on brake fluid yet?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I too get the horn honked on me for driving like an old lady till the oil hits 180f 😂

the pads are good. You’ll like em. A wee bit aggressive and they chomp a bit on rotors but not as bad as the yellows

with jurid pads in the winter. As soon as cold start was over and I started moving the car forward I’d lightly drag the brakes a tiny tiny bit from 1-5mph and hold 5mph for 2-3 seconds. Just so I could make my initial stop at this stop sign near my garage exit.

I’ve seen your videos. You’re gonna want to make a variation of that before u get to that road in front of your workshop (maybe) but only for the winter

did u decide on brake fluid yet?

It has StopTech fluid in it now, idk what I’ll try next