GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi TT (8S) Control Arms

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
I'm using that part number but a Lemforder part. I've had better experience with Lemforder from the BMW world. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when installing them, but I'm also not finished with my all my upgrades yet. I'm finishing up this weekend, I'll let you know what I experience.

I did notice some interference with the spindle and the ball joint retaining plate at full droop (stock strut) but that shouldn't affect anything at ride height.

Thanks. I'm going to order the Lemforder replacements as well. I actually have a feeling that interference you describe is what's going on with my car unfortunately. Not sure if there's a fix here or the arms are simply too long for my setup (notice the ball joint is pointed inward and not straight up/neutral). The ball joints are somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range. Maybe moving them inwards (narrowest track width) is the move as that way they'll be in a more vertical/upright position and will reduce that interference.

I have an S3 so alu subframe and CSS knuckles/lowered on PSS10.

F82B25FC-99FD-46E6-8BD5-B2731603A13B.jpeg

Last edited:

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
Interesting how your ball joints are mounted above the control arm whereas I mounted mine below the control arm per the parts schematics and other photos I've seen of the 8S control arms. As far as the clearance issue, I solved that with a carbide burr on a die grinder (not shown) I doubt the removal of a little material will affect the structural integrity. I've installed an aluminum subframe as well in an attempt to hybridize the suspension GTI/RS if they made one. Currently having trouble with the correct tie rod ends. Then I can do an alignment. I'm sure it's around -4.5 between the spindles, control arms and camber plates I have. But I wanted track width and camber. As far as coilovers... I can't decide.

IMG_0167.jpeg

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Interesting, looks like you're correct - on the TT (mk3) the ball joints are mounted below the LCAs with the plates on top and nuts below.

My main reason for setting the width halfway was it was the widest I could go while keeping exposed tie rod threads at an acceptable level.

This guy claims TT tie rods (inner + outer) did the trick (though he was fitting a mk2/8j setup). If I can solve the interference issue I'd be interested in max width given an adequate tie tod solution.

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index.php?threads/review-audi-tt-rs-tts-control-arm-spindle.167890/

These are also an option, though we don't go to these lengths to stop short of an all oem solution :)

https://www.urotuning.com/products/euro-logic-14mm-tie-rod-extenders-vw-audi-mk4-golf-jetta-mk1-tt?currency=USD&variant=37915895988417&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwkMeUBhBuEiwA4hpqEJQ27C0FWeKRrLJ_8FfJnKaxCk_RH_3Dz5Rf2sHNmEt-JzNpF3Z0NxoClkEQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
Part numbers:

tie rod end (L) - 8S0423811A (Febi 170717)
tie rod end (R) - 8S0423812A (Febi 170718)

Everything else carries over. Will see if these bolt up and allow for the widest track width setting.
Actually. Those 8S outer tie rods will not work on the CSS spindles. (I have a pair sitting in the garage) The taper and bolt is an M14. The GTI and CSS spindles are a M12 size bolt.

I placed an order yesterday for 8J0423811 and 8J0423812 which seem to be the M12 size (according to the corresponding nut dimensions)

The 8S inner tie rods appear to be the same, those are on the car now awaiting the correct outer tie rods.

I also tried the extenders, they seemed to be too long to use with the GTI parts (inner and outer tie rods) and too short to use with the TT inner/GTI outer. Which is fine, I wasn't dead set on using them anyway. I'm trying to go for a pseudo OEM+ setup.

More parts set to arrive Thursday. Sigh.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Actually. Those 8S outer tie rods will not work on the CSS spindles. (I have a pair sitting in the garage) The taper and bolt is an M14. The GTI and CSS spindles are a M12 size bolt.

I placed an order yesterday for 8J0423811 and 8J0423812 which seem to be the M12 size (according to the corresponding nut dimensions)

The 8S inner tie rods appear to be the same, those are on the car now awaiting the correct outer tie rods.

I also tried the extenders, they seemed to be too long to use with the GTI parts (inner and outer tie rods) and too short to use with the TT inner/GTI outer. Which is fine, I wasn't dead set on using them anyway. I'm trying to go for a pseudo OEM+ setup.

More parts set to arrive Thursday. Sigh.

Good timing - can still cancel my order. Any idea if swapping the inner tie rods is necessary at all? Looks like TT outer tie rods are quite a bit longer than the mk7 ones. Maybe that alone is enough?

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
In my case I think the GTI inners are too long for the TT outers. Not sure what the inners are like on the S3. I'm going on the assumption since the TT uses the adjustable lower ball joints the TT inner and outer tie rods are made to accommodate the additional change in track width.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Looks like same deal on the S3. Looking at photos online I can't tell the difference between 8J and 8S inners, will compare when they arrive.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Got all my parts in - 8J inners are 1.5cm longer than 8S inners, otherwise look identical.

Not sure which I'll go with but will pull off stock tie rods and measure original + target adjustment ranges for the TT LCAs + choose accordingly. Guess is 8J.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
I’m using the original Audi ball joints with CSS spindles. No noises or issues at all.

where in the adjustment range do you have your ball joints set? moving mine to the outermost position (widest) leaves me without enough tie rod threads to run safely.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Minimum setting. Which gives me -3.3deg already

Each side or total? Do you have stock top mounts?

I've done the same. Installed new balljoints at min setting and in the correct orientation this time. Interference/clunks mostly gone. Decided didn't want to mess with TT tie rods and more track width after all as worried would end up rubbing (17x9 245). Maybe a winter project...

Car off to alignment!

Attachments

• FA1080B9-DA94-4212-8F1B-3C5802F20FD0.jpeg
    FA1080B9-DA94-4212-8F1B-3C5802F20FD0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 121

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Each side or total? Do you have stock top mounts?

I've done the same. Installed new balljoints at min setting and in the correct orientation this time. Interference/clunks mostly gone. Decided didn't want to mess with TT tie rods and more track width after all as worried would end up rubbing (17x9 245). Maybe a winter project...

Car off to alignment!
Each side. I have CSS spindles, alu subframe and Whiteline strut tops.

I’m still keen to find a tie rod solution in case I need to run more neg camber on track. Which is likely. So keen to see what combination works from OEM parts without needing to get the Hard Racing ones.

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
I’m still keen to find a tie rod solution in case I need to run more neg camber on track. Which is likely. So keen to see what combination works from OEM parts without needing to get the Hard Racing ones.
I'm still on my journey to answer this.

I have the Eurologic Tie Rod Extenders but they were too long with the OE GTI inner tie rods and I thought they were too short with the Audi TT inner tie rods. If we can find a tie rod that is in the middle it should work with a GTI outer tie rod and the extension. Might be worth a call to ECS or FCP to see if they'd help with research.

I've found the 8J TT outer tie rods, despite being the same thread pitch as the GTI outer tie rod, are still a bit larger in the taper and don't seat the way I'd like in the CSS spindles. But the TT inner and outer are the perfect length and have a lot of range of adjustability.

I have managed to secure the cheapest set of TT spindles on fleabay. I'm planning to press out the taper insert of the TT and swap them into the CSS spindle. And most likely measure them and see how much it would cost to reproduce the insert.