GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B14 knocking after install

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
It’s definitely right from what I believe unless someone can tell me. There is only 1 cut out on the bearing and the notch sits in it.

ive just wound down the spring to the bottom and if I rotate the bearing 180 the bearing doesn’t sit right. So that can only be the position.
also the spring wouldn’t sit right after that would it.
If I pop the bearing out this is how it looks. It’s just a shadow you saw ( about the tab tab notch notch. Deceiving I know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
Actually that does look correct, how did you seat the front strut shaft nut? Impact? Or strut wrench?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
That should be flush.

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
This. It needs to be fully seated. That's where the knocking is coming from. Try putting your stock components together and you'll see the difference.
It is flush, if you read the comments I’ve said I’ve wound down the spring so it gives me enough room to turn the bearing round 180 degrees as someone suggested, without taking the top mount completely off. Trust me it’s flush.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It is flush, if you read the comments I’ve said I’ve wound down the spring so it gives me enough room to turn the bearing round 180 degrees as someone suggested, without taking the top mount completely off. Trust me it’s flush.
Who reads anymore….

I recently was dealing with some coilover that were quite noisy and it was due to spring coils contacting each other a lot, the spring rate was too low and so I had it threaded up very high like you have yours now. So when you add the preload with the cars load the springs were considerable compressed and the slighted compression from the road would make them tap.

Judging by how much of that spring comes with silencers already installed I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s know that they often touch but for the sake of confront they stuck with that rate.

When you took the car off jack, about many inches of compression did you have from full droop?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Just for the sake of thinking out loud of something to look at, how’s your front negative camber? It doesn’t seem like you’re running a bunch, but is it possible the springs are hitting the fender well under compression?

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Just for the sake of thinking out loud of something to look at, how’s your front negative camber? It doesn’t seem like you’re running a bunch, but is it possible the springs are hitting the fender well under compression?
I’ve checked for impact marks and I cannot see anything. It’s running as close to stock height as possible.

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Who reads anymore….

I recently was dealing with some coilover that were quite noisy and it was due to spring coils contacting each other a lot, the spring rate was too low and so I had it threaded up very high like you have yours now. So when you add the preload with the cars load the springs were considerable compressed and the slighted compression from the road would make them tap.

Judging by how much of that spring comes with silencers already installed I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s know that they often touch but for the sake of confront they stuck with that rate.

When you took the car off jack, about many inches of compression did you have from full droop?
I’ll have to measure this later.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
When exactly are you getting knocks? large compression? small compression? lateral load with no compression? on/off throttle?

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
When exactly are you getting knocks? large compression? small compression? lateral load with no compression? on/off throttle?
Its all fine under normal driving even uneven road, on and off throttle is fine too. It’s as I’m going up a speed bump so under compression I guess. I’m running the b14 at OEM stock height.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
does it feel like a clunk, squeak, or rattle? also, how much preload are you applying to the springs?