GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B14 knocking after install

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Hi all I hope you could all help me out here as I’m out of ideas.
I’ve purchased some new Bilstein B14 coilovers along with many other new parts poly bushes, deadset kit ect.
the only parts I’ve installed is the B14 coilovers with new Febi top mounts and bearings and meyle Heavy duty drop links and new hardware.
After installing coilovers and setting them at STOCK HEIGHT I went for a drive and was getting knocks everywhere I’ve narrowed one down which was the adjustable rear O/S drop link coming in to contact with the spring over bumps.
I was getting both front top mounts felt like they were knocking.
and maybe I have a rear top mount on its way out due to the stiffer shocks.
Now I know what your all going to say. Torque the bolts correctly. In which I did twice, after removing the coilovers I cannot see a problem. Now it’s either 2 things, 1, The coilovers are knocking which I feel like with a quality part I doubt it or the febi top mounts are defective but can’t see how as they was taken apart and put back together twice correctly with new hardware twice and all torqued to spec as I am OCD over this.

I have a few questions,
Are the top mounts too soft for the stiffer shocks and are making contact with the strut tower?
do I need the uprated ECS tuning ones?
has anyone ever had any of these issues?

I’ve now returned the car to stock suspension with stock shocks, springs, and top mounts, reused the second lot of hard ware and what do you know, no noises what so ever. Something is definitely wrong.
Sorry for the life story there was a lot to tell.
please help me😂
With quality parts I did not expect this.

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
I used all stock parts and have no knocking.🤷‍♂️
Exactly and load of people have had no issues either but this was ridiculous. All stock parts are fine as I’ve driven it today quite a lot and it’s 100%.
Are the b14’s designed to be ran at stock height? I know it’s stupid but my reasoning was to improve the nose dive under braking and squirming under braking also, they rode really good apart from the knocking over bumps.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
You have them cranked all the way up? When you do that...it really limits the amount of travel the strut has? I've never had mine all the way up.

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
I wouldn’t say cranked all the way up I’d say there is around 10-12mm of thread left to the nearest spring seat I’ll attach a pic when I get home.
Surly these are designed to be ran anywhere on the threads at any height right?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
There should be a range where they work best. It shouldn't be knocking at any ride height. Have you tried using the stock parts if they aren't too worn? I got mine at 880 miles so I reused all my mounts and hardware. 23k later and no issues.

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
There should be a range where they work best. It shouldn't be knocking at any ride height. Have you tried using the stock parts if they aren't too worn? I got mine at 880 miles so I reused all my mounts and hardware. 23k later and no issues.
I’ve put the stock parts back on and it’s perfect. I have not used the stock top mounts as I bought new febi bilstein mounts. Now I know never to rule out new parts being defective so could the new top mounts be the problem. I didn’t swap the mounts over OEM to b14s as everything had been removed circa 3 times and got fed up.

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
Rears are seated correctly in the arm right? Like clocked correctly so they sit against the little nub? Are the nuts holding the mount to the shock shaft all the way tight?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Please see Bilstein‘s document to adjust the correct ride height.

Attachments

• E7F64CC2-79E6-4FA0-B043-3DB74D7C3E09.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 160

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Rears are seated correctly in the arm right? Like clocked correctly so they sit against the little nub? Are the nuts holding the mount to the shock shaft all the way tight?
Yeah it’s mainly the front I have the knocking noises. I do have one slight one at the rear but I’m going to say that’s deffo a top mount but the fronts I couldn’t tell you.

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
I’ve added some pictures to show you how they are currently set.

Attachments

• C7D4884D-E1D2-41CD-8359-72A9F4DECB18.jpeg
    C7D4884D-E1D2-41CD-8359-72A9F4DECB18.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 151
  • 46077D20-0E30-4FBD-BE4D-907B07996D59.jpeg
    46077D20-0E30-4FBD-BE4D-907B07996D59.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • A419066A-C673-4E2F-96DE-967DD8890EB2.jpeg
    A419066A-C673-4E2F-96DE-967DD8890EB2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 252
  • F96E1472-E25F-41A0-9389-13FB223A6373.jpeg
    F96E1472-E25F-41A0-9389-13FB223A6373.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
  • 6E4A69D2-B792-46CB-AE3C-E4F005E55781.jpeg
    6E4A69D2-B792-46CB-AE3C-E4F005E55781.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 167

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
I think your strut bearings might be 180 out, the little notch should line up with the recess. Mine were Lemforder but I’d think it was the same.

edit:
yours look to be tab tab, notch notch
Should be notch tab, tab notch

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
I think your strut bearings might be 180 out, the little notch should line up with the recess. Mine were Lemforder but I’d think it was the same.

edit:
yours look to be tab tab, notch notch
Should be notch tab, tab notch
It’s definitely right from what I believe unless someone can tell me. There is only 1 cut out on the bearing and the notch sits in it.

ive just wound down the spring to the bottom and if I rotate the bearing 180 the bearing doesn’t sit right. So that can only be the position.
also the spring wouldn’t sit right after that would it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
Last edited: