GOLFMKV

Bilstein B14 knocking after install

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

bfury5

Autocross Champion
My question (re: preload) was more geared towards "do we think the spring is rattling free when uncompressed" which sounds like a no. Could also be bind as previously mentioned. Double triple check sway bar end links - I've had front AND rear rattle even when torqued properly. I took to over-tightening them

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
My question (re: preload) was more geared towards "do we think the spring is rattling free when uncompressed" which sounds like a no. Could also be bind as previously mentioned. Double triple check sway bar end links - I've had front AND rear rattle even when torqued properly. I took to over-tightening them
One of his responses mix in, He did note that he did the sway bar endlink test already - removed/unbolted and took for a drive.

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
No I doubt it’s the spring becoming uncompressed. And no it’s deffo not links I removed them completely and ran without them.

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
Let’s work backwards here. With stock stuff was fine when it went back on so the install is probably fine, so it has to have something to do with the assembly of the strut assy itself.

The washers that came with the coils are on top of the strut mount right? Dumb question but need to eliminate stuff. (Nut/washer/strut mount/strut bearing/blue spring pad/adj nuts)

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Y
Let’s work backwards here. With stock stuff was fine when it went back on so the install is probably fine, so it has to have something to do with the assembly of the strut assy itself.

The washers that came with the coils are on top of the strut mount right? Dumb question but need to eliminate stuff. (Nut/washer/strut mount/strut bearing/blue spring pad/adj nuts)
Yeah was perfect when the OEM stuff back on. Yeah the top mount was aligned and put on and then washer and then nut and then torqued. The mounts I use are febi bilstein ones and they have been re inspected and nothing seem wrong. I’d hate to think it’s the strut assembly itself.

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4Mo
So to troubleshoot using the parts you already have on hand I'd first try lowering the ride height to test the "coil bind theory" from your current stock ride height setting. If it still knocks then the second thing I'd try would be swapping the mounts and bearings from your factory struts over to the B14s and see if that cures it.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
My situation of said theory was quite extreme considering this is how it looks just sitting still with the cars weight on it.

6BFD0C6C-9412-454C-A939-8A772700C71F.jpeg
D4DDD342-A393-4023-9251-822FE5454891.jpeg

But considering how close these coils are BEFORE the cars front end load is on them I really don’t see it being to far fetched that they could be collapsing/touching with weight and driving impacts.

0F9A2A61-47E8-4B7E-94A0-69ABF07D273A.jpeg

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
My situation of said theory was quite extreme considering this is how it looks just sitting still with the cars weight on it.

View attachment 243950View attachment 243951

But considering how close these coils are BEFORE the cars front end load is on them I really don’t see it being to far fetched that they could be collapsing/touching with weight and driving impacts.

View attachment 243952
Yeah I get what you are saying I will try this at some point when I have some time again to strip it all down . I have also email Bilstein and told them if there’s anything I’m doing wrong, maybe you cannot run the B14 at stock being like I have them set, or maybe they seem deductive and they know something I don’t.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
B14's aren't designed to be adjusted to any ride height. The min lowering is 15mm, max 35mm according to Bilstein.

1648391174935.png

How do you adjust them? According to your GAWR you have an adjustment range. My '17 GTI SE has GAWR Front 2315lbs = 1050kg and Rear 2094lbs = 950kg. The adjustment range is Front 230-245mm, Rear 40-75mm.
1648391760343.png

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R

GolfRchris

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R
Yes I did see this in the manual but I do t under stand where it’s measured too and from the (230-245mm) if someone can show me that would be great.
B14's aren't designed to be adjusted to any ride height. The min lowering is 15mm, max 35mm according to Bilstein.

View attachment 244025
How do you adjust them? According to your GAWR you have an adjustment range. My '17 GTI SE has GAWR Front 2315lbs = 1050kg and Rear 2094lbs = 950kg. The adjustment range is Front 230-245mm, Rear 40-75mm.
View attachment 244026

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yes I did see this in the manual but I do t under stand where it’s measured too and from the (230-245mm) if someone can show me that would be great.
Middle of strut clamp bolt to top of ride height adjuster
1648397502491.png

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Do

you get any knocking noises or contact or the springs?
On those coils in the picture - yes, very much you can see where the paint was coming off, it was really bad in my case as even tuning the wheel you could Hear them binding.

Prior to this when I first installed them there were coiled down also, I didn’t have any sounds but the front was too low and had tire clearance issues. I ended up only running them for like 1500 miles till I swapped to 10k spring rate coilover setup. (Heavier mqb vehicle)