GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Real talk. Who cares about the car itself... I'm about to abandon this build thread while on the threshold of greatness...

View attachment 235599

View attachment 235600

About 130 posts away from having the longest build thread on the MK7 forums!!!
Yeah but the majority of your build thread (99.99999999999999%) is anything and everything besides a build thread.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah but the majority of your build thread (99.99999999999999%) is anything and everything besides a build thread.

Really, it's like the majority of my life. 99% of it is off topic :ROFLMAO:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Let's go...

20220114_155044.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The test drive, that is.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know if "over" is the right word. Like, I love my car. Even if I trade it in, I'm considering getting a full mural of it tattoo'd on my back.

For me to back down from a FBO Vortex GTI I love, it would have to be to something that offers 100% peace of mind. Even if I put my IS20 back on, I know myself. "What if there was any residual issues hanging around?"

And I'm not even sure there is an issue to fix. Ed's definition of traction and just the environment in general line up with what I'm seeing. It's hard to tell due to good logs being difficult to get.

Here's a partial 3rd gear log from the other day. As expected, nothing of concern.
Here's a partial 4th gear log from this morning. Again, as expected, nothing of concern.
Here's a partial 3rd gear log from this morning as well. Only part that is "off", is when I was loosing traction, even with TC off. And of course, you start to loose traction, car is going to turn down boost, and the wastegate will open to do that. Boost started to come down, but 1/3rd a second later, car regained traction, wastegate closed a bit, and everything went back to normal. That seems like pretty expected behavior.

"Well dumbass, if you're coming to the conclusion that there isn't an issue, why do you still want to get rid of the car?"

Because even if I come to the conclusion what I'm seeing is normal, I'm the kind of person who will still have the "But what if it's not normal, and something is actually wrong?" thought in the back of my head. Which is what I don't want.

After going through all the stages on my GTI... Stock. Then a JB4 to start. Then stage 1. Then stage 2 with a downpipe. Then FBO Vortex... The only real pit stops I'm missing are an IS38 in between the stage 2 and Vortex, or going to a full built engine and big turbo after the Vortex... This might be heresy to say around here, but I don't think the incremental power differences are worth it. Going from stock to JB4 was a pretty decent sized bump. Then going to stage 1 was a small bump. Then stage 2 was a small bump. Then of course the Vortex is another big bump. Tuning the car is fantastic if you like tinkering and modifying your car. Which I did with the GTI. But in terms of actual performance gains, I don't think going above a JB4 is worth the minimal, but potential, risks to the car (this mostly speaks to one where you still have a warranty in tact), unless you're going right to the end with a turbo swap. Go big or go home.
You can have problems at any level you choose. Just have to set a level and live with it.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The interior looks like a cross between a mk7.5 and a mk8.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R