GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

400whp E85 GTI Roll Racing

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Doesn't anybody race from a dig these days?
Why would anyone choose to dig race a FWD car? It’s literally basic physics that it’s not good in FWD platform. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Like another member posted, roll races show the true power a car has compared to another car. There’s less skill involved in a roll race, so I get that to some, racing from a dig might show how skilled of a driver a driver is nowadays, but TBH, with all these automatic drivers nowadays, how much skill is really involved in a dig race? Not much. Plus, dig racing is a lot more strenuous on the car. Whether automatic or manual, the transmission, suspension parts, diff, etc, is all stressed a lot more, which means things will break more often, and to me, just to “prove” I’m a better driver than the other guy isn’t worth it. Nobody is making money off the race, so why???

Last edited:

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Track is ideal but if you have a local spot that is long enough to race from a dig, then why not?

I don't have any issues especially now with the R888R tires. People need to get over the mindset of FWD cars are not able to race from a dig. There are pros that do it with Civics that are tin cans running 8's in the 1/4 mile. Yes, I know, that is a prepped track and different from the street. I was just using that as an example. You just need the supporting suspension mods, sticky tires, and the correct tune.
Okay, so if you KNOW that’s a bad example, then go find a good example and share it with us.

Comparing times of track prepped drag cars to street cars is one of the most illiterate arguments a car enthusiast can make.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Why would anyone choose to dig race a FWD car? It’s literally basic physics that it’s not good in FWD platform. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
A good bit of tq reduction in first gear and some in second will guarantee a clean launch. Good tires help too.

I personally prefer going out of the hole too.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Okay, so if you KNOW that’s a bad example, then go find a good example and share it with us.

Comparing times of track prepped drag cars to street cars is one of the most illiterate arguments a car enthusiast can make.
Nothing exotic goes towards making a 10 second civic run 10’s. Mounts, lifting the rear some so the front has more weight, tires and a k24 with an lsd tranny.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

It's a fucking example proving that with the right mods, you can race a fwd car. The same applies to racing on the street so how's that illiterate? Do you even know what illiterate means?

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
It's a fucking example proving that with the right mods, you can race a fwd car. The same applies to racing on the street so how's that illiterate? Do you even know what illiterate means?
Yes. Your lack of WRITING an example shows your writing illiterate capabilities. You still haven’t given an example of a FWD street car being able to race well from a dig though. Do you know what an example is? You have an example of a non-street car. Still waiting...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yes. Your lack of WRITING an example shows your writing illiterate capabilities. You still haven’t given an example of a FWD street car being able to race well from a dig though. Do you know what an example is? You have an example of a non-street car. Still waiting...
Respectfully

I had an ion redline. It was a super charged (Eaton m62 blower) fwd car. Because of the massive amount of instant boost. The car could not be launched

but on hp tuners I was able to set boost by gear and by rpm range. Bleeding a bunch of boost in first. Then bleeding some in second. It made the car easy to launch with very repeatable 60ft times at moroso in palm beach.

it’s possible. Sometimes it’s takes a little meddling. Sometimes it takes more intervention. But it can be done. Seen it and done it.

the ion redline, and by proxy the cobalt ss (both super charged and the later turbo one) owe their ability to successfully launch thanks to hptuners

on my GTI with the pilot sport 4s’s. I can tell that apr went the same route. Or maybe it’s a combination of that and my elevation. But I can launch just fine too. I dunno. Maybe the dcc shocks are doing something so I can’t feel much hop?

but yeah man. Totally possible. With very little fuckery. Won’t launch as great as a 1/4 mile prepped fwd race car. But launching well enough is very possible.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Respectfully

I had an ion redline. It was a super charged (Eaton m62 blower) fwd car. Because of the massive amount of instant boost. The car could not be launched

but on hp tuners I was able to set boost by gear and by rpm range. Bleeding a bunch of boost in first. Then bleeding some in second. It made the car easy to launch with very repeatable 60ft times at moroso in palm beach.

it’s possible. Sometimes it’s takes a little meddling. Sometimes it takes more intervention. But it can be done. Seen it and done it.

the ion redline, and by proxy the cobalt ss (both super charged and the later turbo one) owe their ability to successfully launch thanks to hptuners

on my GTI with the pilot sport 4s’s. I can tell that apr went the same route. Or maybe it’s a combination of that and my elevation. But I can launch just fine too. I dunno. Maybe the dcc shocks are doing something so I can’t feel much hop?

but yeah man. Totally possible. With very little fuckery. Won’t launch as great as a 1/4 mile prepped fwd race car. But launching well enough is very possible.
I understand where you’re coming from. My 6spd GTI is also boost by gear, and it is better from a launch now than when it wasn’t custom tuned boost by gear. I understand that it can be done, but the other dude is writing like it’s no big deal to dig race a FWD street driven car. Can it be done, yes. Still though, it’s not that great compared to a RWD car, let alone an AWD car.

My stock E46 M3 6spd manual would eat my much faster IS38 FWD GTI alive from a dig, no matter how well I get off the line in my GTI. RWD is just better. The M3 is a lot easier to launch. It’s simple physics.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I understand where you’re coming from. My 6spd GTI is also boost by gear, and it is better from a launch now than when I wasn’t custom tuned boost by gear. I understand that it can be done, but the other dude is writing like it’s no big deal to dig race a FWD street driven car. Can it be done, yes. Still though, it’s not that great compared to a RWD car, let alone an AWD car.

My stock E46 M3 6spd manual would eat my much faster IS38 FWD GTI alive from a dig, no matter how well I get off the line in my GTI. RWD is just better. The M3 is a lot easier to launch. It’s simple physics.
Skill helps and goes hand in hand with one’s familiarity with the car

but yeah a daily driven fwd shouldn’t out launch a daily awd or rwd car

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Skill helps and goes hand in hand with one’s familiarity with the car

but yeah a daily driven fwd shouldn’t out launch a daily awd or rwd car
For sure. With a manual car, skill is pretty important. With DSG, very little skill is needed.

TBH, given how crappy aftermarket clutches are for the GTI (I’m on my third now), that sole reason is enough for me not to want to dig race. I don’t have a ton of $$ (if I did a GTI would not be in my car lineup), so doing things I know will wear the clutch down significantly, like dig racing a FWD car, isn’t something I personally want to do. That’s just me. If I had DSG, I probably would dig race occasionally, but I wouldn’t try to make an argument saying my FWD GTI is a good dig racing vehicle...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
For sure. With a manual car, skill is pretty important. With DSG, very little skill is needed.

TBH, given how crappy aftermarket clutches are for the GTI (I’m on my third now), that sole reason is enough for me not to want to dig race. I don’t have a ton of $$ (if I did a GTI would not be in my car lineup), so doing things I know will wear the clutch down significantly, like dig racing a FWD car, isn’t something I personally want to do. That’s just me. If I had DSG, I probably would dig race occasionally, but I wouldn’t try to make an argument saying my FWD GTI is a good dig racing vehicle...
Wow. Didn’t think aftermarket options for the GTI clutches were that bad. Damn

I can out launch other fwd cars fine at least 😂

my brother in laws type r has the most aggressive boost by gear I’ve ever seen in a fwd car. Everything in the universe out launches it. One day he’ll remind me to grab the hondata cable and fix that