GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At what point do the rattles emerge?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just about to hit 60k. No rattles or any such, but I did go pretty nuts with the sound deadening. It's pretty solid and quiet sounding now.
Would you say it's worth doing the front doors? I have some noico left over from when I did the hatch and rear seats but been wondering if it would be worth it to do the doors

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I get a rattle at low rpms if I accelerate a certain way on some days. It's the plastic covers by the rear view mirror and the ACC sensors. I could probably fix it pretty easy by just shoving a folded up piece of vinyl in there, but it hasn't driven me crazy enough yet.

That's how I used to experience the rat on the 6. Was mostly during acceleration and that I could really tell, merging onto the highway. Once I got it to a coasting speed it typically went away. It may actually have always been around the same RPM but I never paid enough attention to that. Considering the acceleration was always the same pattern, it probably was.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I have just under 20k miles on my 2017. Only thing I've noticed is the creaking window seals when its cold...and a super random faint knocking sound from the bottom of the car. It only hear it when I switch off the car. It's been awhile since I heard it.

I remember a couple years ago coming back from Vegas. My GF wanted to go to some bottle farm off Route 66. There was a section of road that was incredibly rough. Car felt super solid over the choppy road at 70mph. My GTI is lowered too.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I get a rattle at low rpms if I accelerate a certain way on some days. It's the plastic covers by the rear view mirror and the ACC sensors. I could probably fix it pretty easy by just shoving a folded up piece of vinyl in there, but it hasn't driven me crazy enough yet.
Don't accelerate a certain way on some days. 🤣

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Would you say it's worth doing the front doors? I have some noico left over from when I did the hatch and rear seats but been wondering if it would be worth it to do the doors
It's worth it, at least for the inner metal shell. I did the inner skins inside the access hole with just butyl mat, then almost the entire outer side under the door card with mat stacked with foam on all 4 doors. Like I said, I went kind of nuts. Still never ran out of mat or foam.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It's worth it, at least for the inner metal shell. I did the inner skins inside the access hole with just butyl mat, then almost the entire outer side under the door card with mat stacked with foam on all 4 doors. Like I said, I went kind of nuts. Still never ran out of mat or foam.
Yeah I did all the doors with butyl foil on the inner and outer panels (partial) for stereo resonance purposes but now I still need to do an barrier and foam layer, cause my cars are crazy rattle trap lately. The new DP got the car droning like crazy and that’s adding to the vibrations when it hits... also have a hybrid powerflex lower dog bone mount coming in this week so hopefully swapping the the spulen extreme insert with this one will help some cause engine vibs are transmitting to the car a lot.

Cars unpleasant to drive normal cause of it, lol - so I find myself romping on it just on the daily commute cause that part still puts a big ol grin on me and I forget the Vibrations and noise 😂

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Yeah I did all the doors with butyl foil on the inner and outer panels (partial) for stereo resonance purposes but now I still need to do an barrier and foam layer, cause my cars are crazy rattle trap lately. The new DP got the car droning like crazy and that’s adding to the vibrations when it hits... also have a hybrid powerflex lower dog bone mount coming in this week so hopefully swapping the the spulen extreme insert with this one will help some cause engine vibs are transmitting to the car a lot.

Cars unpleasant to drive normal cause of it, lol - so I find myself romping on it just on the daily commute cause that part still puts a big ol grin on me and I forget the Vibrations and noise 😂
I'll be interested in knowing how you like the powerflex vs the spulen since it appears to be the same design as the bfi

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
How much of a pain is it to take of the door panels?
It's not bad, just need a panel removal tool, a torx bit (i forget the size), and a 10mm wrench for the plastic 'lock' thing at the bottom that you turn 90degrees. The hardest part is holding the door up and disconnecting/reconnecting the connectors but that only takes a minute

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Thank you. come spring time I'll most likely look to add some sound deadening to the doors.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Are you going to add a resonator? I didn't get any drone from the same DP.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Are you going to add a resonator? I didn't get any drone from the same DP.
I have a resonator same vibrant everyone uses. I’m much more sensitive to drone I’m sure also... and my rear section with the Y splitting into dual mufflers design could add to it. As well as my exhaust tips not protruding far past the bumper, lots of factory could be at play.

I also plan to fab up a Helmholtz 1/4 wave at some point as well.

The idea of “no” drone is subjective... if you run as frequency analyzer in the car I’m sure it will pickup and resonance peak and frequency range.

You probably losing your hearing some, lol cause if I recall you don’t even have a muffler in the back and you still don’t find it loud, lol.

My car being catless now / with the res. / and dual mufflers is a “very loud 4 banger” for me 😂

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a resonator same vibrant everyone uses. I’m much more sensitive to drone I’m sure also... and my rear section with the Y splitting into dual mufflers design could add to it. As well as my exhaust tips not protruding far past the bumper, lots of factory could be at play.

I also plan to fab up a Helmholtz 1/4 wave at some point as well.

The idea of “no” drone is subjective... if you run as frequency analyzer in the car I’m sure it will pickup and resonance peak and frequency range.

You probably losing your hearing some, lol cause if I recall you don’t even have a muffler in the back and you still don’t find it loud, lol.

My car being catless now / with the res. / and dual mufflers is a “very loud 4 banger” for me 😂
I have a muffler now. When I originally installed the Invidia catless DP I had drone from 2-3000 RPM through every gear. Added a Vibrant resonator and no drone at all and that didn't change with the Trackslag DP.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I thought I had rattle that emerged around 1,000 miles... really intermittent and lasted until around 15,000. At which point my sister was back in town and grabbed her cheap sunglasses out of the overhead storage compartment 🤦‍♂️. My wife and I both wear prescription glasses so had never opened the thing. Not once did it dawn on me to check and the rattle was so random that I couldn't pinpoint a location.