GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At what point do the rattles emerge?

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Thus far at 26k miles, 2017, there are no rattles. I bought the car in presumably a stock form. I haven't found 1 thing that indicates the previous owner did anything after market. I want to say that after sticking a DP in my mk6 GTI at around 33k miles, the rattles began soon after and never went away. Even despite changing up the pipe configuration a few times. It's like, that caused something to get loose and that was it. Perhaps the vibrations do shake some parts apart and thus begins the rattle.

Has anyone else somehow maintained their car stock up to lets say 50k miles and still no rattle? I honestly don't think anyone on this forum is probably stock up to 50k but just thought I'd ask. Wondering how far I can go w/o trying to add a DP considering the power gains of stg1 for this car.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
My wife's '17 Golf has just over 40K Miles, is stock and it remains rattle free.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This is more of a hit or miss thing. 2015 here and I bought the car used with a bit less than 8k miles on it. I noticed a rattle on the ride home from the dealer. It ended up being an easy fix (small plastic cover/door in the armrest, well documented here). I still have a slight buzz from my A-pillars, but have been too lazy to follow @ReadTheBook DIY on fixing those. Those are the only two I've ever had, which isn't nearly as bad as my MKV was. Currently at about 47k and the car is 5-ish going on 6 years old.

Edit: I did introduce some more vibration recently with the BFI stage 1 dogbone insert, so we will see if I introduce any more rattles soon haha.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I have a rattle in my drivers side door when I listen to rap music and the bass hits. It's annoying.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I had a strong rattle after installing my full exhaust system, however it only would come on after driving aggressively. I believe the exhaust system shifts due to a shitty clamp when accelerating. Did some repairs and hasn't happened again, yet.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The only major rattle I had was after installing the turboback exhaust, which was fixed by removing the trap-door in the bottom of the sliding armrest.

The other smaller rattle happens when the driver sunvisor is in its home position and the vanity light and mirror are vibrating on each other - fixed by flipping the garage clicker to the other side so the two plastic pieces not resting on each other

The sunroof hasn't been a problem, but I think that's more of an issue in colder climates

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Around 60k miles is when they really started. That was about when I installed all new stage 2 motor/trans mounts, a PowerFlex hybrid insert, and went hybrid turbo. I attribute most of it to that. At this point ~80k miles I just turn the music up enough to ignore it. I used to chase every one but the damn thing makes some sort of new squeak or rattle every day and I’m over it.

thrillho

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE DSG
I have a rattle in my drivers side door when I listen to rap music and the bass hits. It's annoying.
Mine is the passenger rear door when there's bass. Super annoying. I've had the sunroof rattle and the armrest rattle as well. 27k stock.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
On my GTI had them in the driver door, driver lower B pillar, and of course from the door speakers during heavy bass.

Seem to have similar rattles in my A3, not quite as prominent as the GTI though. Starting to think its just the platform... Or maybe I'm just over-sensitive... Both started almost immediately from new.

Last edited:

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
lol, I'm not sure if the rattles with bass is meant to be funny or serious.

Let's take music out of the equation. Like you're just cruising, music off and you got this loud arse rattle that sounds like the old soundaktor pipe is enabled from all panels of your car.

I remember mine in the mk6 was ear piercing loud but only throughout a certain RPM range and then went away. It was like during acceleration perhaps on to the highway and then when I'd put it in 6th to cruise, it was completely gone. It was bonkers though. Traded in car eventually for the 7 without discovering what the cause was. I couldn't really pin point exactly where it was coming from either other than perhaps right below front passenger seat area.