GOLFMKV

At what point do the rattles emerge?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
2020 with a bit over 2900 miles. Or maybe 3k

no rattles

my wife’s 2020 GLI with about 5k miles absolutely has a rattle on the passengers side. It’s sounding like when u leave a pen in the door pocket and it vibrates. It will rarely rattle but when it does it stops by the time u get to 15mph. Then it won’t do it for the rest of the day.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT

no rattles

my wife’s 2020 GLI with about 5k miles absolutely has a rattle on the passengers side. It’s sounding like when u leave a pen in the door pocket and it vibrates. It will rarely rattle but when it does it stops by the time u get to 15mph. Then it won’t do it for the rest of the day.

Interesting, I thought it was mostly a hatch thing. So the sedans do it also? I mean, I guess the question is, why not? Well, I've never been in any other car in my life with a rattle besides my Mk6 GTI, lol. I thought it was a hatch, maybe VW hatch thing... I did own a Toyota Matrix many a years ago, and it was hatchish, zero rattles at 116k miles.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
One man's rattles are another's silence. My wife can't hear the rattles in her car or mine, but mine rattles from every rubber seal and hers rattles from all the crap she leaves in it. Still 10000x more silent than a subaru.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Interesting, I thought it was mostly a hatch thing. So the sedans do it also? I mean, I guess the question is, why not? Well, I've never been in any other car in my life with a rattle besides my Mk6 GTI, lol. I thought it was a hatch, maybe VW hatch thing... I did own a Toyota Matrix many a years ago, and it was hatchish, zero rattles at 116k miles.
I come from Subaru’s and domestics. It’s not a big deal for me LOL.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI

no rattles

Fuel/brake lines rattle. The dealer can fix it or you can probably fix it with some zip ties.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Mk5 Rabbit - 79K kms
Mk7 GTI - 46k kms
Mk7 R - 26k kms

Not one has rattled. The GTI was S2 after 10K and the R went S2 in August 2020.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I had a Toyota Matrix also and drove it for 300,000 miles then sold it to a friend who drove it until 450,000 miles until it was totaled by a red light runner. Original motor but the manual trans was rebuilt.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
~41k miles 30k of which on coilovers and stage 2 engine mounts.

Still no rattles.

Wish I could say the same about my '94 Miata, but I knew what I was getting into with that one lol.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I had a Toyota Matrix also and drove it for 300,000 miles then sold it to a friend who drove it until 450,000 miles until it was totaled by a red light runner. Original motor but the manual trans was rebuilt.

You can't kill a Toyota. My mother drove her 70s era Toyota Celica from California to NJ during the 70s with practically no oil and it survived. She took it to the mechanic and he had no idea how the engine didn't seize up. Filled the oil right back up and off she went, lol.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
almost on the dot at 1k mile my sunroof started to rattle :sneaky: