GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

Leozyo

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI
The flaps aren't there though as far as the unit is concerned.. it's missing 5 or so flaps/sensors.

It's important to note that this retrofit has never been labelled as being in perfect working order. There's lots of things that don't work properly as a result of tricking the system, but as far as I'm concerned it's a fair trade off for automatic temperature regulation.

Yes i realize theres alot of flaps missing, but not those particular ones right? As the manual unit has that mode it should have the flaps to turn both windshield and footwell on right?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The flaps aren't there though as far as the unit is concerned.. it's missing 5 or so flaps/sensors.

It's important to note that this retrofit has never been labelled as being in perfect working order. There's lots of things that don't work properly as a result of tricking the system, but as far as I'm concerned it's a fair trade off for automatic temperature regulation.

I absolutely agree about the sentiment. It's a half baked retrofit (just meaning we're not installing all the sensors, ducting, servos, etc.), so some compromises are to be expected.

It would just be nice to have them as documented as possible up front so people have less unexpected surprises. I don't mean that directed at you since I know this isn't even your DIY guide, but just in general. My retrofit was far more for form than function, but would have been nice to know up front

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yes i realize theres alot of flaps missing, but not those particular ones right? As the manual unit has that mode it should have the flaps to turn both windshield and footwell on right?
Not really, no. The panel is confused.

It's akin to having someone rip your brain out and transplant it into another body but the eyes and nose are missing, and you only have one ear.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

It does, but I assume they're different in the dash. Cars with manual control might have one duct and two motors/vent flaps for example. So that's what the manual control module works with to send air to the windshield/footwell. The dual zone might have three ducts, and five motor/vent flaps to accomplish the same thing.

Since the automatic unit is programmed to work with more components, it doesn't know how to adjust it for the more basic setup.

That's at least the way I'm understanding what's going on.

Leozyo

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI
Not really, no. The panel is confused.

It's akin to having someone rip your brain out and transplant it into another body but the eyes and nose are missing, and you only have one ear.

Yes thats why i said it might be able to be fixed via programming/coding. But i gues you'll have to reprogram the panel itself instead of carcoding.

The panel should be programmed into something that works like the manual panel with the automatic climat regulation.

Mahby theres a software engineer among us :ROFLMAO:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yes thats why i said it might be able to be fixed via programming/coding. But i gues you'll have to reprogram the panel itself instead of carcoding.

The panel should be programmed into something that works like the manual panel with the automatic climat regulation.

Mahby theres a software engineer among us :ROFLMAO:
I'm a software engineer. That's not going to happen.

Leozyo

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI
I'm a software engineer. That's not going to happen.
Ah to bad, had a small bit off hope :p

I'm still doing the retrofit though. If id end up getting frozen feet and having to switch modes all the time... im not sure what i'll do, i might end up taking it out after a while. The faultcodes dont bother me one bit at all.

You live in the UK right? I imagine its cold and wet just like the netherlands. You never really have any problems having to switch between modes right?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Ah to bad, had a small bit off hope :p

I'm still doing the retrofit though. If id end up getting frozen feet and having to switch modes all the time... im not sure what i'll do, i might end up taking it out after a while. The faultcodes dont bother me one bit at all.

You live in the UK right? I imagine its cold and wet just like the netherlands. You never really have any problems having to switch between modes right?
I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the footwell vents.

If you heat the cabin up, your feet don't get cold. You don't need direct air on them.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Not understanding this discussion of getting only the foot vents to work. So is the issue that you cannot select footwell and upper vents?

I have a Climatronic 1 airbox which is non-dual zone. I have the auto controller 5G0907044 installed with harness and additional senor in passenger upper vent and drivers footwell. When I want my feet to get warm I select the button to direct air to feet. On my unit it comes out of auto, closes flaps to mids and windshield and all warm air is directed to footwell vent. There is no function for windshield and feet like in the manual controller. I do not believe this function is available for anyone that has this auto controller even with the dual airbox (climatronic 2 airbox) and all sensors. Therefore, I do not see this retrofit as being any more limiting as someone who has climatronic 2 airbox other than not having dual zone and a few failure codes.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So I have an 18 R, with the dual climate control knobs. Is this just a plug and play with slight coding for me? I "should" have all the sensors installed already correct?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have the knobs and want to swap to the captive.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I have an 18 R, with the dual climate control knobs. Is this just a plug and play with slight coding for me? I "should" have all the sensors installed already correct?

You wouldn't even need any coding. Just straight plug and play.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Here is what I have.

Attachments

• 20201227_135338.jpg
    20201227_135338.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 263