GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Had my Unitronic IC installed a few weeks ago at the same time as my IS38 on my 4Motion Sportwagen. Also did the Unitronic charge pipes/hoses. Here is a quick compilation of the data I have collected thus far and before. Yeah, they work. These are the data points from ~redline in a third gear pull starting at 2K rpm so max heat more or less. The car was not heat soaked for any of the runs.

View attachment 191094

Nice results!

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I did this one a while ago when a bit after I got my AMS installed https://datazap.me/u/jovian/eqt-e30-071820-2?log=0&data=6-8-15-20&zoom=1111-1736

It seems to work pretty well and the recovery once moving on it is impressive. I was stopped for a bit waiting to turn around after just doing a pull so IAT's were high but once I started my next pull they recovered and sustained well. It really is amazing how much better it seems any intertercooler will do over the stock one reguardless of type or location.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I have noticed the cars ambient air temp sensor reads quite high btw, around 4-5 degrees. When I'm staying ambient temp I am using the weather reading for location at the time of day from weather underground

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Isn't that likely just true ambient though?
Nah its definitely not true ambient. The sensor is in the bumper, it should be but its not accurate

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Isn't that likely just true ambient though?

Depends I guess. If "true ambient" means actual outside temperature then it was not very accurate most of the time. But if it means the temperature at the sensor than based on the location of the sensor I would still say it is wrong. It was just inside the front grill so any variance due to the heat put off by the motor should've been negated as soon as I started moving.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I did this one a while ago when a bit after I got my AMS installed https://datazap.me/u/jovian/eqt-e30-071820-2?log=0&data=6-8-15-20&zoom=1111-1736

It seems to work pretty well and the recovery once moving on it is impressive. I was stopped for a bit waiting to turn around after just doing a pull so IAT's were high but once I started my next pull they recovered and sustained well. It really is amazing how much better it seems any intertercooler will do over the stock one reguardless of type or location.

I'll be installing my AMS after Thanksgiving.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have noticed the cars ambient air temp sensor reads quite high btw, around 4-5 degrees. When I'm staying ambient temp I am using the weather reading for location at the time of day from weather underground

Mine's no more than about 1degC off regardless of time of year.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Had my Unitronic IC installed a few weeks ago at the same time as my IS38 on my 4Motion Sportwagen. Also did the Unitronic charge pipes/hoses. Here is a quick compilation of the data I have collected thus far and before. Yeah, they work. These are the data points from ~redline in a third gear pull starting at 2K rpm so max heat more or less. The car was not heat soaked for any of the runs.

View attachment 191094
That’s impressive

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Latest Baun IC log with JB4 on higher boost map 6

Ambient 42 - IAT 55

https://datazap.me/u/ianch/log-1604509767?log=0&data=1-4-6
is iat after the intercooler? i couldn't find any other values that would lead me to believe any other parameter was temps after the intercooler. JB4 equipped car logs are so weird. you can see where the ecu is being tricked to believe one thing while in reality the car is doing something totally different lol.