GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I did this one a while ago when a bit after I got my AMS installed https://datazap.me/u/jovian/eqt-e30-071820-2?log=0&data=6-8-15-20&zoom=1111-1736

It seems to work pretty well and the recovery once moving on it is impressive. I was stopped for a bit waiting to turn around after just doing a pull so IAT's were high but once I started my next pull they recovered and sustained well. It really is amazing how much better it seems any intertercooler will do over the stock one reguardless of type or location.
holy crap that's a lot of boost and timing! is this on e85? so iatf is after the intercooler then? if so your intercooler sheds heat real quick

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
is iat after the intercooler? i couldn't find any other values that would lead me to believe any other parameter was temps after the intercooler. JB4 equipped car logs are so weird. you can see where the ecu is being tricked to believe one thing while in reality the car is doing something totally different lol.
Map sensor on the intake manifold read IAT

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Map sensor on the intake manifold read IAT
So iat comes from the intake manifold. Dang, not a precise way to measure temps after the intercooler but at wot it shouldn’t really matter much

thanks for answering my question. I’m new to the platform.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So iat comes from the intake manifold. Dang, not a precise way to measure temps after the intercooler but at wot it shouldn’t really matter much

thanks for answering my question. I’m new to the platform.
Yeah someone tested the sensors accuracy with temp probs in various locations and it was not accurate.

It’s location is also why I ignore when people claims that massive heat soak from a open intake happens at idle... it’s reading temp from something within 5-6” of the cylinder head, and well cause I’ve ran 4 different intake setups on my car with 2 of them being open and 2 closed so I have actual first hand reference.

Also to be noted the IAT reading is molded and my tuner said that molding does get effected with turbo upgrades.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yeah someone tested the sensors accuracy with temp probs in various locations and it was not accurate.

It’s location is also why I ignore when people claims that massive heat soak from a open intake happens at idle... it’s reading temp from something within 5-6” of the cylinder head, and well cause I’ve ran 4 different intake setups on my car with 2 of them being open and 2 closed so I have actual first hand reference.

Also to be noted the IAT reading is molded and my tuner said that molding does get effected with turbo upgrades.
Gotcha. I wouldn’t use the word massive at all. I’m sure there’s a slight increase if you’ve been waiting on a stupid train to finally pass. Or a crazy long red light. But I wouldn’t say massive. Plus all you’d have to do is maybe drive like 2-5 blocks and your back to ambient.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Gotcha. I wouldn’t use the word massive at all. I’m sure there’s a slight increase if you’ve been waiting on a stupid train to finally pass. Or a crazy long red light. But I wouldn’t say massive. Plus all you’d have to do is maybe drive like 2-5 blocks and your back to ambient.
My car hits 170-180 sitting in Vegas summer traffic, lol.

once I get into boost it’s back down to normal 15-20 over ambient when cruising and staying under 10psi ... when doing pulls it’s typically 10-15 over unless I’m spraying meth, then you get:
B4139AA1-C524-4833-96DC-41CC9A0CE273.jpeg

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My car hits 170-180 sitting in Vegas summer traffic, lol.

once I get into boost it’s back down to normal 15-20 over ambient when cruising and staying under 10psi ... when doing pulls it’s typically 10-15 over unless I’m spraying meth, then you get:
View attachment 191163
Meth is awesome. I ran 75/25 back in the day.

your numbers before meth, is this on the stock ic?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Meth is awesome. I ran 75/25 back in the day.

your numbers before meth, is this on the stock ic?
no way... I’m boosting 29psi to redline (7000rpms), stock ic would not like that at all.
It’s a treadstone fmic.

with stock IC my temps were 10-15 higher than what I listed... very common to have IATs 30 over near the top of a pull even with the is20 baby boost at redline.

I did IC before I did downpipe.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
holy crap that's a lot of boost and timing! is this on e85? so iatf is after the intercooler then? if so your intercooler sheds heat real quick

Ed sure loves his timing. This is the second 3rd gear pull on the EQT E30 Stage 1 tune. I specified 2nd pull as the IATs started out high after turning around from the previous pull.

File says eqt e30 stage 2map...

This happens to be a stage 1 E30, just the second pull in a series. In the log you can see the tune details in the last data set.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
no way... I’m boosting 29psi to redline (7000rpms), stock ic would not like that at all.
It’s a treadstone fmic.

with stock IC my temps were 10-15 higher than what I listed... very common to have IATs 30 over near the top of a pull even with the is20 baby boost at redline.

I did IC before I did downpipe.
Thanks!

beat

Car(s)
GTI 2018
The VWR intercooler is on sale right now, any fitment issue with it? It says "minor plastic" trimming required, wondering where exactly, I can't seems to find any installation doc on it.