GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How are the EQT OTS / base Accessport tunes?

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
With any of these options (Cobb LC/TC), if it turns out I don’t want them, can I just leave them deactivated? Guess I’m wondering why not just check the box for those options no matter what if the end user can choose if & when they want them activated?
I believe if you check that option it is automatically enabled with the OTS map.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
With any of these options (Cobb LC/TC), if it turns out I don’t want them, can I just leave them deactivated? Guess I’m wondering why not just check the box for those options no matter what if the end user can choose if & when they want them activated?

iirc, checking the box "unlocks" it in the tune. If you don't check the box you won't have it at all, if you do, you'll have it forever on that tune.

i.e., I have the LC and TC and there's no option to just turn it off (that I've found). Other tunes I have don't advertise the options at all and within the AP the menus for them are grayed out.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Kinda unrelated, but recently purchased the Cobb package from EQT including the XL and tune, and the Cobb AP is arriving much earlier than the rest of the kit.

Can I pair the AP and flash an OTS stage 1 file from Cobb until getting the XL installed and etc?

Or is that something I have to purchase separately from Cobb?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Kinda unrelated, but recently purchased the Cobb package from EQT including the XL and tune, and the Cobb AP is arriving much earlier than the rest of the kit.

Can I pair the AP and flash an OTS stage 1 file from Cobb until getting the XL installed and etc?

Or is that something I have to purchase separately from Cobb?

Yes you can.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Been running my EQT Stage 1 and DSG tune for a few weeks now. I'm pretty happy with it, no real complaints, other than compared to my '16 GTI 6MT (which was running a JB4 on map 2, and had a BMS pedal tuner), it feels like the tune lacks the same punch I had in 2nd/3rd gear. On my '16, if I was in 2nd at 3k RPM, if I put my foot to the floor, it'd hard throw me back on my seat. It feels like I quite never get that same feeling on the '19. Not sure if its because of the gearing on the 7 speed DSG, or if the tune is more refined to provide smoother power throughout (and more power in higher RPMs), or if the pedal tuner made that much of a difference).

What do you guys think?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Been running my EQT Stage 1 and DSG tune for a few weeks now. I'm pretty happy with it, no real complaints, other than compared to my '16 GTI 6MT (which was running a JB4 on map 2, and had a BMS pedal tuner), it feels like the tune lacks the same punch I had in 2nd/3rd gear. On my '16, if I was in 2nd at 3k RPM, if I put my foot to the floor, it'd hard throw me back on my seat. It feels like I quite never get that same feeling on the '19. Not sure if its because of the gearing on the 7 speed DSG, or if the tune is more refined to provide smoother power throughout (and more power in higher RPMs), or if the pedal tuner made that much of a difference).

What do you guys think?

Pedal Tuner definitely makes a difference in throttle response but not power. Were you using Sport mode with the DSG?

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Pedal Tuner definitely makes a difference in throttle response but not power. Were you using Sport mode with the DSG?
I think most of my tests were done using the paddles. Wanted to mimic a manual as much as I could to try to get that same punch.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Just to input to the original question, I ran EQT Stage 2 OTS map for around 4 months and had lots of knock retard and other issues, felt like the engine was really straining itself. I referred to Jon at 5150 and his THOTS Stage 2 tune and the car feels like it should have come from the factory this way. The power is smooth and usable, not overly aggressive and harsh (my experience with the EQT map). Not sure if im an outlier but the 5150 map has been far superior than the EQT.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Just to input to the original question, I ran EQT Stage 2 OTS map for around 4 months and had lots of knock retard and other issues, felt like the engine was really straining itself. I referred to Jon at 5150 and his THOTS Stage 2 tune and the car feels like it should have come from the factory this way. The power is smooth and usable, not overly aggressive and harsh (my experience with the EQT map). Not sure if im an outlier but the 5150 map has been far superior than the EQT.
2 part question :
part 1 - are you responding from your phone?
part 2 - how often are you texting about THOTS and (capitalizing it too), that your phone auto corrected OTS to that? haha!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
2 part question :
part 1 - are you responding from your phone?
part 2 - how often are you texting about THOTS and (capitalizing it too), that your phone auto corrected OTS to that? haha!

5150 calls it "THOTS". It's not his wording, it's 5150s.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
[I notice a difference QUOTE="Ghost GTI, post: 7522801, member: 169615"]
A little bit, yes. But not extensively when testing this out. Though, would I notice a difference? Doesn't manual provide the same throttle input as sport?
[/QUOTE]

A little bit, yes. But not extensively when testing this out. Though, would I notice a difference? Doesn't manual provide the same throttle input as sport?

I don't know about the throttle input being the same but it seems like it would be. I just like S mode because I can be driving along in Drive and pull the lever back to S and it knows the best gear instantly whereas with the paddles I couldn't get to the proper gear anywhere near as fast.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What does the TH stand for?

Screenshot_20201026-162404.png