GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 HPDE Plans

How many HPDE days are you planning for 2020?

• None

• 1 to 3

• 4 to 5

• 6 to 10

• 11 to 15

• 16 to 20

• 21 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
This is a cut and paste from the Track Rats thread on the Mk6 forum since this is the one place where the Mk6/Mk7 guys tend to overlap.

I had a great day at Laguna Seca on Sunday. I ran with the Point By group. Everyone was supposed to have 4+ days of experience and it showed. I lined up 2nd or 3rd in every session and spend the majority of the day badgering a guy in a C7 Grand Sport coupe. In the third session I was right on his tail and he got out of shape and decided to let me by. I was cackling like a madman. LOL!

In the fourth session I was pushing the car pretty hard and the DSC was kicking in a lot. I got stuck behind a WRX for a couple laps and he wasn't letting me by. Then my oil light came on and the car went into limp mode. I pulled into the pits let it sit for about 30 seconds and the CEL went away. I did 2 more laps and the car seemed fine. After the session I checked the oil and it was in the bottom of the normal range so I added 1/2 a quart. I checked the OBD and there weren't any codes. I'm assuming that it was high oil temperature.

I had several laps in the 1:50:XX range. My PB was a 1:50:53. That's 2 seconds faster than my previous PB.

I ran 35 PSI HOT in the RS4s. I was getting even temps all the way across the tires. The fronts were in the mid 150s and the rears were in the mid 120's.

Nice! You get your engine oil issue sorted? I've noticed a bit of blow by on top of the filler cap after track days, but not enough to require a top off or throw a CEL. Moving forward, I'm planning to run the Spulen V2 Catch Can to try and alleviate this.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
It started raining just before the fifth/last session of the day. I decided that I didn't want to run it so I'm not 100% sure.

Nice! You get your engine oil issue sorted? I've noticed a bit of blow by on top of the filler cap after track days, but not enough to require a top off or throw a CEL. Moving forward, I'm planning to run the Spulen V2 Catch Can to try and alleviate this.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
This is a cut and paste from the Track Rats thread on the Mk6 forum since this is the one place where the Mk6/Mk7 guys tend to overlap.

I had a great day at Laguna Seca on Sunday. I ran with the Point By group. Everyone was supposed to have 4+ days of experience and it showed. I lined up 2nd or 3rd in every session and spend the majority of the day badgering a guy in a C7 Grand Sport coupe. In the third session I was right on his tail and he got out of shape and decided to let me by. I was cackling like a madman. LOL!

In the fourth session I was pushing the car pretty hard and the DSC was kicking in a lot. I got stuck behind a WRX for a couple laps and he wasn't letting me by. Then my oil light came on and the car went into limp mode. I pulled into the pits let it sit for about 30 seconds and the CEL went away. I did 2 more laps and the car seemed fine. After the session I checked the oil and it was in the bottom of the normal range so I added 1/2 a quart. I checked the OBD and there weren't any codes. I'm assuming that it was high oil temperature.

I had several laps in the 1:50:XX range. My PB was a 1:50:53. That's 2 seconds faster than my previous PB.

I ran 35 PSI HOT in the RS4s. I was getting even temps all the way across the tires. The fronts were in the mid 150s and the rears were in the mid 120's.

Looks great Chris. With those lap times, you should have been in the point-by with NCRC it's too bad they bumped you down. I would have loved to follow you and see your line. Maybe next time!

Does the mk6 have an oil level sensor like in the Mk7? When Cliff was low on oil due to his catch can issue, his car would throw a warning of do not exceed 4000 RPM and I believe a limp mode, which I think went away from topping off. Maybe it's just the car protecting itself when cornering forces slosh the oil around and the sensor is seeing very low oil.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

That's definitely an appropriate lap time for the point by group. I was stuck behind the world's slowest Viper for about a half a lap, and when you consider I lapped him about 6 laps into the session then his lap times must have been well over 2 minutes.

Does the mk6 have an oil level sensor like in the Mk7? When Cliff was low on oil due to his catch can issue, his car would throw a warning of do not exceed 4000 RPM and I believe a limp mode, which I think went away from topping off. Maybe it's just the car protecting itself when cornering forces slosh the oil around and the sensor is seeing very low oil.

The car threw a 15188 - Oil Pressure Switch code when that happened.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Hey I have never been to Laguna, but that looked like fun. What brakes and mods are you running? Your car seems well sorted.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
Thanks DarkArrow. It would have been fun to follow someone in a similar car.

I'm guessing that it probably does. It didn't throw a code so I couldn't see why it went into limp mode. I'll have to keep my eye on the oil level from now on.

Looks great Chris. With those lap times, you should have been in the point-by with NCRC it's too bad they bumped you down. I would have loved to follow you and see your line. Maybe next time!

Last edited:

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
Integrated Engineering Stage 1 ECU + DSG tunes
Brembo GT 328mm BBK
H&R 26mm FSB
H&R 24mm RSB
Ground Control Camber Plates
SuperPro Antilift kit
OZ Allegerrita HLT SE 18x8
Porterfield R4 front pads
225/40/18 Hankook RS4

-1.4 camber F/R
-.1 toe F/R

It is pretty well sorted for this power level.

Hey I have never been to Laguna, but that looked like fun. What brakes and mods are you running? Your car seems well sorted.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
Thanks Cliff. I'd be happy to run point by from now on. Novice was killing me. Most of them were fine, but there's always 1-2 in each group that have zero situational awareness and/or just can't stand to let an econobox pass their high dollar sports car.

That's definitely an appropriate lap time for the point by group

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Back on track (literally). Signed up for Homestead, Nov. 21st with Chinmotorsports. Bought a set of tires back in early March and I can finally use them!

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I’m signed up for Laguna Seca on 10/10 with SpeedSF. Will be in point-by required group. I’ve set a goal of beating Randy Pobst’s stock GTI lap time of 150.1. I would be extremely surprised if I beat that this next time out but I think it is a good long term goal to aim for being that my car is stock power level. I do miss having the power I used to but I have to say it’s fun as hell passing M3s and Camaros in a 220hp VW.

Also shooting for Sonoma Raceway on 11/5.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Anyone running Summit? Next event will be Summit Point Main FATT (Friday at the Track) 9/25 running with advanced group. First time back at Summit in over a year. Can't wait.

Lime Rock was awesome with SCDA 8/21.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
I just signed up for Laguna Seca on September 29th (Tuesday) with NCRC. I need to get out of the house. Yesterday was the first time in 2-3 weeks where it wasn't super smoky or super hot here. I've got a bad case of cabin fever.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I need another new track outline for my back window, plus I'll want to test the new PCV/catch can getting installed in the next week or so, so I signed up for the Thunderhill 5 mile track with NCRC on 10/16 in their point by group. With another 2 days coming up at Buttonwillow next month, I'll have to revise my track day count downward to 9 for the year.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Signed up for trackdaze on November 5th and 6th at VIR!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I will be at VIR on the 7th and 8th With Potomac Audi.

Busy putting my car back together