GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 HPDE Plans

How many HPDE days are you planning for 2020?

• None

• 1 to 3

• 4 to 5

• 6 to 10

• 11 to 15

• 16 to 20

• 21 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Correct they do but you also have to factor lap times as well and shift when necessary. Putting extremely fast cars on track with slow ones isnt smart for hpde's.
You end up with too many run groups creating a novice driver with fast car vs a novice driver and no. Fast car...same applies as you go to intermediate/advanced.

I could see maybe doing that for novice groups but the higher levels should be skilled enough to play nice with eachother.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
We don't have any "branded" tracks, or tracks that host regional/national events local to me, so I'll be doing HPDE / Super Lap Battle on Arroyo Seco Raceway out here in Deming, NM. We run 6 events yearly, and it's a lot of fun for being a small/quirky track. I'd really like to get 1-2 HPDE events this season on a "branded" track somewhere in the the region, though.

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just signed up for Road Atlanta 7 through 9 May.

Curtisloe11

Car(s)
1999 PASSAT 1.8tGLS
$250 for a full weekend or out $30k when you wreck the car. You tell me. It can depend on the track and if you're staring at concrete barriers 10' away or 100' of open grass everywhere.

You're a moron.
I Dont know how much exp you have there is a 6 race seriers in Oio SC,GA,and back to another track in SC.The first race pays $50.000 to the winner the race in Savannah GA pays $20.000 it is oval and somewhat stock 4cylFWD.people from all around the USA come to race in it.There is a 4 day event at Bristol Motor speedway .we had 160 entries turning it into differnt driving skills or the fast cars and the not so fast cars.also you get to race 2 to 3 times a day depending on how you do .Then the A,B.C main event.You can watch it on you tube and get the info on racing 51.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
In case you haven't heard, they're adding a pedestrian bridge (finally!) and a chicane on the front straight (about which I have mixed feelings)

https://www.roadracingworld.com/new...7Add6Q51fCg4FtU-E_jbD8dReY7HmWFLSh95Pqbj0O7XM

Yup, I've heard. The bridge should be excellent - so much of that track is hidden unless you're driving on it. My friends tell me that the chicane is going to be used only for motorcycle events, probably to keep them under orbital launch velocity by the time they reach T2. There is an existing chicane there that is visible in satellite photography, so presumably this is an improved v2 chicane.

I am changing my plans this year due to the pandemic. I don't think a 1600 mile road trip will be consistent with any travel advisories likely to be in place in CA, OR, or WA this summer, so I'm going to stick with California tracks this year.

Reactions: kch

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Road Atlanta was canceled, but I'm signed up for Daytona 31 July. Looking at a couple local days at FIRM and Sebring in the fall. I'll do a 5 more autocrosses too, but that's about it. Trying to stay local as possible. I'll use an RV to do Sebring, that way I don't have to deal with being around people. I wanted to do Grid Life South, but that'll have to wait a year or two now.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Just signed up for Laguna Seca Aug 22nd. I think I’m going to try and run Thunderhill West with Reno SCCA on 7/17 as well but not sure yet, in the middle of moving.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I am registered for Laguna Seca on 7/25-26 with NCRC. Another member of this forum is attending that event too. Next up after that will likely be a TNiA event at Thunderhill West on 9/17.

ayao

Passed Driver's Ed
I am registered for Laguna Seca on 7/25-26 with NCRC. Another member of this forum is attending that event too. Next up after that will likely be a TNiA event at Thunderhill West on 9/17.

A friend of mine who was there 7/25 referred to a blue R in his group as “a weapon” and the “Fastest in our group” ...

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
A friend of mine who was there 7/25 referred to a blue R in his group as “a weapon” and the “Fastest in our group” ...
I think Cliffs R is Grey though...

I am running Laguna Seca 8/22 and then Thunderhill West 9/5. Hopefully Sonoma in October too.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

That's Dark Arrow, aka: Jeff. Jeff is a very talented driver and he took my spot in the point by run group today. He originally signed up for the solo group for both days, but he's fast enough to run in point by. He was concerned about running in point by, which has more liberal passing rules. NCRC's solo group is limited to passing on the straights, while point by is passing anywhere with a point, and open passing on certain straights.

I had all kinds of mechanical issues yesterday. My coils were failing and causing misfires, but I was able to buy a new set at Seaside VW and I only missed the first session. Then my car started hemorrhaging oil into the catch can. After 1+ sessions my car was a quart low and there was maybe 20 ounces of fluid in the catch car. We emptied the catch can and topped up the oil and I went out for the last session to see what would happen. When I came in I was a half quart low and there was 3-4" of liquid in the catch can. Griffin had the head apart to fix an oil leak last week and I think something isn't right with that repair. I decided to bail on today and avoid risking damage to my engine. I'll be calling them in the morning.

edit: My car is in front, and Jeff's car is between the TTRS and the GT350.
2020-07-25 14.36.55.jpg

Last edited:

ayao

Passed Driver's Ed
That's Dark Arrow, aka: Jeff. Jeff is a very talented driver and he took my spot in the point by run group today. He originally signed up for the solo group for both days, but he's fast enough to run in point by. He was concerned about running in point by, which has more liberal passing rules. NCRC's solo group is limited to passing on the straights, while point by is passing anywhere with a point, and open passing on certain straights.

I had all kinds of mechanical issues yesterday. My coils were failing and causing misfires, but I was able to buy a new set at Seaside VW and I only missed the first session. Then my car started hemorrhaging oil into the catch can. After 1+ sessions my car was a quart low and there was maybe 20 ounces of fluid in the catch car. We emptied the catch can and topped up the oil and I went out for the last session to see what would happen. When I came in I was a half quart low and there was 3-4" of liquid in the catch can. Griffin had the head apart to fix an oil leak last week and I think something isn't right with that repair. I decided to bail on today and avoid risking damage to my engine. I'll be calling them in the morning.

edit: My car is in front, and Jeff's car is between the TTRS and the GT350.
View attachment 180733

I guess that’s how some track days go — spending more time chasing down mechanicals than driving. In a really weird and twisted way that’s part of the fun...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Daytona was canceled. 😪😪😪