GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual vs. DSG

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I’m sorry about your injuries.

My stage 2 is two weeks old and I love it. But a Porsche is my dream car. I’ve finally convinced my wife to let me start saving up for whatever iteration of Cayman T is in 6-10 years. Manual. No sat nav.:love:
I’d take a rs3 myself. Need rear seats.

But porches are so awesome man. I love them

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
But porches are so awesome man. I love them

I spec’d out my dream Cayman T on the configuratior. Bare bones, guards red exterior and the sport chrono face. That’s it! Haha.

I actually wouldn’t mind an RS3 as well. Just wish they gave it real Quattro and gave us the Avant here.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I spec’d out my dream Cayman T on the configuratior. Bare bones, guards red exterior and the sport chrono face. That’s it! Haha.

I actually wouldn’t mind an RS3 as well. Just wish they gave it real Quattro and gave us the Avant here.
Unpopular opinion. But I passed on the r because of how weird it felt when I test drove it

Rtarded

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 APR S2 DSG R
What neighborhood? I'm in Lakeview.

the difference would be imperceptible driving on the street unless you're the kind of person that uses LC at red lights and stop signs. I probably did over a dozen actual half mile pulls against dsg cars with my manual. roll races were much closer than you'd think given how much the manuals get bashed. never lost by even a full car length. I made slightly less power than both cars in the videos below. don't have videos from some of the neck and neck races because my dashcam doesnt get the sides and i didn't have passengers. All that said, my DSG is significantly quicker in the 1/4 than my manual was with all of the same parts but with a much lower trap speed.

jb1 vs a um stage 2 car:

Would have taken him in the half mile once I upgraded to the jb4. was reeling him in in the 1/4 in this video.

jb4 vs an apr stage 2 car (turn your volume off):

just for fun 1/4 mile against the same apr car when launch control doesn't work.
Im in the burbs now adays. bout 25 miles outside the loop.
Those are some sweet runs. I test drove the manual and really like it but I opted against it bc I fell in love with the DSG.
It's ok tho I use the trip stick and pretend its sequential lol. I only think i made the wrong choice like twice a week.
I would never bash the manual I would simply argue two clutches are faster than one these days.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I would never bash the manual I would simply argue two clutches are faster than one these days.

And that's really it that fuels this whole argument/debate/conversation.

There's no doubt it's faster. Is it more fun/fulfilling/satisfying? Personally, 3 pedals are.

Add in the rest of life into the mix (traffic, injuries..etc) and it's no longer black or white.

Rtarded

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 APR S2 DSG R
And that's really it that fuels this whole argument/debate/conversation.

There's no doubt it's faster. Is it more fun/fulfilling/satisfying? Personally, 3 pedals are.

Add in the rest of life into the mix (traffic, injuries..etc) and it's no longer black or white.
Yeah like I said a few comments back manual is no doubt 100% more fun.
I don't think anyone could make the argument that the DSG is more satisfying or fun than the 6MT. That would be a silly assertion.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I suppose the kink in the 6MT armour is that, stock, the Mk7 6MT is mediocre, at best.

Then again, as an F1 fan, I find a certain appeal to driving twisties in DSG using both feet. That's how I drive my CRV coz I got used to it haha

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah like I said a few comments back manual is no doubt 100% more fun.
I don't think anyone could make the argument that the DSG is more satisfying or fun than the 6MT. That would be a silly assertion.

When I'm cruising down the highway in a DSG and another car pulls along side of me and wants to go it's very satisfying to me that I can just slap the DSG into Sport mode drop to 3rd gear instantly and take off much faster than I could with a manual.

No doubt the manual is more engaging though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Let's be honest here, Jim, slapping is fun even on bass guitars, among others. :cautious:

New debate - wheel-mounted or column-mounted paddles?

Neither for me. The EQT staged DSG tune is so good I just use Sport mode for spirited driving. Like the situation I described in my previous post using the paddles to go from 6th gear to 3rd gear is much faster in Sport mode. Takes 3 clicks of the paddles to go from 6th to 3rd versus just quickly pull the shifter lever back to Sport mode and instantly drop to 3rd gear.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I'm a column-mounted guy if I had to have one.

But thanks for keeping the spirit of Colin (McRae) alive in your work commute :cool:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I suppose the kink in the 6MT armour is that, stock, the Mk7 6MT is mediocre, at best.

But so is the DSG in it's stock form (aka OEM TCU). They're both trash. I've owned 2 MT MK7s and 1 DSG MK7 and the DSG sucks until you get a tune + mounts, and the manual sucks until you do the CDV delete, spring delete, clutch stop, and mounts. The difference is I can at least drive my MT as-is now, with a warranty, until my clutch dies. I basically couldn't stand to drive my DSG, EVEN AFTER I tuned it just because the Uni DSG tune is a deplorable waste of money. Beyond me how anyone whose ever had it considered it an upgrade.

So the way I see it:
DSG sucks until you tune it, which sucks a lot for people who want to keep their warranty.

Manual sucks until you perform ~$250 worth of upgrades to improve the general shifting action. One might say it sucks until you replace the clutch entirely, but I am perfectly happy with it as-is, until that day comes.

But im a manual guy. I could've driven a bone-stock 6MT for 60K miles and still enjoyed it more than a bone-stock DSG for 60K miles.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
But so is the DSG in it's stock form (aka OEM TCU). They're both trash. I've owned 2 MT MK7s and 1 DSG MK7 and the DSG sucks until you get a tune + mounts, and the manual sucks until you do the CDV delete, spring delete, clutch stop, and mounts. The difference is I can at least drive my MT as-is now, with a warranty, until my clutch dies. I basically couldn't stand to drive my DSG, EVEN AFTER I tuned it just because the Uni DSG tune is a deplorable waste of money. Beyond me how anyone whose ever had it considered it an upgrade.

So the way I see it:
DSG sucks until you tune it, which sucks a lot for people who want to keep their warranty.

Manual sucks until you perform ~$250 worth of upgrades to improve the general shifting action. One might say it sucks until you replace the clutch entirely, but I am perfectly happy with it as-is, until that day comes.

But im a manual guy. I could've driven a bone-stock 6MT for 60K miles and still enjoyed it more than a bone-stock DSG for 60K miles.

Great points I never thought of.

To fix this issue regardless of transmission, VW should change its Golf model line up to:
Golf > Golf SportWagen > Golf GTI > Golf R > Porshce GT3