GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone added the rear seat USB charger ports from China?

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
So, has anyone installed this? Also, could one rewire the harness that comes with it to piggyback on the outlet in the console?
I'm assuming the pictured unit is more favorable for the Golfs with armrest console access, as this unit looks like it would cover the console compartment opening.

Even if nobody has, I'm going to order it in the next 2 weeks and give some feedback. It would just be nice to know the fit & finish ahead of time.

Just joined to comment on this.

What year / make / model do you have?

I just got mine from AliExpress and the fit / finish is amazing, except the retention clips are different from my 2016 MK7 GTI. I can post up some pictures later

If you're in the US you could buy mine off me. I doubt I'll get anything back from the seller.

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
Here are my side-by-side photos with the differences outlined. I have the the '16 GTI center console which does not have the drink cover and has a manual e-brake. I believe that's the main reason that it doesn't fit properly. I might be able to modify the tabs to make it work, but not sure it will be secure enough.
Let me know if you guys have any questions or want any specific photos.

Attachments

• VW USB REAR VENT_Page_1.jpg
    VW USB REAR VENT_Page_1.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 633
  • VW USB REAR VENT_Page_2.jpg
    VW USB REAR VENT_Page_2.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 589
  • VW USB REAR VENT_Page_3.jpg
    VW USB REAR VENT_Page_3.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 558
  • VW USB REAR VENT_Page_4.jpg
    VW USB REAR VENT_Page_4.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 519
  • VW USB REAR VENT_Page_5.jpg
    VW USB REAR VENT_Page_5.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 514
  • VW USB REAR VENT_Page_6.jpg
    VW USB REAR VENT_Page_6.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 478
  • VW USB REAR VENT_Page_7.jpg
    VW USB REAR VENT_Page_7.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 582

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
I did it to my UK 2018 GTI, and it fitted no problem, but then we have the high line centre console and e-handbrake here in the UK

Last edited:

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
I just attempted to install this from AliExpress and it appears to be a 100% OEM part (box, cables, stamping, etc) BUT I am not getting any power to the rear USB ports.

I had to modify the wiring harness as there was a plastic guide that did not line up with the connector on the USB port so I'm suspicious of the USB port or wiring harness parts as being incorrect. The factory 12V still functions without issue.

I depinned the plug that goes to the USB ports and do get +5 and GND on them.

Did you need to do any modifications Sootchucker? What color was the plug that goes into the USB ports?

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
I should add, I have not put everything back together intentionally. From looking at it I don't believe there are any grounding points or stuff to plug back in before the USB ports should work.

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
I don't believe you should get +5V and GND on the harness leading to the USB ports, you should get +12 and GND as its a 12V to 5V regulator. If you're getting 5V you might have tapped into the cigarette LED wire instead of the actual supply wire.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I should add, I have not put everything back together intentionally. From looking at it I don't believe there are any grounding points or stuff to plug back in before the USB ports should work.
Any pics?

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
I don't believe you should get +5V and GND on the harness leading to the USB ports, you should get +12 and GND as its a 12V to 5V regulator. If you're getting 5V you might have tapped into the cigarette LED wire instead of the actual supply wire.

That would make sense... So I messaged the vendor who said they think they grabbed the wrong harness, hopefully not a 2 month wait for that!

Maybe I'll work on de-pinning the other part of the harness and swap the two power pins.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Any pics?

I just have the one handy from where I depinned stuff and opened the USB port. The post/guide I had to shave down was along the right side of the connector.

Wonder what harness would only tap into the 5V line though and not 12?

IMG_4233.JPG

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
That would make sense... So I messaged the vendor who said they think they grabbed the wrong harness, hopefully not a 2 month wait for that!

Maybe I'll work on de-pinning the other part of the harness and swap the two power pins.

What Vendor did you purchase from?